The Manchester United Thread

Spot on I agree with most of what you say here, but Ole taking this stance 'right player, right price', it's a load of bollox. What we going to do if no one comes along again in the summer as well? Plus there is a flawed logic to that because we've already overpaid for Maguire and AWB arguably. Even if you rate AWB as I do, there is no doubt that £80m for Maguire was overpriced.

This is why we were so stupid not to get the midfielder or two last summer, not only has it totally screwed this season over but this window and next summer are going to be even harder to get the signings done. As it's the Euros and all.

Our board are incompetent as **** and it just kills me because I knew this season was a write off before it began.

They won't sack Ole until they absolutely have to, they are saving face and it's at the expense of us all. This is what they wanted, a manager who the fans would back no matter what due to his reputation.

There was numerous midfielders that were available and would have improved us significantly last summer. Just utter stupidity buy those above that didn't prioritise this seemingly. We can't get more than 3 deals done in one window? Give me a break!
Uhh forgot Euros also. This will be fun summer indeed.

Whether we like to admit it or not, the attraction of this club to play for is diminishing. Right now we have a chance to get a midfielder and possibly get top 4, or stick to our 'right player, right price', get no one and basically forget the second half of this season. If we don't get top 4 we'll miss out on more money anyway and there will be loads of more attractive clubs to move to than us in summer especially if we're not in CL.

Yous lot might regret giving De Gea that new contract because Dean Henderson will be a star, made a world-class save to deny Salah and was desperately unlucky with the Mane goal.

Made some excellent saves both games.

After making two absolute howlers that cost his team the crucial first goal both games.

de Gea has madly fallen off a cliff to little arms levels but there’s still no comparison there right now.

Oh joy Lingard and Martial sent home from today’s training with sickness. Just put out the U23s ........

Man, I've criticised Ole earlier too, and I repeat, I have no idea what the game plan is. He is too slow with his subs, his style seems only one thing - counter attack. And has no clue how to break low blocks, plus our best midfielder is a disinterested one. And more to the point, his constant assertion that he is happy with the squad is ******* me off (despite probably having to say that to maintain harmony). This was an utterly unbalanced squad from the start, and everyone kept calling out that w/o Pogba, creativity is zilch. How do we not sign anyone to back him up/take the burden off him.

Fernandes - why the **** was he not one of our top targets? I read somewhere that his pass completion rate used to be ~82% which was what turned off Ole and Woodward (considering KdB and others get around 90). If so, it's bonkers. And utterly shortsighted.

Also, pardon me, but Ole also needs to get off his high horse. Not signing targets if they aren't the top two identified for that position - it is all well and good stating that if you have a squad like Liverpool/City - quality squad, good depth while needing only a couple of additions to keep players fresh. When our squad is woeful, depth is only youngsters and quality is few and far between, we can't afford to just not go after players. Get a few bodies in, build a team and then worry about top two targets, eh?

Dybala and Fernandes - they would've completely changed the outlook of our squad. Filled it with greater creativity and much better movement and link-up play. Same for Dani Olmo. But no, because Woodward feels it's too difficult to get value in the transfer market. (Dybala is still understandable, but he would have been worth it, and just what we needed in the squad). We have effectively done 3 good transfers in three windows if we don't get anyone in January. And I blame Woodward - if the guy (and his team of accountants) can't handle transfers (or stick to the ****** one transfer at a time policy), then hire someone who knows their **** as a DoF and get off. Because at this rate, we will practically never improve. Title winning teams weren't built on a systematic model of inconsistency which we are exhibiting right now - so much so that Top 4 has never been more achievable, yet I am reasonably confident we will mess that up.

Poch is available, but the way the club is run, I honestly don't want him here - it will just screw him over as well. Until the Glazers step in and remove Woodward from the football side of things, that is never going to happen - atleast, not until we stop being a money-spinning organization. Which, honestly, is not very far off. There's only so much money you can generate at the top if you are unable to play well/compete with the best. Let's face it, we are already facing it with young players - growing up, they haven't seen United at the very top unlike earlier - makes it more difficult to get them interested. I don't know - something has to give, otherwise, it'll just be more dire stuff ahead.

I disagree with Dybala. Dybala would've been a Di Maria 2.0 signing so I'm glad we're learning from our mistakes however, most of the points you made are already known facts.

While I would criticize Woodward for his ineptitude in the transfer market, OGS has this "my target or bust" approach which could make things more difficult for even a seasoned DOF (if we ever sign one) so that's an issue.

Also, on his tactics, yeah, he needs to really work on his subs: both the timing and the purpose (although we don't have that much quality on the bench to begin with).

His primary style of play is to play on the break but you need teams to open up to you. As I mentioned earlier-ish, top teams should be flexible enough to play possession build-up football and play on the counter. Liverpool are good on the break but they have little issues unlocking compact teams with firmino's guile link up play combined with the creativity from their fullbacks. City's movement off the ball alone distorts compact teams and creates pockets of space for the mids and under lapping full backs to exploit. Now, it's easy to point to lack of quality attacking players but I personally think we should be doing better to break compact teams. When I watch us play vs compact teams, I feel the guile off the ball movement isn't there. It's like OGS pulls aside our mids and forwards and says "go out and do ya thing lads". I feel there's no real plan for that. Aren't attacking movements rehearsed for several scenarios? I would think that. It all seems too flexible and somewhat predictable. Rashford makes several runs off the ball that are never respected, Martial barely does and wants the ball played to feet. When he does get the ball, only player I see making a willing run ahead of him to Rashford or occasionally Dan James.

All in all, I still believe OGS is in over his head. Would adding more midfield quality improve things? I doubt it but let's watch and see...

gotta be someone whos free in June you could pick up on the cheap in the window..

Hopefully we're at least considering gedson fernandes. If we can get the reported 18month loan with option surely it's a no brainer. Certainly has potential and we need the numbers. Better than spunking 10's of millions on a permanent signing only to flop. Bayern have been getting these kinds of deals for years and been pretty good so I'd give it a go even if it's a cheap short term option.

Hopefully we're at least considering gedson fernandes. If we can get the reported 18month loan with option surely it's a no brainer. Certainly has potential and we need the numbers. Better than spunking 10's of millions on a permanent signing only to flop. Bayern have been getting these kinds of deals for years and been pretty good so I'd give it a go even if it's a cheap short term option.
Been used mate to for West Ham to pay up. Plus according to Benfica fans after a good break through season last he’s been absolute pony this season hence why Benfica want rid.

jb8521
@jb_8521
United U19s won their first match of the Mercedes Benz junior Cup 2-1 against Porto. A very young United side struggled with the physicality of Porto early on but did well to come back from 1-0 down with 4 minutes left. Goals from Helm & Wellens.

Been used mate to for West Ham to pay up. Plus according to Benfica fans after a good break through season last he’s been absolute pony this season hence why Benfica want rid.
Last year he played in the middle. All the time. This year he's been all over the place and moreso on the right wing. No wonder he's been ****, out of position all season.

Last year he played in the middle. All the time. This year he's been all over the place and moreso on the right wing. No wonder he's been ****, out of position all season.
He played wide sometimes last year also. This year he’s not even being picked anymore