The Manchester United Thread

The players I want to sign this summer (or at least make a move for):

Toni Kroos, William Carvalho, Luke Shaw, Mehdi Benatia, Ilkay Gundogan, Antoine Griezmann (although he's apparently agreed to join PSG), Ezequiel Garay, Nico Gaitan, Eliaquim Mangala.

A mixture of any of those as long as the correct positions are covered and I'll be extremely happy.

All are "gettable" although I honestly believe Kroos is using our interest to get a better contract at Bayern. Garay is said to be close to joining (again) while I think Gaitan would be an incredible signing for us. Carvalho is a must buy for our midfield while Benatia is the answer to our defensive woes IMO. Luke Shaw could be our left-back for 15 years and if we are really interested in replacing Rafael, which we shouldn't be, then Seamus Coleman is the man to come in.

Anyone I'm missing there or any disagree?

Toni Kroos, William Carvalho, Luke Shaw, Mehdi Benatia, Ilkay Gundogan, Antoine Griezmann (although he's apparently agreed to join PSG), Ezequiel Garay, Nico Gaitan, Eliaquim Mangala.

A mixture of any of those as long as the correct positions are covered and I'll be extremely happy.

All are "gettable" although I honestly believe Kroos is using our interest to get a better contract at Bayern. Garay is said to be close to joining (again) while I think Gaitan would be an incredible signing for us. Carvalho is a must buy for our midfield while Benatia is the answer to our defensive woes IMO. Luke Shaw could be our left-back for 15 years and if we are really interested in replacing Rafael, which we shouldn't be, then Seamus Coleman is the man to come in.

Pretty much covered most of them.

But for some reason I have a feeling RVP will go this summer...Will Rooney play up front with Welbeck and Hernandez as back up? Are they decent back ups?

Edit: I really like Ward Prowse from the Saints.

Last edited:

200 Million plus investment in 1 window? Not realistic IMO.

Scudamore should keep his trap shut. Get football's house in order before slagging off others. ****

200 Million plus investment in 1 window? Not realistic IMO.

Not all of them. For example if we get Garay and Benatia I don't want Mangala. Just those are the players I'd like to see us make a move for. As long as we get in enough for the positions we need I don't mind which ones we get from that group.

Ideally this summer I'd take Kroos, Carvalho, Benatia, Garay, Shaw and Gaitan/Griezmann. Others are simply for if we don't get our main targets.

History is very relevant, actually. Because only someone following a club with no history could come up with ridiculous theory that living legend disrupts the whole club operation just by showing his face at the game.
Legends is different thing, you have no idea how much of Chelsea club icons are employed at Chelsea and others are ST holders, but it's no competition of history, is it? Let's stop talking about that.

And he's suggesting that Because Fergie is just no other legend watching the game, he's the previous manager, the one who chose current one. He's probably still a board member and has a say in decisions. And the media glorification of the matter doesn't help. Everytime the media shows Fergie, A lot of United fans think where they'd be this season had he not retired etc. It's still a fairly normal thing but it's not ridiculous to suggest it "might" have an effect.

Legends is different thing, you have no idea how much of Chelsea club icons are employed at Chelsea and others are ST holders, but it's no competition of history, is it? Let's stop talking about that.

And he's suggesting that Because Fergie is just no other legend watching the game, he's the previous manager, the one who chose current one. He's probably still a board member and has a say in decisions. And the media glorification of the matter doesn't help. Everytime the media shows Fergie, A lot of United fans think where they'd be this season had he not retired etc. It's still a fairly normal thing but it's not ridiculous to suggest it "might" have an effect.

It is ridiculous thing. Moyes won't be watching Fergie in the stands, players concentrates on the game and not on Fergie. And if Sky zooms and show Fergie at that point of time none of the players or manager even watches that. I doubt players care to watch complete match again as they get DVDs prepared to analyze performance.

