The Manchester United Thread

No it's not disarray. Squad is fine, needs some players for sure but not in disarray. We have some excellent players and few very good young players, all we need is a good manager which looks very likely now.

Exactly, it applies to Liverpool, Rodgers has got the most out of that squad this season but it definitely isn't full of great players either. It has a few great individuals.

Same can apply to Atletico and Dortmund and a few other teams.

Yeh he played him for a few matches then totally forgot about him.

Mata is a good player but not one that was at all needed. ?37m could of been much better spent or kept for the summer.

It's like saying lets buy Cavani in the summer just because hes a good player, not because we necessarily even need him. Is that how it works with transfers?
A few games? he played 30 games ( and was rested before he got burnt out)

Ok I exaggerated with my wording but still could of seen him more especially in the latter games of Moyes reign.

The whole point was that he was looking burnt out. You don't over play young players like that. Rodgers di the same with sterling, he picked up a slight injury in march last year, and BR benched him for the rest of the season.

Not saying it was great but it isn't bad either. It doesn't have to be full of great players. Moyes got it totally wrong, his whole approach from the start and it was poor, he rightly deserved to be sacked, it was never going to work.

It doesn't have to be individually great but one key word you mention it was functional and effective with key players doing well and the rest who may be average in terms of United quality performing above themselves.

But my point is... the manager is huge.... it has to be right at a club like United and Moyes simply wasn't from the start. The squad may not be great but it's not bad either and I think it's O.T.T how one season suddenly makes it so. Admittedly the midfield is but that's been like that for ages.

They say a team often reflects the personality of their manager.... I rest my case. That's exactly how we have looked.... lifeless and dull.

Except Moyes is nether lifeless or dull, you only have to look at how they played us for the last decade to know they were fierce, tenacious, combative, and with a suprising bit of flair. Let's not rewrite history eh?

Squad wasn't bad and it was very good. Just because David Moyes ****** it up doesn't mean it was bad. Just that Moyes didn't get the best out of players.

The same squad won title 3 years and in 2 years they lost on GD and by a single point. Not sure how this isn't good enough.

I just went over this. The squad wasn't very good. It was made to SEEM very good. Now, this is of course all opinion, but Ferguson has prior history of just willing players to be better, so I would not be surprised one bit if it turned out he did that to an entire squad. Moreover, I'm picking the closest possible date because going three years back this was a completely different team. Not necessarily in terms of personnel, but in age. Now, Ferdinand and Vidic can not be relied upon to play to their highest level every week and Evra's dissolved into a defensive liability. This is the critical thing. Under Ferguson the defence was good, because those three could play to their best, and when they couldn't he covered for them with his squad management skills. Now, they can't, and Moyes can't do that anyway, nor can he force them to play well in the same way Fergie could.

No it's not disarray. Squad is fine, needs some players for sure but not in disarray. We have some excellent players and few very good young players, all we need is a good manager which looks very likely now.

The squad is fine?

Um. Okay. News to me.

I just went over this. The squad wasn't very good. It was made to SEEM very good. Now, this is of course all opinion, but Ferguson has prior history of just willing players to be better, so I would not be surprised one bit if it turned out he did that to an entire squad. Moreover, I'm picking the closest possible date because going three years back this was a completely different team. Not necessarily in terms of personnel, but in age. Now, Ferdinand and Vidic can not be relied upon to play to their highest level every week and Evra's dissolved into a defensive liability. This is the critical thing. Under Ferguson the defence was good, because those three could play to their best, and when they couldn't he covered for them with his squad management skills. Now, they can't, and Moyes can't do that anyway, nor can he force them to play well in the same way Fergie could.

The squad is fine?

Um. Okay. News to me.
More accurate to say the squad has talent, and potential, but has defiencies and creaking players in some VERY key areas.
Ferguson was a master of hiding these, but they were still there, and should have dealt with years ago.

More accurate to say the squad has talent, and potential, but has defiencies and creaking players in some VERY key areas.
Ferguson was a master of hiding these, but they were still there, and should have dealt with years ago.

Yes, that's pretty much exactly right. In attacking midfield and up front United are absolutely stacked and have an embarrassing wealth of riches. In midfield, there's an ageing Carrick, Fellaini who doesn't quite fit, Tom Cleverley and Darren Fletcher, who is still getting to grips with full match fitness but is arguably your most important midfielder.

This is simply not good enough. In an age where central midfield is probably the most important area of the pitch, you've got a motley collection of players who essentially control the entire cohesion of the team. It's not good enough. Before, it was covered slightly by Ferguson trying to bypass the centre of midfield somewhat and focus on wing-heavy play, but with Valencia's continued massive variations in form, Nani only recently having come back from injury and Welbeck still not a winger, there's not been much love in that situation either. Add to that the creaky defence and the fact that Rooney and RVP destroy the entire balance of the side between them and you've got a **** stew going.

The reason I thought Ferguson wasnt leaving when the rumours were out was because I'd assumed that he'd spend a lot of ??? making the squad better before he did leave. Last few years, you's got away with having an ageing squad with huge gaps in important positions. Ferguson made it work, his replacement almost certainly wouldn't be as good, and couldn't make it work.

After watching Giggsy's pre match confrence, is the first time in a 10 months that I am actually looking forward to watching Man Utd play. Is it just me?

After watching Giggsy's pre match confrence, is the first time in a 10 months that I am actually looking forward to watching Man Utd play. Is it just me?

Actually, the Leverkusen games were amazing, probably some of the best football we've played under Moyes.

I want Giggs to come on in the last home game and score, so that everyone is p*ssed with Moyes for not giving Giggs a chance to keep his record intact.

Actually, the Leverkusen games were amazing, probably some of the best football we've played under Moyes.

I want Giggs to come on in the last home game and score, so that everyone is p*ssed with Moyes for not giving Giggs a chance to keep his record intact.
Think he will have a better chance in the next 3 games, then the last one, but that would be amazing.

Except Moyes is nether lifeless or dull, you only have to look at how they played us for the last decade to know they were fierce, tenacious, combative, and with a suprising bit of flair. Let's not rewrite history eh?

See I find this interesting... this is what disappointed me most about Moyes because I know he was capable of a lot better. His Everton side definitely suggested that over the last decade.

But then I heard reports that Moyes was considering a break from football before Fergie approached him for this job, I think this kind of explains that. Every press conference he done as a United manager he just didn't ever seem himself to me.

Maybe he was as Pep described 'burnt out'.

See... this is what disappointed me most about Moyes because I know he was capable of a lot better. His Everton side definitely suggested that over the last decade.

But then I heard reports that Moyes was considering a break from football before Fergie approached him for this job, I think this kind of explains that. Every press conference he done as a United manager he just didn't ever seem himself to me.

Maybe he was as Pep described 'burnt out'.
Yep this was my complaint too. He never his own standards. I think he was, but very few people are going to say no to the United job at that point. I think he should take one now, refresh and come back.

Yep this was my complaint too. He never his own standards. I think he was, but very few people are going to say no to the United job at that point. I think he should take one now, refresh and come back.

So who do you realistically want? I'm still not really sure on Van Gaal and if he's right for us. It's just mostly rumour atm I think.

So who do you realistically want? I'm still not really sure on Van Gaal and if he's right for us. It's just mostly rumour atm I think.

Van Gaal, with the 92 involved somewhere in the club too. Whether its possible is another thing.

I personally don't get this obsession with getting players of the past involved, sure the odd one or two but I'd sacrifice that for great manager who wants to bring in his proven great coaches.

Back