The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 688K
Would appear a certain Mr. Barton has lost the plot. Again.

Joey Barton lambasts former Republic stars - International, Football - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

If I was you Mr. Barton, I'd be very careful-especially with Mark Hughes coming in. The guy needs a kick up the backside. Apart from the fact he's failing to live up to his own self deluded hype. And Joey you'd do well to realise on one thing. Matt Holland is ten times the player and consumate professional you'll ever be. Grow up and stop being such a foolish boy. It's not funny anymore. It's sad.

DTguardian daniel taylor
Vincent Kompany's red-card appeal has been turned down. Misses the next four matches #MCFC

No surprise tbh as I mentioned before. Refs have to follow rules, and he did. Even though I thought it was the wrong decision. But what's done is done.

Thought as much tbh. Going strictly and literally by the rulebook, Kompany's sending off was entirely justified. He's gone in with two feet and his studs are showing - as far as the rules are concerned, that's a dangerous challenge and therefore a straight red card.

But, of course referees need to use common sense. In this case, Foy clearly didn't and was being a stupid moron.

Kompany quite clearly wins the ball 100% with his first foot and even Nani doesn't complain about it. The problem is his second foot then comes in from the side and - although it makes minimal (if any) contact with Nani - the challenge is therefore deemed 2 footed, etc. etc.

Should never have been a red, but once it was awarded it was never getting overturned. If it was overturned it would have amounted to the FA saying 'it is OK to use two feet in a tackle with studs raised' - something they obviously don't want to happen.

There needs to be room to allow officials to make common sense decisions, yes the tackle was a little reckless, and it could have been dangerous, but as it turned out, it was a clean tackle, with little/no contact with Nani, little protest from players (usually there is a 20 man scrum around the ref when a 'shocker' is dished out by a meaty centre back on a fragile winger) and most tellingly, no immediate crowd reaction.

The ref could have said to Kompany: your card is marked now, yellows and reds for you today if you step out of line - essentially; 'I'm watching you.'

If that is deemed too lenient among the referees assessors, then i don't think anyone would have protested too much about a yellow.

For gods sake stop spamming threads about your blog please

Aston Villa:

Given
Warnock
Dunne
Collins
Hutton
Clark
Petrov
Agbonlahor
Ireland
Albrighton
Bent

Subs: Guzan, Cuellar, Insomnia, Delph, Keane, Bannan, Gardner

Everton:

Howard
Baines
Heitinga
Duffy
Neville
Donovan
Gibson
Fellaini
Drenthe
Cahill
Saha

Subs: Mucha, Bily, Stracqua, McFadden, Gueye, Vellios, Anichebe

GG Everton... Saha :wub:
Too bad I have to watch Untied :)

If Keane comes on and nicks a later winner I shall hate Villa even more than I do now lol (and I mean hate as in the way some previous results have gone-not personal lol). Though I expect Gibson to get on the scoresheet and show the strikers how it's done

Last edited:
I really expect us to either lose horribly or nick a last minute draw after you've dominated the whole match. :P

Back