The Manchester United Thread

Top four finish and Moyes would have kept his job. If you finish seventh, then yes that's disarray. No doubt you'll improve massively next season, but it is disarray.

Moyes didn't deserve to keep his job..... if 1 or 2 players are under-performing then yeh you can point the finger at them. But when it's a whole shed load then I'm sorry it has to go to the manager and besides have you seen the lifeless performances and tactical nous under him? It's been appauling. Half the time I am wondering if he actually had a tactical plan.

This squad isn't as bad as people make out.... why do people keep thinking that... because Moyes made it look so bad mostly. The midfield we know is band ordinary... but then look at the rest... it was only a few seasons ago Valencia looked the best winger in the league and last season Rafael was brilliant. That's just 2 examples off the top of my head.

That's without considering the fact that the squad has been improved with Januzaj and Mata. (Not including Fellaini.... a MOYES buy).

They say a team often reflects the personality of their manager.... I rest my case. That's exactly how we have looked.... lifeless and dull.

By today's standards, United's aren't so much in disarray as imploding.

In fact, by United's standards you're not far off that. I'm afraid this season has been a disaster. I'm not one to overuse adjectives so liberally - the people who claim Arsenal are in crisis every season when they lose two or three in a row is ******* infuriating - but yes, United are in disarray. You have no manager, just endured the worst season in my living memory, the team look disjointed and woefully inadequate.

Had Moyes come fifth with a few draws from winning positions and some promising but fruitless play nobody would've blinked. But this season, where pretty much nobody other than De Gea and Januzaj even got close to covering themselves in glory and everything went wrong at once? That's nearing full on crisis levels.

Easy to say in hindsight, and that's a big supposition. Besides, the pull of Barca must be irresistible to a boyhood fan. Bet you he doesn't regret it even slightly.

Sigh... another one who thinks this squad is somehow terribly bad over one season. Isn't it all so much a coincidence that it's the squad and not the manager, Moyes.

How is this squad terribly inadequate? Another O.T.T statement to the extreme.

Sigh... another one who thinks this squad is somehow terribly bad over one season. Isn't it all so much a coincidence that it's the squad and not the manager, Moyes.

How is this squad terribly inadequate? Another O.T.T statement to the extreme.

No, it's not a coincidence. The squad was already inadequate prior to this season. I've said this plenty of times.

The fact that this squad won the title last year wasn't because it was amazing. It wasn't the best squad in the league, **** it might not even have been the SECOND best. What it was was functional, had an on-fire goalscorer, and most importantly was managed by a ******* grand wizard. Ferguson's final title was one of his most impressive because it showcased just what he could get out of a relatively average squad.

Moyes wasn't great, but the main problem MUST lie with the players. Quite apart from them not really being good enough, they didn't motivate themselves to play for anyone under Ferguson, they sulked when things started going badly, and they gave Moyes no chance.

But this is all kinda irrelevant anyway. I never called the squad 'terribly bad'. I called them inadequate, which they were before and they remain so now. Just adding Mata was never going to be the answer. Fellaini turned out not to be either. So you're now stacked up front, empty in the middle, and all over the place at the back, just like you were last year. Difference was, Ferguson managed to patch those holes like a truly great manager can. But don't let that fool you into thinking this squad was great or somesuch madness.

That's without considering the fact that the squad has been improved with Januzaj and Mata. (Not including Fellaini.... a MOYES buy).

You mean Januzaj, who Moyes brought up and played? And Mata, "a MOYES buy"?

You mean Januzaj, who Moyes brought up and played? And Mata, "a MOYES buy"?

Yeh he played him for a few matches then totally forgot about him.

Mata is a good player but not one that was at all needed. ?37m could of been much better spent or kept for the summer.

It's like saying lets buy Cavani in the summer just because hes a good player, not because we necessarily even need him. Is that how it works with transfers?

Mata is a good player but not one that was at all needed. ?37m could of been much better spent or kept for the summer.

It's like saying lets buy Cavani in the summer just because hes a good player, not because we necessarily even need him. Is that how it works with transfers?

