The Manchester United Thread

Erik ten Hag on Cristiano Ronaldo: “I am well informed, he also has an option [of another year]. Yes [he could stay beyond next season]. Of course, I have signed here for three years but in football it’s short-term as well.”

Erik ten Hag: “I think Cristiano is capable of doing that [pressing]. In his career he has shown everything. I have my set demand. We want to play in a certain way. A top player can contribute and Ronaldo is an absolute top player in our squad.”

Erik ten Hag on whether Cristiano Ronaldo could miss the start of the season: “I think so but he is training. I think we all know Ronaldo is a top professional and he will be fit. That is the last concern I have.”

ETH on FDJ

"We are looking for a player who can play in the holding midfield position, that has all the attributes more than just defending" Ten Hag clarified, "but it has to be the right one.

"There are not many in that position capable of the level we demand. When we can’t find him, we have to deal with the players in our squad now and we will develop one in that position."
Christ…

Full backs involved in the attack has been a big notice in pre season so far. Sancho looks like the player we were expecting. Martial>Ronaldo 😋

Not getting too excited but the way we just played through the palace press was brilliant to watch
Yeah. Even teams like Palace gave United trouble last season with their pressing. Things are better, but we'll see just how much very soon.

So you say but he has been talking to ten Hag so it will be interesting to watch unfold.
He could do mate. Never say never. And ETH has been tight lipped even to MUTV tactic wise. But just going off his former history he’s been using more 4231. And that’s how we have been in pre season so far. You could caveat that by saying he’s not had his squad. So I guess we won’t know for sure till the season starts. Or when Eriksen joins the squad after the next friendly.

Something I did read today. Was Eth sees Martinez as a defender. Which puts to bed the talk from fans using him as a DM. Which makes me think Varane or Maguire will be dropping to the bench. And Martinez will be starting lcb

Ducker seems convinced ten Hag is set on de Jong to be a DM behind 2 8's.

Which is 'interesting' in the PL.
City do something similar but FdJ is no lone DM. He’s played there an handful of times in Spain and has looked very suspect with his positioning.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m sure that’s not how we will line up at all. It will be 4231
Formations aren’t the be all, end all of a team’s structure. ETH played a 4-2-3-1 at Ajax but in truth, Gravenberch often stationed in advanced positions on the pitch alongside Berghius with Alvarez sitting behind both.

He could do mate. Never say never. And ETH has been tight lipped even to MUTV tactic wise. But just going off his former history he’s been using more 4231. And that’s how we have been in pre season so far. You could caveat that by saying he’s not had his squad. So I guess we won’t know for sure till the season starts. Or when Eriksen joins the squad after the next friendly.

Something I did read today. Was Eth sees Martinez as a defender. Which puts to bed the talk from fans using him as a DM. Which makes me think Varane or Maguire will be dropping to the bench. And Martinez will be starting lcb
Can't see Maguire being dropped if he's stayed as captain. Makes no sense to have your captain on the bench most weeks.

City do something similar but FdJ is no lone DM. He’s played there an handful of times in Spain and has looked very suspect with his positioning.

'If' he winds up at Utd, and that is the plan, I'd be more concerned about the physicality/ pace needed in the PL for the position. The ball-playing playmaker isn't an issue. But not being the Dutch league and having nothing like that time on the ball would make that interesting.