The Manchester United Thread

I wouldn't be so sure, contract talks have stalled after almost a year. His agent is his brother so I'd assume he's not just a moneygrabbing ****. I believe if a bid from any half-decent team is accepted, he's off.

That rules United out then. :D

A bit hard to find that article considering Robben said it at the start of the season. Did you read Michael ***'s article? Also Robben never said Pep's tactics were mentally taxing but were simply more complicated than it should be. It's one of the reasons Bayern didn't simply destroy United because Pep decided to try this completely strange formation which didn't really work. Again read ***'s article

That's what Milan players said too. They practiced without ball and made runs assuming there is a ball and played to them. It was very complicated.

No, I haven't read ***'s article and tbh I have no intention of it now. Btw Bayern didn't destroy ManUtd because ManUtd did brilliantly defensively. Simple as that.

Think we should stop paying attention to these articles....plus the ones in the Daily Mail that support Barton's views on Rooney, they're doing it just to get paid.

That's what Milan players said too. They practiced without ball and made runs assuming there is a ball and played to them. It was very complicated.

No, I haven't read ***'s article and tbh I have no intention of it now. Btw Bayern didn't destroy ManUtd because ManUtd did brilliantly defensively. Simple as that.

If you are refusing to read an article written by someone who knows far more about tactics than both of us and still stick to your stubborn rhetoric then their is no point continuing this ...

[h=1]Manchester United made a smart agreement with Wayne Rooney's new deal[/h]
Wayne Rooney’s bumper new five-and-a-half year deal at Manchester United was portrayed as an act of desperation. United, in a season spiraling disastrously, were simply throwing money at the problem; and wasting it by paying over the odds.

But the detail of the ground-breaking deal shows it is a far smarter agreement; there is reward and relatively no risk for United while, if it works, it is expected to be rolled out by other clubs for their star players.

Rooney’s new contract does not place him on a higher basic salary such as the ?300,000-a-week that has been claimed. Indeed there is understood to actually be a small drop in the ?240,000-a-week he was being paid – but there is limitless scope for future earnings if he and his adviser Paul Stretford tap into United’s commercial department.

That revolutionary part of the deal has still to be formalized and exists, at present, as an understanding between the two parties rather than something that has been contractually agreed. That in itself demonstrates the goodwill that now exists which is some turnaround from last year.

In essence it means that United, by agreeing the contract, have bought the sole mandate to conduct commercial deals for Rooney. The 28-year-old cannot now go off and negotiate his own deals. If, for example, a Japanese car company want to do a separate negotiation with Rooney then they will have to deal with United.

Manchester United made a smart agreement with Wayne Rooney's new deal - Telegraph

If you are refusing to read an article written by someone who knows far more about tactics than both of us and still stick to your stubborn rhetoric then their is no point continuing this ...

And by that logic are you even qualified to talk about Moyes and his tactics?

If I am not qualified then neither are you. Stop changing the topic btw

I'm not changing the topic. You said *** knows more than us so we have to agree with him and on the other hand you keep throwing **** at Moyes even when he grins. So from now on STFU about Moyes then.

On the actual topic, I said Pep is a genius and best manager in the world, not sure what's to dispute in that. You said Robben made some comments and didn't back it up (fair enough if you can) then I gave example of one of the best ever manager's training methods and how Milan players said same thing.

Edit: By your logic, Pep knows more about tactics then some Micahel *** who makes living by writing on tactics, so not sure *** is qualified enough to talk about Pep's tactics. I think it's settled now. If someone like Jose, Carlo makes any points about Pep's tactics then post it here.

Last edited:
Guardiola is unquestionably an extremely clever manager, but sometimes he can be rather too clever for his own good. Bayern Munichdid not require a surprise tactical approach to defeat this mediocre Manchester United side, and this tie should not have been quite so difficult for the European champions.

So you copied word by word when I posted about Pep, good.

Also what *** ignored big time is in CL anything can happen as proved by Liverpool and Chelsea. 2 poor teams winning CL, so it was right decision by Pep to keep everyone guessing and making some changes in the game.

If you think Michael *** is being anything more than passingly critical of Josep Guardiola you're out of your mind and are entirely hypocritical in your lambasting of others who aren't reading what he writes more widely. *** even points out that that specific tactic has worked before on more than one occasion. That it didn't work this time round was more a product of United's good defensive play and perhaps a minor lapse of judgement on Guardiola's part rather than a complete indictment on Guardiola's tactical approach. Yes, he can overcomplicate things, but even I - as someone who thinks Mourinho is a superior manager - can acknowledge that to get into the position to overcomplicate things you first have to be incredibly innovative.

Also what *** ignored big time is in CL anything can happen as proved by Liverpool and Chelsea. 2 poor teams winning CL, so it was right decision by Pep to keep everyone guessing and making some changes in the game.

Well yes, theoretically what Guardiola did was entirely right. United player with no left winger, so he moved Lahm to be a sort of hybrid defensive midfielder-fullback. This was in response to what United did in the first leg, leaving Rafinha totally unmarked because he was technically Bayern's least threatening player. So Moyes tried it again, and Guardiola responded. Therefore in theory, Guardiola had half of his tactics utterly spot on. Had he played Alaba in a more traditional full-back role rather than one mirroring Lahm then it might have worked better. Or it might not. I'm not Pep Guardiola, I can't really tell you, and neither can anyone else on this thread.

I'm not changing the topic. You said *** knows more than us so we have to agree with him and on the other hand you keep throwing **** at Moyes even when he grins. So from now on STFU about Moyes then.

