The Manchester United Thread

Whatever he says, won't happen.
Said Carlo wont leave Madrid anytime soon, said someone wants to stay at athletico for 2-3 more years then move to Italy or England then take argentina job couple of years after that. Basically we should go all out for LVG and praised what he did at Barca/Bayern.

Pretty simple to me. Hire LVG 2-3 yrs do the rebuild and sort the youth set up out, then get in Guardiola :)

You missed the bit where Cristiano makes his glorious return, before Giggs and Scholes discover the fountain of youth and come back to lead a dream team managed by Guardiola and a 20ft tall mecha-Ferguson.

Last edited:
You missed the bit where Cristiano makes his glorious return, before Giggs and Scholes discover the fountain of youth and come back to lead a dream team managed by Guardiola and an 20ft tall mecha-Ferguson.

We already have a 20ft tall mecha-Ferguson. He's right outside Old Trafford - we need to bring him to life.

Had to happen really, as i said yesterday Klopp is out the running so where do you go from here? I personally think employing within would be as bad as Moyes so Utd need to bite the bullet here and get the right man not the man which would carry on with a "tradition" otherwise they will be in the same place as they are now 12 months down the line.

Massive summer ahead for Utd now, but my personal favourite to be your next manager is none other than Rafa Benitez.

I will end by saying if this was Chelsea then they would have sacked the manager 6 months ago, got top 4 and won a trophy yet still be criticised.
That's exactly the point, though, is it not: that Chelsea sack managers too soon (if you had sacked him six months ago, that would only be four months in). Anyway, the comparison is irrelevant since the sacking of Chelsea managers have been premature and while they were in a relatively decent position (Moyes in seventh is different, with a team that won the title last season).

Pretty simple to me. Hire LVG 2-3 yrs do the rebuild and sort the youth set up out, then get in Guardiola :)
What makes you think Van Gaal would want to risk his reputation to help rebuild the club? He knows that if he tries to invest in youth, and build for the future, results in the present will probably suffer, which he wouldn't want. He has no prior connection to United, so I doubt he'd make personal sacrifices for the club.

That's exactly the point, though, is it not: that Chelsea sack managers too soon (if you had sacked him six months ago, that would only be four months in). Anyway, the comparison is irrelevant since the sacking of Chelsea managers have been premature and while they were in a relatively decent position (Moyes in seventh is different, with a team that won the title last season).

What makes you think Van Gaal would want to risk his reputation to help rebuild the club? He knows that if he tries to invest in youth, and build for the future, results in the present will probably suffer, which he wouldn't want. He has no prior connection to United, so I doubt he'd make personal sacrifices for the club.
Would not be a risk at all imo he would come in get the first team sorted tactics wise and players wise, which would not be hard tbh because he is a master tactician and the players we have are already good enough to be playing way better than were they are now. And would not be a problem youth wise because he could blood them in cup comps, which he has done at numerous clubs he has been at.

Shares have risen by 100m dollars since Moyes sacking and Neville and Woods to stay on till the end of season.

It's pretty much the opposite. Van Gaal wants to manage a top club in the BPL. He wants to win another big trophy. If he doesn't get a chance to manage a top club, he'll just retire and sit in his house in Portugal. This guy is still really passionate about football. It's one of the reasons he doesn't like being manager of Holland that much, because only since april/may it matters what you're doing, since the qualification was a piece of cake.

Van Gaal will always be remembered as one of the best dutch coaches ever, together with Rinus Michels, and another adventure in England wouldn't change it.

Right, my knowledge is limited on Van Gaal and as he seems really likely to many people as the next manager. I wondered whether anyone here could give opinions on him and whether he would be good for us?

Is it true what Balague said earlier that he laid foundations for Barcelona's style and Bayern Munich's success or is it a load of tosh?

GC if there is ever a reason to post one of your wall' o text, it is now.. I generally want opinions on Van Gaal as a manager and how he would be the right manager or not be the right manager for us.

Right, my knowledge is limited on Van Gaal and as he seems really likely to many people as the next manager. I wondered whether anyone here could give opinions on him and whether he would be good for us?

Is it true what Balague said earlier that he laid foundations for Barcelona's style and Bayern Munich's success or is it a load of tosh?

GC if there is ever a reason to post one of your wall' o text, it is now.. I generally want opinions on Van Gaal as a manager and how he would be the right manager or not be the right manager for us.

Louis van Gaal ?€“ colourful and controversial but he is a serial winner | Football | The Guardian

From what I've read so far about him he is considered a top tactician. also believe he's favoured dominating possession with a high line and quick and precise counters. that's what i have gathered, quite alot of articles saying he has a rep for falling out with players and sometimes the media as well

To understand how the current Netherlands team plays is to understand Van Gaal's footballing philosophy which has guided him for over two decades. As Van Gaal himself admits, what formation he uses is changeable, but the philosophy is not. In his career his teams have played 3-4-3, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, and 4-2-3-1, but the ethos behind these teams has always remained constant:
Maintain possession/constant circulation of the ball
Build attacks from the back/If an attack cannot be initiated from the midfield, work the ball back to the center-backs or goalkeeper
Width must be attained at all times in the attacking third, whether it be by the winger or fullback
(When playing 4-3-3) A midfield 3 consisting of a holding player, box-to-box, and playmaker
Fluidity of movement, manipulate and create spaces to dominate the opposition
Most importantly, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Every individual must be completely dedicated to working for the collective, or they have no place in the team

This was posted on redcafe

Last edited:
LVG is a bit of a wild card. He is great team builder, massive experience in the big clubs, with proven success, master tactician, plays great football, utilities young players. But you have to take bad with the good.

And the bad is: he is arrogant as ****, very bad at handling the media. With the way media are in UK there's a good chance he will implode within first month. His first season is also usually not the best, and you need that CL football right away. So there's that.

Hello pals. Seems an age since i was last posting here regularly. Fergie was still in charge i believe.

I am probably going to pretend that the last 11 months or so hasn't really happened. Would love to see a progressive manager take the reigns, but i can see a kneejerk reaction bringing in a 'big reputation' manager.

The players have a lot to answer for, although it can be difficult to adapt to average tactics and training methods when you are used to the very best from Fergie. Even so, Rooney aside there are no leaders (vidic seems like he left the club when fergie packed in) to drag the lads through this mess, Keane wouldn't have stood for sub par effort/performance, even if the managers tactics/training were no good.

I hope whoever gets the job next really thinks hard about the transfer targets. Not only class players are needed, but big personalities with the gumption to get themselves out of a hole without needing A. Ferguson to shout the skin off their faces.

The problem here isn't how Moyes feels, it's how United end up looking. Take Klopp, for example. A man who values loyalty, as we've said here before. You think it makes United a more attractive proposition to him when he sees them virtually backstab their manager?

The Chelsea comparison is rather apt. Klopp would never go there, because they're not loyal. United doing stuff like this lowers them closer to Chelsea's level.

I was thinking about this earlier. United have hardly made themselves look any better in the way that this has been handled than before. Managers may be reluctant to step forward, because similar misgivings could have a significant impact on their future careers if they fail to live up to the club's astronomical expectations.

Well, if van Gaal is in, it'll be interesting to see how he manages this team, and what formation he uses. If he prefers width, then I'm curious to see where he fits in Mata/Kagawa (since it's apparent RvP will be upfront, and Rooney behind him). Or whether he goes for a narrow 4-2-3-1, and depends on fullbacks to provide more width..

Last edited:
Back