The Manchester United Thread

Hard to say, cos the season objective rests on CL, without Maguire our defence wouldn't even have got us this far.
Fair enough his strengths work at its best when playing counter-attacking which has been the MO for the majority of the season. The question becomes when controlling possession and pushing the defensive line higher up the pitch that all his flaws become evident.

Edit: Forgot to add if Ole is going to transition to a side that is more controlling he does have the players now e.g Pogba back and Fernandes. Can he ask Maguire to play against his strengths?

Last edited:
Fair enough his strengths work at its best when playing counter-attacking which has been the MO for the majority of the season. The question becomes when controlling possession and pushing the defensive line higher up the pitch that all his flaws become evident.

Edit: Forgot to add if Ole is going to transition to a side that is more controlling he does have the players now e.g Pogba back and Fernandes. Can he ask Maguire to play against his strengths?

Usually if you have one defender who covers it's not an issue, right now him and Lindelof doesn't work well I agree....

Usually if you have one defender who covers it's not an issue, right now him and Lindelof doesn't work well I agree....
A CB partnership is worth its weight in gold Bruce and Pallister were never the best compared to their peers at the time but both of them were outstanding as a partnership. Right now well since the restart, Lindelof has been the better half and personally for me would work better in a side that has aspirations of challenging for the top. Maguire for me seems like your Andy Carroll moment where there's a decent player in there with clear strengths but you have to convince yourself that he is the answer when it's not.

Need someone to protect behind them also. Ala Fernandinho in City. Dont belive Scotty has that, but maybe in the future

Just gotta forget today the players have and get ready for a tough WHU game. This season could and looks like it will be a good full first season for Ole incharge.

On a positive note Leicester will need to win at OT whilst either a win or draw at West Ham for Utd means they only need to remain undefeated in the last game.

Dean Henderson couldn't come back soon enough.

1595191099025.png

Maguire and DDG have been awful for ages. But we need to forget today ASAP. After Leicester losing we must beat West Ham and by at least 3 goals if possible. If we win by 3 goals we can lose to Leicester 1-0 and still get 4th on goal difference. Or just beat West Ham and we can get the draw at Leicester as well. Get top 4 and a bit of a rest then go for the Europa League and get straight in the Champions League instead of playing a qualifier

Maguire and DDG have been awful for ages. But we need to forget today ASAP. After Leicester losing we must beat West Ham and by at least 3 goals if possible. If we win by 3 goals we can lose to Leicester 1-0 and still get 4th on goal difference. Or just beat West Ham and we can get the draw at Leicester as well. Get top 4 and a bit of a rest then go for the Europa League and get straight in the Champions League instead of playing a qualifier

I don't think 4th plays in qualifiers anymore. Not since a couple seasons ago

Swear you just need two draws as Leicester lost today. Defo should still make top 4.
Yep 2 draws will do it obviously would prefer 2 wins lol. If we get top 4 then into the semi of both domestic cups and say the final of the Europa I would say thats been a progressive season under Ole. Add to that the dread wood he’s been moving out and looking to again this summer. His buys have been good also.

We seem a **** of a lot fitter now and you can see our pressing game improving but still could be better. And our attacking play is night and day compared to what it’s been even since Fergies later seasons. Still room for improvement but I would of taken this at the start of the season.

Yeah Maguire definitely been off it since the return. Not awful imo but defo not at the levels he has played this season. It’s strange yes we have been on a great run since lockdown was lifted but some of our players that were looking very good since Jan look bobbins now.

Fred and AWB were looking like player of the season candidates now look nothing like. Mctominey who has improved again hugely this season looks like Darron Gibson mk2. Maguire been poor since the return even the few times Williams and James have featured they have looked under cooked. Think with AWB it’s just tiredness. Fred, McTominey, James just look under used trying to find form with limited mins. And Maguire I read has been playing with injections a lot of the season and it’s finally catching up with him.

Just need a huge push and grind out the results we need to get top 4 then have a couple weeks rest before the Europa. Hopefully no more injuries! Hope Bailly ok was actually playing pretty well till the injury.And hope Shaw can make it back for one of the remaining league games.