On the actual topic, I said Pep is a genius and best manager in the world, not sure what's to dispute in that. You said Robben made some comments and didn't back it up (fair enough if you can) then I gave example of one of the best ever manager's training methods and how Milan players said same thing.

Edit: By your logic, Pep knows more about tactics then some Micahel *** who makes living by writing on tactics, so not sure *** is qualified enough to talk about Pep's tactics. I think it's settled now. If someone like Jose, Carlo makes any points about Pep's tactics then post it here.

Hold on ... I never said one word about Moyes tactics. Me lambasting Moyes' for grinning and me criticizing his tactics are two completely different things. Stop making things up. Also I never disputed that he is a great manager ... All I said was that he can sometimes over complicate things which may not always be in the benefit of his team. The only reason I was ****** was because you completely refused to read the article and stuck to your own stubborn rhetoric on how 'Pep is a great great manager and a immensely clever tactican'. Yes I completely agree but I just offered that sometimes he can overdo things. Not sure what's there to dispute on that

Yes indeed he did keep everyone guessing, including his own team. Let's face it, United are a mediocre team. Why does Pep have to try something totally out of the blue to try and beat them? Munich are playing at home and have an away goal advantage. He really didn't need to complicate things and give United even an inkling of hope that they had a chance in the game which he did when Evra scored

If you think Michael *** is being anything more than passingly critical of Josep Guardiola you're out of your mind and are entirely hypocritical in your lambasting of others who aren't reading what he writes more widely. *** even points out that that specific tactic has worked before on more than one occasion. That it didn't work this time round was more a product of United's good defensive play and perhaps a minor lapse of judgement on Guardiola's part rather than a complete indictment on Guardiola's tactical approach. Yes, he can overcomplicate things, but even I - as someone who thinks Mourinho is a superior manager - can acknowledge that to get into the position to overcomplicate things you first have to be incredibly innovative .

The thing is that I am never disputing the fact that Pep is an incredibly innovative manager. All I said was that sometimes he can over complicate things which is something you yourself just conceded in your post

<p>
Yes indeed he did keep everyone guessing, including his own team. Let's face it, United are a mediocre team. Why does Pep have to try something totally out of the blue to try and beat them? Munich are playing at home and have an away goal advantage. He really didn't need to complicate things and give United even an inkling of hope that they had a chance in the game which he did when Evra scored
</p>
<p>
 </p>
<p>
OK.</p>
<p>
 </p>
<p>
1 bad season for United and 1 good season for chelsea where they might end up winning **** all and we have to start reading this kind of half arsed posts. </p>
<p>
 </p>
<p>
How can a team with Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, Carrick, Vidic, Rafael is medicore is beyond me and maybe someone who can understand tactics and ***'s articles can answer that. </p>

Last edited:
Hold on ... I never said one word about Moyes tactics. Me lambasting Moyes' for grinning and me criticizing his tactics are two completely different things. Stop making things up. Also I never disputed that he is a great manager ... All I said was that he can sometimes over complicate things which may not always be in the benefit of his team. The only reason I was ****** was because you completely refused to read the article and stuck to your own stubborn rhetoric on how 'Pep is a great great manager and a immensely clever tactican'. Yes I completely agree but I just offered that sometimes he can overdo things. Not sure what's there to dispute on that

All his Career it worked superbly for him. Not sure what the problem is.

You never criticized Moyes' tactics? I can do a quick search but I'm not arsed this time after watching how you posted before and after Mata's transfer.

Why don't we just end this...it's getting tedious.

Pep is a great manager. Moyes will be allowed to spend and show his true ability next season- end of story.

Well yes, theoretically what Guardiola did was entirely right. United player with no left winger, so he moved Lahm to be a sort of hybrid defensive midfielder-fullback. This was in response to what United did in the first leg, leaving Rafinha totally unmarked because he was technically Bayern's least threatening player. So Moyes tried it again, and Guardiola responded. Therefore in theory, Guardiola had half of his tactics utterly spot on. Had he played Alaba in a more traditional full-back role rather than one mirroring Lahm then it might have worked better. Or it might not. I'm not Pep Guardiola, I can't really tell you, and neither can anyone else on this thread.

Remember reading somewhere that United left Rafinha unmarked as he was their least attacking threat and from what we have seen it was a good counter by Pep, which IMO he is brilliant at.

For ex, in 2009 CL final Fergie played Park to mark Messi but in that finals Eto'o moved to wing and Messi played centrally blowing Fergie's plan into pieces.

Re Alaba like you said you never know what would have happened, Pep thinks about every detail and if he puts him bit centrally then I'm sure it is to counter something that ManUtd worked in the first leg. He is excellent at it.

So looks like only 5th and 6th place will get Europa, how many of you wants us to qualify for Europa?

I know it's kind of impacts the league form but I for one would love to see ManUtd playing in Europe. I want to watch as many games as possible and the best way is to play midweek games. Also it would be good chance to play few youngsters.

So looks like only 5th and 6th place will get Europa, how many of you wants us to qualify for Europa?

I know it's kind of impacts the league form but I for one would love to see ManUtd playing in Europe. I want to watch as many games as possible and the best way is to play midweek games. Also it would be good chance to play few youngsters.

I do, semi rotate the group stages with the more talented youth (Powell etc). If we get through, we take it seriously and win it.

I do, semi rotate the group stages with the more talented youth (Powell etc). If we get through, we take it seriously and win it.

Yep, young players like Powell (who has already done well in Europa), Lingard, Keane, Wilson, Janko, Varela can play some part in it which would help their progress much much better than playing in U21 leagues.

Back