The Manchester United Thread

Van Gaal, with the 92 involved somewhere in the club too. Whether its possible is another thing.

Think it's the only probable one at the moment. Apart from Guus, maybe, but he's a little unlikely given he nearly retired a year ago.

I personally don't get this obsession with getting players of the past involved, sure the odd one or two but I'd sacrifice that for great manager who wants to bring in his proven great coaches.

Are you kidding? It's the veritable fairytale.. Legendary player gets back to managing his club, to become a legendary coach.. I'm not saying it'll always be successful, heck, there are more failures than successes. But that's why Giggs is slowly being groomed for the role.. The atmosphere will be electric when a fan favourite player gets around to managing the club..

I think keeping top-end players around is definitely worth it. I was unhappy when Viera ****** off to become 'brand ambassador' for Man City as I felt he would have been useful doing that job for Arsenal, just as Zidane has been a useful name to have around behind the scenes at Real Madrid. That direct connection with the past at the very highest level, and useful council for players if they choose to use it when it comes to that winning mentality which epitomises the club.

Are you kidding? It's the veritable fairytale.. Legendary player gets back to managing his club, to become a legendary coach.. I'm not saying it'll always be successful, heck, there are more failures than successes. But that's why Giggs is slowly being groomed for the role.. The atmosphere will be electric when a fan favourite player gets around to managing the club..
Most people outside the club thought/think it would be Neville, but the club has long thought Giggs would be the one who could do it at some point in future. It's unlikely that the club will allow that to be derailed, especially since they will go for a more short term option. It's part romantic, but also part because they feel he seems to have the knack for it. It's not random romanticism that sees Scholes taking the under 21s etc. Between them, you are talking about a vast amount of ability and wealth of knowledge, it should not be wasted. I think its over 2000 games and 61 medals between them.

Most people outside the club thought/think it would be Neville, but the club has long thought Giggs would be the one who could do it at some point in future. It's unlikely that the club will allow that to be derailed, especially since they will go for a more short term option. It's part romantic, but also part because they feel he seems to have the knack for it. It's not random romanticism that sees Scholes taking the under 21s etc. Between them, you are talking about a vast amount of ability and wealth of knowledge, it should not be wasted. I think its over 2000 games and 61 medals between them.

I totally agree, I'm a tremendous fan of both Giggs and Scholes, and always have been, ever since I started watching United;; Their experience will be sorely needed as coaches;; However, to make the leap to management is another thing altogether, as a lot of factors count// But I'll tell you, if Giggs does end up eventually managing United, after convincing the club of his credentials.. It'll be legendary..!

I always thought Ole Gunnar Solksjaer would be a front-runner eventually, considering his tactical knowledge, and his position amongst OT fans though..;;

I think keeping top-end players around is definitely worth it. I was unhappy when Viera ****** off to become 'brand ambassador' for Man City as I felt he would have been useful doing that job for Arsenal, just as Zidane has been a useful name to have around behind the scenes at Real Madrid. That direct connection with the past at the very highest level, and useful council for players if they choose to use it when it comes to that winning mentality which epitomises the club.
Player pulling power cannot be underestimated. Zidane has been key in helping recruit players. Nothing is better to sell you club than someone like that.

Part of the reasoning for Ancellotti is that as well as his obvious ability, he would be more amenable to having them around than perhaps Van Gaal might be.

Giggs can definitely be very succesful in the short term - I'd imagine he is buttbuddy with most of the squad and he's taking over after two very strict disciplinarians. The atmosphere in the backroom right now is probably as if Jesus himself came down to save the team. Its probably lucky that he just has 4 games, if he had good run with 10-15 games he might become serious contender and I doubt he is ready yet.

Although he at least managed to get all the formal qualifications and education, which is not bad for someone who still has full-time career as a player.

Calcomercato had some breaking news later this morning, saying that Conte will be new United manager. I can't find it anymore.

Think it's the only probable one at the moment. Apart from Guus, maybe, but he's a little unlikely given he nearly retired a year ago.

Do you mean Guus Hiddenk? Because he'll be the new holland coach after the world cup.

Van Gaal would probably bring in a few of his own trainers, but some are already spread. Like the guy leading Arsenal's youth system at the moment or Blind (who'll stay assistent manager in the holland team), so there might be some space for some United legends to fill some gaps and give them experience.

You have to be carefull tho with old players becoming head coach immediatly. Just look at Seedorf in Milan, Van Basten when he started at Ajax or Cocu this year when he started at PSV. You need time to learn the basics of coaching and you'll prob have to start with a youth team, just like Frank de Boer did.

Also, the appeal of having legendary player as a manger should be obvious. Its helps a lot with attracting players, it helps a lot with how support (and in United's case, stock as well) reacts in a bad situation, and its extremely powerful in terms of building the brand.

Of course, Giggs is very unlikely become world class manager (former Ferguson players aren't exactly conquering the managerial world so far). But if he can pull it off, its a massive advantage to the club.

In one (ONE!) press conference GIGGSY sounds 1000 times more like a UTD manager than DM could in eleven months. I mean look at this comparison for example:

Giggs today: "We're Manchester United, we're at home and we expect to win."

Moyes pre Newcastle: "...they come to Old Trafford and we're going to make it as difficult as we can for them."

In one (ONE!) press conference GIGGSY sounds 1000 times more like a UTD manager than DM could in eleven months. I mean look at this comparison for example:

Giggs today: "We're Manchester United, we're at home and we expect to win."

Moyes pre Newcastle: "...they come to Old Trafford and we're going to make it as difficult as we can for them."
His life has been United tbf, its in his blood. If anyone knows what it means its him.

His life has been United tbf, its in his blood. If anyone knows what it means its him.

Well of course but look at Moyes demeanour from day one. I mean he thought nothing of saying about when he was told by SAF that he would get the job that "the blood drained from my face". That exudes fear and trepidation ... Idiocy of the highest order undermining himself like this from day one ...

Just been looking at the betting I can't believe mourinho has drifted in so much to take the job, I mean you never say never in football but c'mon this will never happen surely. But let's just say it did the fallout would be tremendous!

Yup. He killed it. Very comfortable on the camera, knows exactly what to say and completely unflappable during harder questions.

[video=youtube_share;khQdPhwL0oI]http://youtu.be/khQdPhwL0oI[/video]

Good conference, I think he'll get them playing for him this weekend and get a good result.

Though even though Giggs has been around the club for years and a legend, I'm not sure saing he'd make use of the strong bond in the squad and "treat the players like my brothers" might put them on edge instead ^^)

Back