For some players yes.

No, it's not a coincidence. The squad was already inadequate prior to this season. I've said this plenty of times.

The fact that this squad won the title last year wasn't because it was amazing. It wasn't the best squad in the league, **** it might not even have been the SECOND best. What it was was functional, had an on-fire goalscorer, and most importantly was managed by a ******* grand wizard. Ferguson's final title was one of his most impressive because it showcased just what he could get out of a relatively average squad.

Moyes wasn't great, but the main problem MUST lie with the players. Quite apart from them not really being good enough, they didn't motivate themselves to play for anyone under Ferguson, they sulked when things started going badly, and they gave Moyes no chance.

But this is all kinda irrelevant anyway. I never called the squad 'terribly bad'. I called them inadequate, which they were before and they remain so now. Just adding Mata was never going to be the answer. Fellaini turned out not to be either. So you're now stacked up front, empty in the middle, and all over the place at the back, just like you were last year. Difference was, Ferguson managed to patch those holes like a truly great manager can. But don't let that fool you into thinking this squad was great or somesuch madness.

Not saying it was great but it isn't bad either. It doesn't have to be full of great players. Moyes got it totally wrong, his whole approach from the start and it was poor, he rightly deserved to be sacked, it was never going to work.

It doesn't have to be individually great but one key word you mention it was functional and effective with key players doing well and the rest who may be average in terms of United quality performing above themselves.

But my point is... the manager is huge.... it has to be right at a club like United and Moyes simply wasn't from the start. The squad may not be great but it's not bad either and I think it's O.T.T how one season suddenly makes it so. Admittedly the midfield is but that's been like that for ages.

They say a team often reflects the personality of their manager.... I rest my case. That's exactly how we have looked.... lifeless and dull.

What. He played 24 matches this season. Frankly I'd hazard a guess that the reason Moyes used him more sparingly was because he was getting burnt out and wanted to make sure he would progress nicely. Say what you want about Moyes but he knows how to work with youth.

When a player of Mata's quality comes along and you can afford him you get him.

Besides, despite me calling him a Moyes buy earlier, Mata wasn't actually his choice (and in my defence, neither was Fellaini). I doubt Moyes had much to do with that particular transfer.

It's a fair point, but at this point if Cavani was available, played for your title rivals, was 24 years old, you had the money to buy him and he was one of the best players in his position in the world, I'm pretty sure every chairman in the world would at very least be deeply tempted.

After thinking about it for a couple of days i must say the club comes out of this far worse than anyone else. Why give a manager a 6 year contract if you aren't willing to give that man any sort of time? He basically had 1 transfer window because with the change of Chief exec in the summer so he only had January to really do anything. Don't get me wrong he is not blameless but i do feel on this occasion the club has come off in a bad light.

Not saying it was great but it isn't bad either.

'Not Bad' should not be the requisite for title winners.

It doesn't have to be full of great players.

No, but it does need to have a couple of great ones surrounded by a competent supporting cast.

Moyes got it totally wrong, his whole approach from the start and it was poor, he rightly deserved to be sacked, it was never going to work.

Um... k. Not sure where I said anything disputing that.

It doesn't have to be individually great but one key word you mention it was functional and effective with key players doing well and the rest who may be average in terms of United quality performing above themselves.

Yes. It was functional and effective because Ferguson was ridiculous. Only he and Mourinho would've been able to win the league with that team.

But my point is... the manager is huge.... it has to be right at a club like United and Moyes simply wasn't from the start. The squad may not be great but it's not bad either and I think it's O.T.T how one season suddenly makes it so. Admittedly the midfield is but that's been like that for ages.

No, the squad is not bad. In fact, I'd say it's very good value for a decent place finish. Somewhere around seventh, maybe...

Still not disputing Moyes did badly here. The strawman isn't so much being attacked as being set on fire and trampled into a ditch.

