The Manchester United Thread

Shaw's a good player who will likely become great. He is not worth 100k p/w.

He's 18. Just think about what his next contract will be like, let alone his first one. The best left back in the world in David Alaba isn't even on 100k p/w. That's crazy money.

Alberto Moreno would cost half of that, and be on half as much in wages.

Jordi Alba went for 12 million, and costs about 50k p/w iirc

As good as he is offensively Alberto Moreno is a liability when it comes to marking. I'd take a punt on Juan Bernat, though, perhaps not as flashy but if he's going to suck in defense at least I expect him to be cheaper :P

Shaw's a good player who will likely become great. He is not worth 100k p/w.

He's 18. Just think about what his next contract will be like, let alone his first one. The best left back in the world in David Alaba isn't even on 100k p/w. That's crazy money.

He'll be demanding Rooney's wages in a year....

Unfortunately not being in the CL this is the sort of wages we will have to offer players to actract them to come here.

Thing is though, isn't everyone going to look at Shaw and say 'Well, this lad, 18, won **** all.. I want a new contract to stay as you're clearly desperate..'

Either that, or every new signing coming in is going to see it as a benchmark for just how in-demand their services will be, and stick an extra naught on their request :P

This is why I want Van Gaal... from everything I've read and knowledge I've acquired he is really good with youth.... that is what United is all about.

I don't want Shaw if it means 100k per week for a first contract.. absolutely ludicrous money.

Plus Buttner had Robben in his back pocket in 1st leg... give the poor lad a go and just get another good LB. Buttner is raw but he can be good... what do you expect when he hardly ever plays.

Chalobah,

Isn't ready yet. He was going to be brought into the squad if he was outstanding again this year but he's been quiet so he may well see another year on loan.

McEachran
Is most definitely not ready yet, and would not suit Chelsea's 2 man midfield. I'm a big fan of his, but he needs atleast another season of loan development to work out his defensive issues, his frailty and certain problems with his confidence.

No offence but this is where it becomes obvious you don't have a clue what you're even talking about. MvG was purchased by us this summer and was included in pre season. It looked like he would play a role in the first team until he was badly injured. He has never been loaned by us.

Is great at scoring goals but not much else atm. Hence why he's being loaned out to get more experience and develop his game.

Probably the closest player on your list to be one who hasn't had a fair shout. He should have seen some cup games this year but with everything being so tight there hasn't really been a chance for him.

Was not looking like a Chelsea grade player when we sold him. He's done well since his move but he still wouldn't get much game time for us. He had lots of time to impress us and didn't.

Asked to go on loan.

Was looking good but not better than Cech when we loaned him out. Why take the risk of keeping him here at the Bridge when Cech was proven and consistent? That's going to change now hopefully but it made sense at the start of the season.

Developed well for us on loan, came into the first team, had an attitude problem, didn't adapt to the system, got sold for a tidy profit which we spent on Matic.

Got his chances and wasn't great. He then got a serious injury and we got considerably better players than him in. He suffered heavily from us winning the CL and getting Hazard.

You sound like someone who only knows about these players because of scaps of info on internet forums and Football Manager. If that's the case, probably better not to comment on them and risk looking like an idiot.

As good as he is offensively Alberto Moreno is a liability when it comes to marking. I'd take a punt on Juan Bernat, though, perhaps not as flashy but if he's going to suck in defense at least I expect him to be cheaper :P

Juan Bernat is a hilarious liability. I'd love to see him in a United shirt. :P

Isn't ready yet. He was going to be brought into the squad if he was outstanding again this year but he's been quiet so he may well see another year on loan.

Is most definitely not ready yet, and would not suit Chelsea's 2 man midfield. I'm a big fan of his, but he needs atleast another season of loan development to work out his defensive issues, his frailty and certain problems with his confidence.

No offence but this is where it becomes obvious you don't have a clue what you're even talking about. MvG was purchased by us this summer and was included in pre season. It looked like he would play a role in the first team until he was badly injured. He has never been loaned by us.

Is great at scoring goals but not much else atm. Hence why he's being loaned out to get more experience and develop his game.

