The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 688K
What does restricting non EU players do to make the game more about "English people"?

I mean what does it matter if a player is Spanish or Columbian?

If the idea behind this is actually to make clubs more focused on developing English/Home-grown players surely the squad rules etc. are sufficient?

12 home grown players rather than 8 and home grown rule is changed too. Player should spend 3 years before 18 rather than before 21.

12 home grown players rather than 8 and home grown rule is changed too. Player should spend 3 years before 18 rather than before 21.

Yea, that's what I mean. Why tighten EU restrictions on top of that though? Doesn't make sense to me.

The remaining players are likely to be foreign anyway, why does it matter where they come from?

Yea, that's what I mean. Why tighten EU restrictions on top of that though? Doesn't make sense to me.

The remaining players are likely to be foreign anyway, why does it matter where they come from?

Yeah this rule means top PL teams can buy South Americans but the likes of Hull, Stoke can't as the players the smaller clubs target won't get the work permit.

Also the PL teams can forget about signing next Di Maria's, Agueros for smaller fee when they are youngsters

Also City are ****** if the new rule is implemented.
City are one of the club that would need some persuading to buy into the proposals. The Blues currently have six home grown players in their Premier League squad of 25.
Of those, Frank Lampard is off to New York City in summer while James Milner is also expected to leave; Dedryck Boyata and Gael Clichy would not count as home grown under ****'s new thinking; and Richard Wright, who turns 38 in November.
Joe Hart would then be the only home grown (but not club trained) player currently in the first team squad, with 11 more places expected to be filled.
The Blues have a number of academy prospects, although a number of their leading starlets would fall foul of the proposed home grown rules, having only joined the club when regulations allowed them to, aged 16 at the earliest.

How Greg ****'s 'Harry Kane' plan would tear up Man City's international squad - Manchester Evening News

Noticed something when I was looking at the international squads. I believe these rules should offer more playing opportunities for young players, especially those aged between 20 and 24 years (you can't expect teams to field teenagers if they're not extremely good). So I counted players in English squad in this age range.
Clyne, Jones, Walker, Barkley, Henderson, Sterling, Townsend, Kane, Welbeck, Rose, Butland, Mason. 12 players aged betweem 20 and 24 in current England squad. For example, Italy has 7 players that age, Germany and Spain 6. Not enough chances for young players you say, eh?

england are just ***** thats why they never do well and roy hodgson is the manager a championship manager at best

There is very little chance this will actually pass as it is. Knowing our luck though, this will be the issue where the FA finally grow a spine and stand up to the PL, just in time to implement a moronic policy.

england are just ***** thats why they never do well and roy hodgson is the manager a championship manager at best

More than England being ****, Hodgson is utter ****. Don't think England have had a decent manager in quite some time. England's squad is actually still pretty decent, although the performances could fool even themselves..

Yeah right.. like they wouldnt just use the cash from TV to buy HG before 2016.

If all of those clubs didnt see this coming and just invested and/or revamped the youth academys, they want shooting.

The league tables and cup finals at u18-u15 levels show Chelsea and City have already. This will just inflate HG players even more..

Uefa increases Champions League & Europa League pot to £1.67bn
British clubs playing in the Champions League and Europa League from next season will receive a share of a 2.24bn euro (£1.67bn) prize pot.

Uefa is to increase funding by nearly a third from 1.66bn euro (£1.2bn).

The deal will also see money being distributed more evenly, with Europa League participants getting increased revenue in the qualifying rounds.

Uefa president Michel Platini said: "Uefa should work with associations and clubs to find the best solutions."

European money boost breakdown
32 Champions League group-stage clubs share £872m (up from £696m) from next term, equating to a guaranteed £8.7m entry payment (up from £6.3m)

48 Europa League group-stage clubs share £277m (up from £167m) from next term, equating to a guaranteed £1.7m (up from £945,000)

Uefa has also agreed to give European Club Association members at least 200m euro (£145m) from Euro 2020 revenues for releasing their players.

This is an increase of 50m euro (£36m) from Euro 2016 for ECA members, which includes the Premier League's biggest clubs as well as sides from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The new deal for the European club competitions, which will run until 2018, will also involve two ECA representatives from its 214 member clubs across Europe sitting on the Uefa executive committee.

ECA chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge added: "ECA is still a very young organisation and these achievements are an extraordinary success, which will strengthen the solidarity among the clubs and our sense of responsibility for football."

Jones has just made Chiellini look like the worlds best winger.
I know lol. I don't have a clue why he was playing at DM after having 3 good games at CB for Utd. Was **** before there and still is! We have CMs on the bench FFS and this diamond aint gona work with Walcott up to and Delph running round like a headless chicken.

Back