The Manchester United Thread

Daniel Taylor has reported that we are linked with so many players and ManUtd are confident this time that they will be able to sign.

Shaw - 30 Million + 100K
Fabregas - told RVP that he is interested to move and agents said the same thing to Woodward.
Woodward saying 2 deals are provisionally agreed but didn't name any player.
Kroos
Gundogan
Reus
Carvalho
Cavani - might be as high as 60 Million

Not sure we will be able to sign any of these players except Shaw and Carvalho but these rumors makes you feel that we are turning into Madridesque when it comes to transfers.

Edit: And telegraph reported something that makes any ManUtd fan happy.

Ryan Giggs told Manchester United's players "we will go back to playing like Manchester United" during his first team-talk following his appointment as the Reds' interim manager.

Last edited:
Don't really want Cavani.. On too high wages, and we don't really need another striker. RvP, Rooney and Welbeck, excluding Hernandez who may leave. And if van Gaal comes, Cavani won't happen, since RvP will stay, and Rooney has a long term contract. Instead, we'd be better of promoting Wilson/Will Keane maybe, or get a young striker for the future. If Chicarito and someone else (Welbeck, maybe?) leaves, we'd be better off getting someone like Morata.

Fabregas deal can be scuppered by Arsenal, who have first option or something of the sort. And he is a hardcore Arsenal fan, plus it is the area where they also need reinforcements. Shouldn't spend much time chasing him, highly unlikely it'll happen.

Carvalho is possible, but still a ton of money to be paying for such a youngster. However, as long as he follows the trend of Ronaldo in performances, instead of Nani (Portugese), it should be a good deal.

Shaw, we're over-paying tremendously for him. He's had 1, maybe 2 good season, but is still not an established players for that sort of transfer fee, and those wages. I still feel Alex Sandro would be a better option for us, but anyhow, I won't be too unhappy if Shaw deal does indeed go through.

Reus, it's highly unlikely, he has publicly stated he'd be interested in moving to Barca. If that does indeed happen, we should probably move for Alexis Sanchez, he'd be brilliant for us. Also, rumours that Pedro is anything but happy at Nou Camp, could be a decent buy for us, but kinda hard to see where his playing style will fit in with us..

Our midfield is still the most worrysome part. Kroos will most likely stay back at Bayern, and with Gundogan having high potential to be the next Owen Hargreaves for us, it's a conundrum.

The secret footballer on Moyes tactics - interesting points

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised. Eleven defeats in a season is simply too many for Manchester United.
And it is clear to even the biggest David Moyes fan, whoever that is, that the team are not playing at the tempo expected of a top team and that is because of the tactics and the fact that the players have simply had enough.
Tactically, Moyes has been caught absolutely cold this season.
In a year that has seen the top teams across Europe strengthen their attacks with brutal pace, United have added Marouane Fellaini and Juan Mata.
Take out Antonio Valencia, who isn't the player he was, and Ashley Young, who is desperately treading water this season, and it is frightening to think that United have a shocking lack of pace in their squad.
When the whole of Europe was shifting their focus towards fast, counter-attacking football, thanks largely to the success of Barcelona and Bayern Munich, teams like Borussia Dortmund followed suit and reached the Champions League final.
Real Madrid broke the world record for the best counter-attacking player in the world, Gareth Bale, but, with domestic clubs such as Chelsea, Manchester City and Liverpool flooding their squads with speed, United simply stood back and watched it all happen.
So with all that in mind, would you hand Moyes ?150million and ask him to rebuild the team?
Certainly, the people that I know at Old Trafford, including one very wealthy shareholder friend of mine based in New York, whom I've mentioned before, tell me that the list of names presented to the board by Moyes as potential signings for this summer was particularly underwhelming.
Everybody knows that United need an overhaul and it looks as if that will start with the manager. In fairness, the warning signs have been there almost from the off.
Consider Rio Ferdinand's tweets this season. First, he grumbled that he didn't like the way the new manager was going about his team selection, informing the players of the starting XI not on the Friday, which is perhaps the most common method, but on the morning of the game.
Then, he had a subtle dig when he said that this season has been frustrating. It's hard to imagine the defender getting away with the first of those tweets under Sir Alex Ferguson and if you have players undermining you at a club the size of United, then you are bang in trouble.
Personally, I think that it was a really tough job to take on. Forget the Ferguson factor for a moment; the United squad was on its knees at the start of this season.
However, Moyes could still have done something about it by signing the right players and following the trend of modern football.
The scary thing is, is that perhaps the quickest player, Danny Welbeck, doesn't even feature on a regular basis, despite Robin van Persie being injured. And that is simply unfathomable.
Let me give you a very quick synopsis of modern football. Maybe Moyes can print this out and stick it on his office wall at his next club.
If my team play United, we will defend with a bank of four behind a midfield five, in our own half and back ourselves that they won't be able to play through us. When build-up play is slow, as it was in the 2-0 defeat against Everton, the ball will eventually go wide. It has to.
What happens then is that the team are reduced to switching the ball endlessly until, eventually, somebody crosses it. Invariably, the goalkeeper catches it or it is headed out to two lightning fast players playing on the shoulders of United's central midfielders, who then set off at pace.
The closest full-back breaks his neck to get up there and the lone striker runs the centre halves towards their own goal, leaving more grass to run into. When that happens, you create chances and score goals.
You score goals like Kevin Mirallas and you make chances like Romelu Lukaku did because United's back four had been pushed so deep.
It is no surprise that Liverpool are top of the Premier League.
Cross, catch, throw out to Raheem Sterling or Philippe Coutinho, sprint up the pitch, keep Luis Suarez high so the centre halves stay deep because they are scared of the ball in behind them. Suddenly, there is even more space to run into.
What results is three fast attackers against three defenders running backwards towards their own goal.
But at United, you have this slow build-up - side to side, back and forth and, eventually, the cross comes in and the move breaks down. So that is where modern football is today, folks.
Let me give you one stat to prove the point that crossing the ball is going the way of the dodo as a result of counter-attacking strategies: This season, Liverpool have crossed the ball around 400 times. United have crossed the ball nearly 800 times.
As a result, Liverpool have had more counter-attacks than any other club and scored more counter-attacking goals. United are outside the top six for both stats.
And that is the value of a manager who understands the modern game, even pre-empts it. Moyes is out of touch and it has showed this season with both his tactics and his signings.
I could mention the fact that Roberto Martinez spotted the way the game was going and revolutionised the way that Everton play, with largely the same players that Moyes had.
But I think I've made the point...

