The OMGAWD Rooney signs new 5 year contract thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 254
  • Views Views 16K
Nani is the only one of those three with the ability to possibly reach 'world-class' ability. He's 23 though and it's time he started performing at a consistent level if he ever wants to be regarded as one of the world's best.

To be honest, I think you're extremely bias regarding this matter. Nani had been our best player since January, and had been performing consistently well bar that game where he was sent off. His run of good form had been longer than Gareth Bale. He ended last season with 3 goals and 10 assists while Gareth Bale ended with 3 goals and 5 assists (I'm talking about the league, therefore not counting his 2 goals against Bayern Munich). This season, he had played all 8 league games for Man Utd (coming on as a sub in the Fulham game) and had already scored 3 while assisting 7 times. Gareth Bale? Well, 2 goals and 1 assist. But yet you Spurs fans had been claiming that Gareth Bale is one of the best left wingers in the world, one of the best talent in EPL, world class winger etc

Hey I mean, Nani is not any worse than Bale right? Why are you people still saying that he is inconsistent? He might be so in the past, but seriously, watch his games in the past 10 months.

Fergie/United spending so much time/money/effort trying to get Hargreaves fit when nearly everyone else has given up on him would suggest Fergie feels Fletcher is nothing more than a stop gap.

I agree he's a good player, but he's not world class or close to it. He's improved since the days of being the laughing stock of OT that earned him the nickname 'pub team Fletch' but he's nothing more than a solid box to box workhorse imo.

We spend so much time on Hargo as we have spent 18M on him. Hardo would be excellent addition to the squad that doesnt mean Fletcher is average and no way he is stop gap. He has proved he is good enough for us and he will be our best CM.

Hargo has done nothing worth of note as CM/DM when we play 2 at Center. It was as RW and RB he played really well.

Fletcher has proved and did enough to say he is United quality. You might not see waht he brings to the team but when he doesnt play you can see what we are missing.

To be honest, I think you're extremely bias regarding this matter. Nani had been our best player since January, and had been performing consistently well bar that game where he was sent off. His run of good form had been longer than Gareth Bale. He ended last season with 3 goals and 10 assists while Gareth Bale ended with 3 goals and 5 assists (I'm talking about the league, therefore not counting his 2 goals against Bayern Munich). This season, he had played all 8 league games for Man Utd (coming on as a sub in the Fulham game) and had already scored 3 while assisting 7 times. Gareth Bale? Well, 2 goals and 1 assist. But yet you Spurs fans had been claiming that Gareth Bale is one of the best left wingers in the world, one of the best talent in EPL, world class winger etc

Hey I mean, Nani is not any worse than Bale right? Why are you people still saying that he is inconsistent? He might be so in the past, but seriously, watch his games in the past 10 months.

You are entitled to your opinion. The comparisons between Bale and Nani are all well and good, however I have no doubt who the clubs outside of Manchester United/Tottenham would consider the better player, and who they would prefer on their books, especially given Bale is barely 21. Not to mention those stats you've given are only taking the league into account, rather than the goals he scored against Inter, and the assists he managed against Young Boys and others, which would put his tally well and truly past Nani's.

Not really sure if your decision to ignore the rest of my post means that you agree with me on the rest, or if you can't think of a suitable reply, but either way I am grateful for having to type less in response.

nani and bale are both very good players and will both be world class in a years time. Who is better is up for debate whilst nani has better dribbling, more flair etc. Bale is technically better than nani is a better crosser/passer of the ball and is more direct than nani, they will both be world class players

Anyway ladies, this thread (and i was fully involved in it, no doubt Lee will infract me when he sees) has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic. It's good for everyone to let off steam sometimes, and I'm glad we've had a good discussion with lots of opinions but without the cheap shots/insults for once.

Let's get back to discussing Rooneys new contract please.

Last edited:
Anyway ladies, this thread (and i was fully involved in it, no doubt Lee will infract me when he sees) has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic. It's good for everyone to let off steam sometimes, and I'm glad we've had a good discussion with lots of opinions but without the cheap shots/insults for once.

You're all tossers.

I must say though, what a massive u-turn, happy for United and a good thing for England. Would have been nice to see a weaker United side though!!

P.S Bale is better than Nani.

You are entitled to your opinion. The comparisons between Bale and Nani are all well and good, however I have no doubt who the clubs outside of Manchester United/Tottenham would consider the better player, and who they would prefer on their books, especially given Bale is barely 21. Not to mention those stats you've given are only taking the league into account, rather than the goals he scored against Inter, and the assists he managed against Young Boys and others, which would put his tally well and truly past Nani's.

Not really sure if your decision to ignore the rest of my post means that you agree with me on the rest, or if you can't think of a suitable reply, but either way I am grateful for having to type less in response.

Are you absolutely sure about what you've said? That Gareth Bale's tally would be better than Nani's? Alright, let's start talking facts shall we. As I've said before, Nani had scored 3 goals and bagged 7 assists in the league this season. Add his Champions League goal in and he has 4 goals and 7 assists. Gareth Bale has 2 goals and 1 assists. Add Gareth Bale's hat-trick into here, his 1 goal against FC Twente and 4 assists against YOUNG BOYS. Well thats 6 goals and 5 assists. Impressive. So Nani had his hand in 11 goals while Bale has 11. Well and truly past Nani's? I wouldn't be even start commenting on the standard of oppositions since it's kinda touchy.