After thinking about it for a couple of days i must say the club comes out of this far worse than anyone else. Why give a manager a 6 year contract if you aren't willing to give that man any sort of time? He basically had 1 transfer window because with the change of Chief exec in the summer so he only had January to really do anything. Don't get me wrong he is not blameless but i do feel on this occasion the club has come off in a bad light.

To be fair, I don't think anyone at the club saw it going quite this wrong. Fifth place with some promise on the pitch and everything would've been fine. Complete collapse like this was only going to end one way.

David Moyes ignored Manchester United staff's advice, says Meulensteen | Football | theguardian.com

"You have to look at Manchester United and the job that David Moyes took on," he [Meulensteen] said. "United were a very successful team, with many successful years behind them. The strategies in place worked. But David ignored the advice that was given to him by many of the staff in place at the time.

"He opted to put his own plans in place, which he was perfectly entitled to do, but I think it backfired on him. I always strongly believe the performances and the results are a reflection of what is actually happening behind the door and that wasn't good enough, as simple as that.

"Don't forget David was a respected manager in the Premier League who worked for 11 years at Everton in a very good way. But I did warn him: 'Do you realise, after everything at Everton, you're going from a yacht to a cruise liner? That's how big the difference will be.' It's not just necessarily the work on the pitch. It's everything that surrounds Manchester United, the players, the performances, the pressure, the style, the identity. And I think he underestimated that. It's always easy in hindsight but unfortunately it's cost him his position."

What. He played 24 matches this season. Frankly I'd hazard a guess that the reason Moyes used him more sparingly was because he was getting burnt out and wanted to make sure he would progress nicely. Say what you want about Moyes but he knows how to work with youth.

When a player of Mata's quality comes along and you can afford him you get him.

Besides, despite me calling him a Moyes buy earlier, Mata wasn't actually his choice (and in my defence, neither was Fellaini). I doubt Moyes had much to do with that particular transfer.

It's a fair point, but at this point if Cavani was available, played for your title rivals, was 24 years old, you had the money to buy him and he was one of the best players in his position in the world, I'm pretty sure every chairman in the world would at very least be deeply tempted.

Ok I exaggerated with my wording but still could of seen him more especially in the latter games of Moyes reign.

Why on earth would Barca want Fabregas out? Just because some idiots are whining on Facebook doesn't mean club will go mental and sell world-class midfielder who probably still has 8-8 years of great career ahead of him. And Fabregas was pretty good for them this year as long as he wasn't played out of position.

Why on earth would Barca want Fabregas out? Just because some idiots are whining on Facebook doesn't mean club will go mental and sell world-class midfielder who probably still has 8-8 years of great career ahead of him. And Fabregas was pretty good for them this year as long as he wasn't played out of position.

Actually being booed I believe. Don't really follow them though... not a fan of Barca. Atletico all the way... would love to see them break the 2 big clubs.

Not just some keyboard warriors, but around 80% of fanbase according to surveys.

Actually being booed I believe. Don't really follow them though... not a fan of Barca. Atletico all the way... would love to see them break the 2 big clubs.

He's being booed? Wow. Someone should quote them the words of an ancient Chinese philosopher: "He is a ******* great player, and you're all idiots".

He's being booed? Wow. Someone should quote them the words of an ancient Chinese philosopher: "He is a ******* great player, and you're all idiots".

Yeah, he's being booed. And the fans are probably idiots. He's being played out of his position, and is under-performing slightly. IS there a ****** surprise for that? You take a CM and play him as a F9 upfront, it is bound to happen. But the fans forget all that and just boo him..

Squad wasn't bad and it was very good. Just because David Moyes ****** it up doesn't mean it was bad. Just that Moyes didn't get the best out of players.

The same squad won title 3 years and in 2 years they lost on GD and by a single point. Not sure how this isn't good enough.

Top four finish and Moyes would have kept his job. If you finish seventh, then yes that's disarray. No doubt you'll improve massively next season, but it is disarray.

No it's not disarray. Squad is fine, needs some players for sure but not in disarray. We have some excellent players and few very good young players, all we need is a good manager which looks very likely now.

Back