Probably the closest player on your list to be one who hasn't had a fair shout. He should have seen some cup games this year but with everything being so tight there hasn't really been a chance for him.

Was not looking like a Chelsea grade player when we sold him. He's done well since his move but he still wouldn't get much game time for us. He had lots of time to impress us and didn't.

Asked to go on loan.

Was looking good but not better than Cech when we loaned him out. Why take the risk of keeping him here at the Bridge when Cech was proven and consistent? That's going to change now hopefully but it made sense at the start of the season.

Developed well for us on loan, came into the first team, had an attitude problem, didn't adapt to the system, got sold for a tidy profit which we spent on Matic.

Got his chances and wasn't great. He then got a serious injury and we got considerably better players than him in. He suffered heavily from us winning the CL and getting Hazard.

You sound like someone who only knows about these players because of scaps of info on internet forums and Football Manager. If that's the case, probably better not to comment on them and risk looking like an idiot.

to be fair though, Mourinho is notorious for not really giving youth a chance. Last year Varane only played because he had no fit senior CB's.

but this is for the Chelsea thread, this is the thread where we moan about 18 year olds being given 100k pw

to be fair though, Mourinho is notorious for not really giving youth a chance. Last year Varane only played because he had no fit senior CB's.

but this is for the Chelsea thread, this is the thread where we moan about 18 year olds being given 100k pw

Oh I agree Mourinho's comments vs Southampton(?) about youth were pretty revealing: he basically said youth players are risks and Chelsea are too big to take risks.

Yes this should be in Chelsea thread but he brought it up and brought up a specific set of names. I see it a lot around the internet and it's frustrating. I was going to let it go until the MvG thing, but once I started I thought I may as well carry on.

Asked to go on loan.

Sorry but Mourinho is not known for bringing through youngsters, I except your opinon. But im far from an idiot when it comes to football, and am not an FM warrior who thinks he knows everything.

Sorry but Mourinho is not known for bringing through youngsters

That wasn't the point I called you on. I agree Mourinho's record with youth is sketchy at best.

im far from an idiot when it comes to football, and am not an FM warrior who thinks he knows everything.

You named 10 players, of whom 1 was actually an example of a player failing to realise his potential at Chelsea and even then he's a 19 year old who has been in the squad but hasn't quite managed to break into the first team. 1 of them was a player we bought in the summer and have never loaned at any point! It's a fair point to criticise our development of youth in the last decade, but your examples are a bit ****. It would be like me coming in here and saying: "Zaha, Petrucci, Phil Jones, Keane, Powell."

(edit: if you want to continue this though, message me or make a post in the Chelsea thread. Don't want to interrupt the juicy flow of Moyes drama that this thread is producing)

Last edited:
Chalobah,McChecran,Ginkel,Bamford,Ake,Cork,Lukaku,Courtios,DeBryune,Marin and many more youngsters that get loaned out year after year then sold or loaned out again!

Right except all of that has been already happening before Mourinho took over. Master of examples, you're not!

That wasn't the point I called you on. I agree Mourinho's record with youth is sketchy at best.

You named 10 players, of whom 1 was actually an example of a player failing to realise his potential at Chelsea and even then he's a 19 year old who has been in the squad but hasn't quite managed to break into the first team. 1 of them was a player we bought in the summer and have never loaned at any point! It's a fair point to criticise our development of youth in the last decade, but your examples are a bit ****. It would be like me coming in here and saying: "Zaha, Petrucci, Phil Jones, Keane, Powell."

(edit: if you want to continue this though, message me or make a post in the Chelsea thread. Don't want to interrupt the juicy flow of Moyes drama that this thread is producing)
Ok mate fare does, I will just say that we aint been the best with youth lately either tbh. Anyways back to the juicy Moyes drama :)

Right except all of that has been already happening before Mourinho took over. Master of examples, you're not!
Not really im sure some of these were there in his first spell. Anyways still stick by my point with Mou and youth. Lets just leave it like I have agreed with Subtle and get back to UTD stuff.

Back