Now let's talk about last seasons. Nani has 3 goals and 10 assists in the league, 2 goals and 1 assist in the CL in 1 goal in the Community Shield. That's 7 goals and 11 assists. Now let's look at Bale. 3 goals and 5 assists in the league and I don't remember Spurs being in any significant competitions after January. Maybe he did well in some FA Cup games. I'll just blindly add 5 assists to his name. That's 3 goals and 10 assists. After blindly adding 5 assist to his name, Bale still lost to Nani's tally significantly.

Just in case you might be arguing that Nani had played more games than Bale, I'll post up more statistics for you. Gareth Bale had played 1713 minutes last season in the league while Nani had played 1585 minutes.

Oh and why I ignored the rest of your posts? Because simply because I stopped reading after the part in which you say Nani isn't consistent enough?

Are you absolutely sure about what you've said? That Gareth Bale's tally would be better than Nani's? Alright, let's start talking facts shall we. As I've said before, Nani had scored 3 goals and bagged 7 assists in the league this season. Add his Champions League goal in and he has 4 goals and 7 assists. Gareth Bale has 2 goals and 1 assists. Add Gareth Bale's hat-trick into here, his 1 goal against FC Twente and 4 assists against YOUNG BOYS. Well thats 6 goals and 4 assists. Impressive. So Nani had his hand in 11 goals while Bale has 10. Well and truly past Nani's?

Now let's talk about last seasons. Nani has 3 goals and 10 assists in the league, 2 goals and 1 assist in the CL in 1 goal in the Community Shield. That's 7 goals and 11 assists. Now let's look at Bale. 3 goals and 5 assists in the league and I don't remember Spurs being in any significant competitions after January. Maybe he did well in some FA Cup games. I'll just blindly add 5 assists to his name. That's 3 goals and 10 assists. After blindly adding 5 assist to his name, Bale still lost to Nani's tally significantly.

Just in case you might be arguing that Nani had played more games than Bale, I'll post up more statistics for you. Gareth Bale had played 1713 minutes last season in the league while Nani had played 1585 minutes.

Oh and why I ignored the rest of your posts? Because simply because I stopped reading after the part in which you say Nani isn't consistent enough?

Can you not read?

Don't really see this as Rooney bending Ferguson over.

We are probably not going to find out what's happened for a fair while but personally i think Rooney's tried to get a better contract than the one he had by saying he won't sign, ferguson's called his bluff in the media and he's got slaughtered. Three days later he's signed a new contract which is probably a compromise between what Rooney wanted and what united were originally offering.

That was my opinion after i heard the news anyway. Luckily my internet has been dead so i didn't have the opportunity to say something i'd regret about Rooney. XD

Glad he's signed, pretty dirty negotiating tactics he's used but he was probably heavily influenced by his agent.

Last edited:
LOL I'm sorry then because I spent around 20 minutes looking up for the statistics therefore I must have missed your post.

What a ridiculous chain of events. Was this publicity for a new Shrek movie ?

Fergie/United spending so much time/money/effort trying to get Hargreaves fit when nearly everyone else has given up on him would suggest Fergie feels Fletcher is nothing more than a stop gap.

I agree he's a good player, but he's not world class or close to it. He's improved since the days of being the laughing stock of OT that earned him the nickname 'pub team Fletch' but he's nothing more than a solid box to box workhorse imo.

As you said Flecther is a box to box workhorse, whilst hargreaves is a solid DM which protects the back four. i think Fergie trying to get hargreaves fit, is first he is a real asset due to his brilliant ability and 2nd carrick is *****

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Quickly United fans, burn all those banners and delete all those posts you've made, because I bet a few of you take it back now.

Just for the record, i stand by everything bad i have said about the spoilt brat!!!!!! He will have to have a pretty special season for me to forgive him.

I smell yet another clever PR stunt by Man U here. How does a player go from failing to agree a contract, announcing to the club that he wants to leave on August 14th, it all comes out 2 months later, he states publicly that he wnats to leave and will not be signing a new contract, and yet within a couple of days he signed a 5 year deal?

Do you think that maybe Utd and Rooney are trying to cover his off field problems with a smoke screen of a dramatic departure from the club and a bust up with Ferguson?

Not very often I agree with a Liverpool fan..But this is a **** of a good point..

I dont see how anyone can say who won this out of fergie and Dickface tbh.

No-one knows the contract he signed, the terms, no-one apart from them to and David Gill was in this meeting. How can anyone say anyone won is beyond me?

I dont see how anyone can say who won this out of fergie and Dickface tbh.

No-one knows the contract he signed, the terms, no-one apart from them to and David Gill was in this meeting. How can anyone say anyone won is beyond me?
as it stands it looks like 1-0 Rooney. But i doubt this is the end of it, like you say we dont know what happened in there, there could be more from both sides

It's nice to know that football fans automatically drop into the scoreline metaphor, isn't it? :P

As it stands, to me it looks rather like a 2-1 to Rooney, both sides scoring own goals before Rooney jinking his way past the Ferguson defence to slot home the winning fat wodge of cash.

Also, if no-one else has already posted: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6461254,00.html

Last edited:
It's nice to know that football fans automatically drop into the scoreline metaphor, isn't it? :P

As it stands, to me it looks rather like a 2-1 to Rooney, both sides scoring own goals before Rooney jinking his way past the Ferguson defence to slot home the winning fat wodge of cash.

Also, if no-one else has already posted: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6461254,00.html

The ironic twist to that is his first game back is proberbly against city at eastlands (6)

Back