The OMGAWD Rooney signs new 5 year contract thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 254
  • Views Views 16K
Macheda, Obertan and Smalling are all pretty crappy, I'd be amazed if they become half decent players.

I agreed abouy VDV though, I think he's pretty ove-rated, when you put crosses into him, he flaps and struggles to get them out. His good back four is the only thing protecting him.

Macheda - Deemed one of the best finishers in the whole club..
Obertan - very good winger with pace, strength and raw talent
Smalling - has looked competent when called upon.. can't really say he's done anything wrong.

And VDS has been a goalkeeping great... that's just like saying Reina is overrated when we know that's stupid..

Fletcher is above average and you know it. VDV inconsistent and crocked. what are you on about he played the majority of last seasons games. only missed one this year. and made one real mistake in like 3 season. To call Scholes average is just an insult to football, same goes for giggs.

Nice to see you dismissed young players like Herdandez, evans, rafael, fabio, macheda, obertan and smalling as average, when there only going to get better. they have the potential to all be top class players.

we finished 2 points of last season, is that pretty close.

Fletcher is decent, but he's not world class.
*VDS, he said, was ancient. He said Rio was crocked and Berba was inconsistent.
Scholes and Giggs aren't that good anymore - they're good players, but compared to Malouda, Sneijder, etc? No chance.
All of those young players bar Hernandez look pretty average to me, and you can't predict how a player will turn out - so he's judging by what level they're at currently.

I like you Scott, but you really failed in this post :S

Macheda, Obertan and Smalling are all pretty crappy, I'd be amazed if they become half decent players.

I agreed abouy VDV though, I think he's pretty ove-rated, when you put crosses into him, he flaps and struggles to get them out. His good back four is the only thing protecting him.

How many games have yous seen Obertan and Smalling play? You got no idea on Smalling and the progress he made here. He played 2 or 3 games and looked very good in 2 and excellent in 1.

And regarding Obertan, be ready to be surprised. He has not got any game time till now, if pre season form is anything to go by, then he will make it here. In few mins he got this season he did well.

Macheda is bit overrated. Welbeck is better prospect than him.

VDS overrated? You got no clue the calmness he brings to our defense. One of the best GK in the last 2 decades

did you just say Malouda is better than Scholes and Giggs? :@...

Is he better than they were at their peak? No.

Is he better than them right now. Yes.

Stop living in the past.

Scholes and Giggs aren't that good anymore - they're good players, but compared to Malouda, Sneijder, etc? No chance.
All of those young players bar Hernandez look pretty average to me, and you can't predict how a player will turn out - so he's judging by what level they're at currently.

Fletcher is above average though, i never said in my post he was world class, but he is still above average, and he compared our squad to citys and chelseas, so i think fletcher would get in the city side easy.

There still above average, i never said they where the best in the world, or compared them to Malouda or Sneijdar, so dont put words in my mouth.

You calling them average. Even at current levels, players like evans, Macheda, rafael and fabio would have a place in any prem squad. and so would players like carrick or park.

we dont need to be full of "world class" names or Marquee signings to be a title winning side, we need a team which all fulfil there roles with in the side, and thats what we have, a bit like the German football side.

Jeez, one good season and you started with this.

Scholes has been excellent this season. And giggs, well player of the season 1 season back.

You calling them average. Even at current levels, players like evans, Macheda, rafael and fabio would have a place in any prem squad. and so would players like carrick or park.

Evans, Macheda, Rafael and Fabio would get into any Prem squad? I can't see any of them in any of the top 6 clubs first teams, regularly. Maybe on the bench...

Evans, Macheda, Rafael and Fabio would get into any Prem squad? I can't see any of them in any of the top 6 clubs first teams, regularly. Maybe on the bench...

Thats why i said Squad, they dont get in our first team. But our valuable to our squad. READ MY POSTS.

Hence the word SQUAD.

Jeez, one good season and you started with this.

Scholes has been excellent this season. And giggs, well player of the season 1 season back.

Scholes has been decent-yet-overexposed this season - I say overexposed because all pundits seem to go ******* mental whenever he does anything remotely decent.
Giggs was player of the season 1 season back, but honestly, did he deserve it? Would he have gotten it if it weren't for his past reputation? No.

@Billy You really seem to hate man united.. :/

If Fergie identifies a player he wants for a lot of money, he will try to sign him.. he put in around 35 million for David Villa in the summer..so it's not like the money definitely isn't there. Also it's amazing how United haven't spent as big as City and Chelsea, yet have had more success than them in recent years with a squad with barely any world class players (apparently). United have young players such as Nani, Hernandez and Rafael who are around 3/4/5 years away from being world class and their development is crucial. The only position United really need to sort out is a creative midfielder, perhaps we could even scout a little gem out of nowhere.. you never know.

Even if United don't have money, I don't understand the reasoning behind people saying "Chelsea and City have much better squads" when being taken over by a bazillionaire and given 500 million to spend is hardly what you'd call a real football team with determination, they haven't achieved success in order to claim themselves as bigger clubs.. they just have more money. The only thing attracting people to clubs like these rather than United is the huge chequebook...

Where to begin...

First of all, I do hate United, well spotted.

Secondly, you talk about success in recent years with United like you didn't have the best player in the world carrying your team with a ridiculous amount of goals out of nothing. Ronaldo left at the end of the 2009 season, and suddenly Chelsea are champions again. Interesting coincidence, and your debts have only increased from there, so expect it to continue.