Well if Van Gaal comes in everyone knows he is a huge fan of Strootman.

I don't like the idea of signing Shaw at all.... 30million is so expensive and 100k wages... well... that is just out of this world crazy for him. Go for a foreign option and save money.

Carvalho is good but then Fellaini mayswell just be sold, never is a United player.

Well if Van Gaal comes in everyone knows he is a huge fan of Strootman.

I don't like the idea of signing Shaw at all.... 30million is so expensive and 100k wages... well... that is just out of this world crazy for him. Go for a foreign option and save money.

Carvalho is good but then Fellaini mayswell just be sold, never is a United player.

Shaw deal may happen before van Gaal gets here at all.. Woodward is in charge and will be desperate to wrap up transfers before the WC. I hate us going the Barca or Madrid way in terms of wages.. :\ And Shaw will definitely be a priority. I can't see Roma giving up Strootman though..

You guys say that Shaw doesn't deserve 100k p/w deal, well, look it's 2014. He is really young English Wonderkid, in English team, on verge of the Wc squad. He is gone through very impressive season, if we want to build a home grown base to our team, we need to sign him ASAP. If we turn him into a real star, we can benefit on commercial deals with him so so much.

Latest rumours that Will Keane has been unable to come to agreeable terms with United.. With the emergence of Wilson, he might have taken a backstage, but it'd still be a big shame if we simply let him go//

Latest rumours that Will Keane has been unable to come to agreeable terms with United.. With the emergence of Wilson, he might have taken a backstage, but it'd still be a big shame if we simply let him go//

He had a season long injury at a time when he was tipped to make the first team.....it might be best for his career if he were to start again at a club in the lower half of the prem, less pressure on him.

Priceless!

Relax. Don't Do It

A little part of Mediawatch feels sorry for Richard Arrowsmith of the Daily Mail website. With everyone giving their two cents on the departure of David Moyes, he was cruelly sent out to find a new angle - a fresh insight into his sacking. And this is all he could find:

'Wayne Rooney, Phil Jones and Rafael play a relaxing round of golf the day after David Moyes is sacked by Manchester United,' blurts the headline on a story that includes five pictures and four videos to flesh out what is truly Grade A guffery.

Arrowsmith writes: 'Instead of commiserating the departure of their beleaguered manager David Moyes, several Manchester United players preferred to recover from the loss...with a relaxing 18 holes of golf.'

How dare they play golf on their day off rather than putting their arms - all six of them - around poor old Moyes. The heartless bastards.

'Although, despite having free time on his hands, their former boss wasn't invited to take part in a four-ball,' Arrowsmith continues.

And they didn't invite him along either? Have they no hearts?

'Former United talisman Roy Keane has laid the blame squarely with the players, saying "they should be ashamed of themselves because they really let him down". Obviously, that's not how the highly paid untouchables felt as they strolled around 18 holes.'

As usual, a little part of Mediawatch has died. This time, it's the 'little part' that felt sorry for Richard Arrowsmith.

Fabregas is actually gettable this summer, probably more of a realistic option for us than Kroos. Admittedly we have to get past Arsenal first but I'd still fancy us to grab him... we have RVP for one!

Fabregas is actually gettable this summer, probably more of a realistic option for us than Kroos. Admittedly we have to get past Arsenal first but I'd still fancy us to grab him... we have RVP for one!

If you are counting on personal relationship and RVP's personality winning him over good luck :)

If you are counting on personal relationship and RVP's personality winning him over good luck :)

Not just that, will Fabregas want to go back to a club which still hasn't won anything during the years he has been away? Ok you're in with a shout with FA Cup but it's not exactly the most exciting competition in the world.

Also I find it interesting how Klopp has discussed there has been no approach from us... why would he even discuss it in the first place if he had absolutely no interest? I think we should send Woody to have a little chat with him. Because in the interview he made it seem like it was more up to Dortmund as a club.

Oh and the Barca fans want him out... Wenger has to spend the money as well.. that's another thought... if he's in charge.

ManUtd U21 qualified for play offs, won against reading in the extra time to finish 3rd.

So does anyone think what Klopp said in his interview today was a slight "Come get me plea"?

Maybe it's just how it was translated on Sky Sports News into English.. but it did sound quite positive and he didn't rule anything out categorically.

So does anyone think what Klopp said in his interview today was a slight "Come get me plea"?

Maybe it's just how it was translated on Sky Sports News into English.. but it did sound quite positive and he didn't rule anything out categorically.
sound like he leaving it to dortmund but it did look like im not saying anything but if man u talk to my club then who knows

sound like he leaving it to dortmund but it did look like im not saying anything but if man u talk to my club then who knows

Indeed, exactly the impression I got. Admittedly getting through Dortmund to speak to Klopp would be extremely challenging in itself but by that interview it definitely appeared like he is not ruling it out if Dortmund allow us to speak with him.

Back