Even if they do, next time they play the game they don't even remember that. It's just media trying to create something and it's silly to even think a person in stand is having impact on manager and performance when he is not involved with playing squad anymore.

People do realise our legends haven been attending games since, well, forever. It's irrelevant.

People do realise our legends haven been attending games since, well, forever. It's irrelevant.

Yeap they are just not shown on TV when they attend like for example Henry with us everytime he's in London.

Not all of them. For example if we get Garay and Benatia I don't want Mangala. Just those are the players I'd like to see us make a move for. As long as we get in enough for the positions we need I don't mind which ones we get from that group.

Ideally this summer I'd take Kroos, Carvalho, Benatia, Garay, Shaw and Gaitan/Griezmann. Others are simply for if we don't get our main targets.

You'll do well to get 2/3 of those, you dont need 6 or 7 all at once, wont work. look at spurs, prob get away with 3 into the first team at a time, without a major **** up..

Last edited:
You'll do well to get 2/3 of those, you dont need 6 or 7 all at once, wont work. look at spurs, prob get away with 3 into the first team at a time, without a major **** up..

Actually, it's not like we really have a choice. In Spurs' case, probably someone used to playing FIFA was in charge of transfers, and decided to bring in a host of young players to try to improve the team... doesn't always work out.

We need one CB atleast, since our current ones are injured.. a lot! Also, promote Michael Keane. One CM atleast, if not two. One BTB and one Holding Mid. Carvalho and Kroos/Gundogan would be excellent, but that leaves the question of Fellaini. So probably Carvalho/Fernando, keep Fellaini, and bring in Kovacic, as a younger option who tries to attack(?). He's reportedly unhappy at his recent lack of games at Inter too.. One Winger for sure, since Young doesn't cut it anymore. LB since Evra is likely to leave, and generally forgets what defending is..

I'd love to see Shaqiri at United, but it is likely he'll move to Liverpool if Bayern sell..

Actually, it's not like we really have a choice. In Spurs' case, probably someone used to playing FIFA was in charge of transfers, and decided to bring in a host of young players to try to improve the team... doesn't always work out.

We need one CB atleast, since our current ones are injured.. a lot! Also, promote Michael Keane. One CM atleast, if not two. One BTB and one Holding Mid. Carvalho and Kroos/Gundogan would be excellent, but that leaves the question of Fellaini. So probably Carvalho/Fernando, keep Fellaini, and bring in Kovacic, as a younger option who tries to attack(?). He's reportedly unhappy at his recent lack of games at Inter too.. One Winger for sure, since Young doesn't cut it anymore. LB since Evra is likely to leave, and generally forgets what defending is..

I'd love to see Shaqiri at United, but it is likely he'll move to Liverpool if Bayern sell..

If you're playing fantasy football with the others, you might as well go ahead and think you can get Shaquri as well, once more wont make a difference, you're only hoping... DREAM BIG!!! :)

If you're playing fantasy football with the others, you might as well go ahead and think you can get Shaquri as well, once more wont make a difference, you're only hoping... DREAM BIG!!! :)

Why would we have to buy Shaqiri when our current squad (Rooney/Kagawa/Mata/Januzaj/Lingard) points towards a narrower 4-2-3-1?

Because most likely Kagawa will be gone in the summer, Lingard won't get a chance, and we haven't played narrow at all.. We've had IF's, but we haven't exactly played a 4-2-3-1 narrow till date. Plus, I also think van Persie will leave/will get injured for majority of the next season, pushing Rooney upfront, and Mata to AMC, thus going back to our traditional winger approach.

Every club has a history!

Don't take it personally mate, he's a Liverpool fan. History is all that they've got...

Having the old boss there is a bit different to just having former players attending games. I personally don't think it's a problem, because he's not doing a Shankley and turning up at training etc all the time. Of course, you can't win in that situation: attend and your "spectre still haunts OT", don't and you're showing a lack of support. Just another situation where whatever happens somehow reflects badly on Moyes.

Last edited:
Back