As for your opinion on Hernandez, Rafael and Nani, I won't argue as that is your opinion, but I disagree. Nani is the only one of those three with the ability to possibly reach 'world-class' ability. He's 23 though and it's time he started performing at a consistent level if he ever wants to be regarded as one of the world's best.

Your point about scouting... yeah sure, you could find a diamond in the rough, kicking rocks around the streets of Venezuela, but doesn't mean you will. To invest hope into something like that seems a bit foolish to me.

Finally, your paragraph about City and Chelsea - It doesn't matter how they achieve their success. The simple truth is that they will do it anyway, whether it's by throwing 9 figure sums at every Tom, **** and Harry that cruises through the football world, or whether they start developing their own talent by investing in their own academies. United are on the down, whereas Chelsea and City will be challenging at the top in future, of that I am sure.

Scott said:
Fletcher is above average and you know it. VDV inconsistent and crocked. what are you on about he played the majority of last seasons games. only missed one this year. and made one real mistake in like 3 season. To call Scholes average is just an insult to football, same goes for giggs.

Nice to see you dismissed young players like Herdandez, evans, rafael, fabio, macheda, obertan and smalling as average, when there only going to get better. they have the potential to all be top class players.

we finished 2 points of last season, is that pretty close.

Disagree about Fletcher. I won't bother arguing about it, as you love him so you won't see reason.

I didn't call VDS, not VDV, crocked or inconsistent. You read my post wrong. I called him ancient, which is true, and you're going to need a quality replacement soon. Scholes and Giggs are both average now, through no fault of their own. They are old, and the only reason they remain in football is because Ferguson has asked them personally to stay on, because your squad is so thin. Imagine how much worse it would look without two of the best past midfielders on the team sheet.

Your young players are average until proven otherwise. I can hardly call them quality if they've done nothing worthy of note.

As for your finishing 2 points off last season - Yes, you did extremely well and Rooney carried your goal tally. Let's see if he manages it again this season.

Ok can i not hear the word Rooney again until he scores please? Thanks im all Rooneyed out.

To be fair Veron wasn't the best and United were lucky to offload him for a good price to Chelsea.

And Berbatov, although playing well recently, still doesn't merit the fee paid (yet)

Bebe hasn't even played in the 1st team so nobody can really say he doesnt justify the fee yet

I wasn't trying to justify whether they are flops or not though. I would rather remain on the fence regarding this matter as I think flops or not they had done their part for their team. Personally I would rather my team to be using youngsters with potential (Obertan, Macheda, Hernandez, Rafael, Fabio, Evans etc) than taking the risk of buying expensive players that might be "flops" or whatever you all call them. I would be delighted that my club would be able to pick up quality players on a cheap like Vidic and Evra though.

I agree with the sentiments that Man Utd has an average squad that were carried by a few top players, but to be honest, the same thing happened back during the 2005/2006 as well. That was the season when Roy Keane openly criticized players like John O'Shea, Alan Smith, Kieran Richardson Rio Ferdinand and Darren Fletcher and then departed from the club. Furthermore, the club was placed last in their Champions League group and was eliminated without reaching the knockout stage for the first time since 1993/94. Players like Paul Scholes were out of the season due to blurred vision, Ole Gunnar Solkjaer unable to play for the whole season, Louis Saha in and out of the operation room and Alan Smith injured after being hit by a ball (there were even times when O'Shea was playing in his position due to the lack of players!). That was also the time when C.Ronaldo was nothing more than a show pony and Wayne Rooney was having a lot of disciplinary problems (clapping the referee etc). It was also the time when Chelsea won their second consecutive league title and looks set to dominate the EPL (and Man Utd's title hope were ended with a 3-0 thrashing handed out by Chelsea). Even new recruits like Vidic and Evra were widely criticized and were labelled as flops. It was also the season when Van Nistelrooy stormed out of the stadium when Man Utd played their season finale.

I mean, things now couldn't be any worse than it was before, right?

Fletcher is average player? No wonder he is underrated and his name is Fletcher. He was the first name on the teamsheet in all our big games, made so many midfielder looks silly, still he is an average player.

Fletcher is an Excellent player, might not be world class, but very close to it.

Fletcher is average player? No wonder he is underrated and his name is Fletcher. He was the first name on the teamsheet in all our big games, made so many midfielder looks silly, still he is an average player.

Fletcher is an Excellent player, might not be world class, but very close to it.

Fergie/United spending so much time/money/effort trying to get Hargreaves fit when nearly everyone else has given up on him would suggest Fergie feels Fletcher is nothing more than a stop gap.

I agree he's a good player, but he's not world class or close to it. He's improved since the days of being the laughing stock of OT that earned him the nickname 'pub team Fletch' but he's nothing more than a solid box to box workhorse imo.

Fergie/United spending so much time/money/effort trying to get Hargreaves fit when nearly everyone else has given up on him would suggest Fergie feels Fletcher is nothing more than a stop gap.

I agree he's a good player, but he's not world class or close to it. He's improved since the days of being the laughing stock of OT that earned him the nickname 'pub team Fletch' but he's nothing more than a solid box to box workhorse imo.

Completely agree with this. He is a good player and that is it, nothing special. He does his job.

Back