The Manchester United Thread

Well, they also tapped up Moyes and made him run down his contract at Everton so they didn't have to pay Everton a year of his contract either (?3m?). So it seems even for much smaller figures, the Glazers arn't against this sort of vaguely distateful underhand sort of business.

Hiring him for 10 months then trying to increase the already immense pressure on him so he just quits his job is pretty horrible mind you, Moyes seems like a nice guy with integrity, and I can't imagine that dilemma of constant pressure yesterday on top of a horrible season would have been easy.

Moyes was leaving anyway, that was his last year (he was free in the summer), so there wasnt actually anything to pay.. In fact Moyes was going to take a break after Everton (perhaps burnt out?) But in his position, would you turn it down?

Constant 'behind the scenes' leaks coming out about Moyes and Ferguson being against him. Presumably the United press staff are trying to **** all over any notion he'd been 'badly treated' by pushing the incompetence agenda. Very poor from Utd.

Oh and Mike, I do agree with you, however from an outsiders perspective, was this a long term succession plan involving Moyes? Or did they just pick the cheapest/'okay' manager who could steady the ship with a year remaining and that was that? I wasn't aware it was his final year at Everton regardless of what happened, but the whole chicken and egg argument is probably worthwhile conidering Fergie was reportedly going for about half a decade, just wanted another trophy in the cabinet.

Last edited:
Constant 'behind the scenes' leaks coming out about Moyes and Ferguson being against him. Presumably the United press staff are trying to **** all over any notion he'd been 'badly treated' by pushing the incompetence agenda. Very poor from Utd.

Oh and Mike, I do agree with you, however from an outsiders perspective, was this a long term succession plan involving Moyes? Or did they just pick the cheapest/'okay' manager who could steady the ship with a year remaining and that was that? I wasn't aware it was his final year at Everton regardless of what happened, but the whole chicken and egg argument is probably worthwhile conidering Fergie was reportedly going for about half a decade, just wanted another trophy in the cabinet.

To be honest, it's almost certainly true that he has lost Ferguson's support. It's increasingly clear he has lost almost everyone's support, so its hardly poor from United on that front. He wouldn't have been sacked with it, (or hired without it). It was long term plan. Ferguson turned up at his house and told him he was the new manager.

LVG is a bit of a wild card. He is great team builder, massive experience in the big clubs, with proven success, master tactician, plays great football, utilities young players. But you have to take bad with the good.

And the bad is: he is arrogant as ****, very bad at handling the media. With the way media are in UK there's a good chance he will implode within first month. His first season is also usually not the best, and you need that CL football right away. So there's that.

From what I've read he also doesn't like buying players because of his philosophy with youth? That could be an issue, as much as I'd love him to turn our squad/youth into his Ajax... I'm realistic in the fact we need instant improvement to secure CL next season.

To be honest, it's almost certainly true that he has lost Ferguson's support. It's increasingly clear he has lost almost everyone's support, so its hardly poor from United on that front. He wouldn't have been sacked with it, (or hired without it). It was long term plan. Ferguson turned up at his house and told him he was the new manager.

BBC Sport - Man Utd: Sir Alex Ferguson to help select David Moyes's replacement

[h=1]Man Utd: Sir Alex Ferguson to help select David Moyes's replacement[/h]
OH MY GOD NOOOOOO, WE MIGHT END UP WITH ****** ALEX MCLEISH.

Why the **** does Fergie get to help again... it's beyond me. Hope they don't go for another ****** British manager just for the sake of tradition.

It's the board choosing the manager, and Fergie happens to be on the board.

I'm worried if he has a single word to say in choosing a manager, let alone anything else. Picking Moyes was a total disaster and how he even should of been United manager in the first place was beyond me.

At least when Fergie was manager he was proven winner.

Giggs, Paul Scholes, Nicky ****..... this coaching staff is much better already. Love that they have got Scholes to come back!!

Hope next manager keeps Scholes... awesome.

I'm worried if he has a single word to say in choosing a manager, let alone anything else. Picking Moyes was a total disaster and how he even should of been United manager in the first place was beyond me.

At least when Fergie was manager he was proven winner.

He's still Alex Ferguson and one error of judgement shouldn't completely remove the respect for him.

He's still Alex Ferguson and one error of judgement shouldn't completely remove the respect for him.

Meh, true. But we simply can not mess this next appointment up, I mean it really is a critical situation.

@ManUtd: It's great to see Paul Scholes here at the Aon Training Complex today, assisting Ryan Giggs, Nicky **** and Phil Neville. #mufc

Good one, Paul Scholes is back to training ground after the day Moyes was sacked.

Scholes, Giggs, Phil Neville, ****.. Just get Gary and Beckham and that'l complete the class of 92.

Last edited:
Giggs, Paul Scholes, Nicky ****..... this coaching staff is much better already. Love that they have got Scholes to come back!!

Hope next manager keeps Scholes... awesome.

Well maybe. Great player does not necessarily make a great coach.

Scholes, Giggs, Phil Neville, ****.. Just get Gary and Beckham and that'l complete the class of 92.

Becks swans in and immediately raises the handsome level of the group by 400%.

Becks swans in and immediately raises the handsome level of the group by 400%.

28600705001_69988646001_rhumba18-166-1267717147748.jpg

BBC Sport - Man Utd: Sir Alex Ferguson to help select David Moyes's replacement

Man Utd: Sir Alex Ferguson to help select David Moyes's replacement

OH MY GOD NOOOOOO, WE MIGHT END UP WITH ****** ALEX MCLEISH.

Why the **** does Fergie get to help again... it's beyond me. Hope they don't go for another ****** British manager just for the sake of tradition.

Ferguson was brilliant for you; I don't like the man but you cannot deny he was one of the greatest managers of all time and is undoubtedly one of the most consistently excellent performers that the footballing world has known. I shouldn't even have to be saying this as his talent and success are pretty much acknowledged by everyone, even those that despise him.

He appoints David Moyes, a 50-50 who was either going to take himself to another level or crumble under the pressure, and it doesn't work out so suddenly he knows nothing? Seriously? You're going to just turn your back on one of your club's greatest icons, and by far the best source of advice you have, just because of one risk he took that didn't work out?

Ferguson was brilliant for you; I don't like the man but you cannot deny he was one of the greatest managers of all time and is undoubtedly one of the most consistently excellent performers that the footballing world has known. I shouldn't even have to be saying this as his talent and success are pretty much acknowledged by everyone, even those that despise him.

He appoints David Moyes, a 50-50 who was either going to take himself to another level or crumble under the pressure, and it doesn't work out so suddenly he knows nothing? Seriously? You're going to just turn your back on one of your club's greatest icons, and by far the best source of advice you have, just because of one risk he took that didn't work out?

I think Ferguson's error was that he thought he'd instilled something different in his team, and he could merely choose a man in his image to carry on the work, even if they were a 'lesser' name. The logic behind his decision is clear, but he had too much faith in the players. It's not like he just turned into some mental crackpot when he retired.

I think Ferguson's error was that he thought he'd instilled something different in his team, and he could merely choose a man in his image to carry on the work, even if they were a 'lesser' name. The logic behind his decision is clear, but he had too much faith in the players. It's not like he just turned into some mental crackpot when he retired.

good point but he was allways a mental crackpot but he knows his ****

Essentially, Ferguson's biggest flaw was that he underestimated himself? Interesting theory, I think I might agree.

can we not.....

...tear our eyes away from the sexiness? I'll agree with that one brother.

Back