The Manchester United Thread

One of the biggest faults Manchester United made with DDG is long back when he first signed. He needed a goalkeeper ahead of him for at least half a season, a role model like VdS so they could work on DDGs weakness, controlling goalkeeper area.
Its clear that the current set of defenders are unable to do that, help the goalkeeper. You either bring a proper leader at the back, which is not happening because Maguire (and thats not his fault) or you fix it by changing a goalkeeper to suit 'English' football more. Someone physical to deal with the crosses since Man United players cant.

Or bring a new defensive anf GK coach and work from there.
Yes his area control and domination has always lacked something but it was never a huge problem until the last two seasons, his shop stopping and agility made up for the lack however (he was an outfield Fusbol player until he was 14 which explains his preference for punching and ability at stopping with his feet), now he is starting to age and the slowing of his relexes along with the comedy (at times) defenders the cracks are showing more. Yes a more mobile and louder defender to play alongside Maguire would help but it will only help so much. Coaching won't help now either as his style of play is ingrained. He is still a very good keeper to be fair but even the best players can't keep going forever. The time is coming to replace him whether it will be at the end of the current season or next is up to the player and management to decide.

I had a discussion with Scouse the other day about player's confidence. De Gea is still among best shot stoppers in the game, if not the best. He's 30, so mobility/reflexes shouldn't be the issue for at least 2-3 seasons more. I think it's a mentality problem, thus change of an coach sounds good for me.

Nonetheless, it will be interesting. I'm not that high on Henderson, he's only marginally better at claiming those crosses ( though my sampling is really small, haven't seen enough of it yet) and worse than De Gea in everything else. He's what, 23? He still has plenty of time to improve, which is case with most goalkeepers.

Full confirmed United squad:

David de Gea, Dean Henderson, Lee Grant, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Harry Maguire, Axel Tuanzebe, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Luke Shaw, Alex Telles, Brandon Williams, Fred, Nemanja Matic, Ethan Galbraith, Shola Shoretire, Bruno Fernandes, Amad, Daniel James, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial.

One of the biggest faults Manchester United made with DDG is long back when he first signed. He needed a goalkeeper ahead of him for at least half a season, a role model like VdS so they could work on DDGs weakness, controlling goalkeeper area.
Its clear that the current set of defenders are unable to do that, help the goalkeeper. You either bring a proper leader at the back, which is not happening because Maguire (and thats not his fault) or you fix it by changing a goalkeeper to suit 'English' football more. Someone physical to deal with the crosses since Man United players cant.

Or bring a new defensive anf GK coach and work from there.
We have hired 2 new GK coaches this season

Who exactly? Can't find it anywhere... Is one of them Harris?

Can’t remember who the second one was but DDG got rid of his own GK and the club got him a new one before the season started.
I'm trying to find the name of the second, but there's nothing. Also Emilio Alvarez was at the club when Hartis (not Harris, sorry) got the job.

"
Richard Hartis said:

“I am delighted to have the opportunity to return to Manchester United; a club that I know very well. I have a great relationship with Ole and I fully understand his philosophy; the chance to work with him again is really exciting. David, Sergio, Lee and Dean are an excellent group of goalkeepers and I am also looking forward to working with Emilio and the rest of the goalkeeping coaches to develop the immense talent at the club.”
"
Also there's some controversy following the break up of Emilio and David, with Emilio accusing De Gea of being disloyal because he signed the new contract with United without telling him - even though club asked David not to tell anyone. That's Emilio's story anyway.

Matic?
Who the f.uck does that benefit in a tie that's already won?
Just sat down now, missed the first 5 mins because the little one wouldn't go to sleep :rolleyes:

That's what I like about Greenwood.
He "Has a bang", instead of looking for passes or another touch.

James has just been told He's Welsh...
He can't go on.