The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 688K
anyone watching Bayern vs Wolfsburg? Wolfsburd 1 up and all over Bayern right now!

edit Wolfsburg hanging on for their lives right now Benaglio playing well with few goodsaves

Last edited:
anyone watching Bayern vs Wolfsburg? Wolfsburd 1 up and all over Bayern right now!

edit Wolfsburg hanging on for their lives right now Benaglio playing well with few goodsaves
And now, in 81 minute, Lewandowski happened. I'm not watching the game, but 5 goals and hitting the post...

And now, in 81 minute, Lewandowski happened. I'm not watching the game, but 5 goals and hitting the post...

apparently 5 in 10 minutes according to dasty in the United thread. absolutely crazy, shame for Woolfsburg because they more than held their own in the first half

For someone like me who studies religion, I found this rather interesting:

View attachment 223025

Obviously not the most scientific of studies, but still fascinating. Note that these surveys were done in the US... So when "football" is referred to, it's that sport where they almost never actually use their feet, but instead run around throwing an oval thingy to each other.

Yehven Konoplayanka made the idiotic statement of the day!
“If I was two-and-a-half metres tall and didn’t know how to control a ball then I may have gone to England, but here [in Spain], the football’s more technical. It’s the best,” he said.

In Spain, football is more tactical, however if you are talking about technical then that's a whole different ball game. Spanish players better technical ability on average than English players however generalising the whole league is totally different. There's no real argument to this other than Real and Barca. Spanish teams tend to have a lesser direct style, however overall technical ability is a whole other subject. There is a huge contrast with the top to the bottom of the league and they don't have the resources to acquire the players that premier league clubs can.

Yeah Premier League so stronk, they can even put up a fight versus champions of Greece and Croatia.

Must be all those resource.

Yeah Premier League so stronk, they can even put up a fight versus champions of Greece and Croatia.

Must be all those resource.
Lets just compare the European competitiveness of English clubs, Greek clubs and Croatian clubs and look at how stupid your sensational statement is.

That clearly makes a team incapable of losing a game....

Meh, sorry about that comment. I didn't see all the stuff you already got in the Arsenal thread ;)

On a more serious note, it's more worrying that the PL clubs don't take the european cups as serious as other teams. Ofcourse you could say the BPL is a tough league, but the top 6 has so much more money that they should be able to use squad players so they are not only physical ready for European matches, but also mentally (which Wenger was talking about earlier wasn't he?). And take the risk you will get a draw instead of a win the BPL, just because you can show your real strength in europe, like all other teams are doing.

Meh, sorry about that comment. I didn't see all the stuff you already got in the Arsenal thread ;)

On a more serious note, it's more worrying that the PL clubs don't take the european cups as serious as other teams. Ofcourse you could say the BPL is a tough league, but the top 6 has so much more money that they should be able to use squad players so they are not only physical ready for European matches, but also mentally (which Wenger was talking about earlier wasn't he?). And take the risk you will get a draw instead of a win the BPL, just because you can show your real strength in europe, like all other teams are doing.
I wouldn't say that BPL clubs don't take the European Cups seriously. The Leicester game we played on the weekend were harder than what we've faced thus far. That was the 7th error Ospina has made, leading to a goal in 2016 btw.

Why do English clubs underperform in Europe? I'd love to hear opinions about it.

Why do English clubs underperform in Europe? I'd love to hear opinions about it.

If you want to have a proper conversation about it I will indulge you, there are many factors, Tyton has touched upon a big one in the golden generation retiring and no one really coming through to replace them, then also about the youth recruitment being shambolic (or was that you who mentioned that?). But I also think a big part of this is the evolution of the BPL, everything has to be blood and thunder all the time, fans expect it, no demand it. You hear it in the stands, pubs, forums etc. There is no patience in the play no more, its no longer acceptable to just keep hold of possession and probe, everything has to go forward at 100 miles an hour.

This also has a knock on affect onto the standard of defending, you only have to look at Darmian, now this is not to say he isn't good because he quite clearly is but a full back who knows how to defend has been a revelation, that is not purely a coincidence, it just shows you we have forgotten how to defend well.

The patient style is what European football is all about too, but also I think as the counter-counter becomes more important this hurts prem teams too, when coupled with the gung-ho style and the lack of defensive capability. I think if Mourinho sorts Chelsea out they could be a threat in the CL again but I think the most likely club to be successful will be United, I like what LVG is doing at United even if people on here do not and I think the way they are developing in the coming seasons they have the best chance unless Pep takes the city job. And do not even get me started on city they are the biggest offenders of the lot!

This of course is only my opinion and that is not to say it is the only reason either.

Estiban Cambiasso said in an interview after the match that it was about the intensity of the football in England means that teams don't that adequate rest
He's played in England, Spain and Germany, so his observations should be logically held higher than most.

Estiban Cambiasso said in an interview after the match that it was about the intensity of the football in England means that teams don't that adequate rest
He's played in England, Spain and Germany, so his observations should be logically held higher than most.

I don't for one second think it's because we lack the individual quality - Alot of players and managers have mentioned the physicality aspect, so perhaps that is correct, who knows!

Perhaps a short winter break would be the solution

I don't for one second think it's because we lack the individual quality - Alot of players and managers have mentioned the physicality aspect, so perhaps that is correct, who knows!

Winter break should help them in KOs but it won't have any impact on group stages.

I sort of agree with the main point, English league is physically very demanding, more now than ever so it's hard to English clubs to recover.

Arsenal should be beating teams like Olympiacos and Zagreb, United should be beating PSV etc. Looking at individual players Barca, Real and Bayern make the top 3. You then have Juventus and the top 4 Prem clubs in any order. Premier league clubs have won the champions league with worse teams. In 2008-9, 3 Prem teams made the champions league semis. The Chelsea team of today is just as good as it was then. United had Fletcher, Anderson and Nani playing regularly and we have a much stronger squad than we did then.

FA'S in other countries schedule games so that their clubs get as much rest as possible. We also have an extra cup (capital one cup) and no winter break. Imagine the rest if we hadn't had the capital one cup fixtures last week. In my opinion, the league cup needs to be scrapped, the FA needs to be more lenient with scheduling and a winter break is needed. It's rediculous that players train on Christmas day and pay 2 games in 3 days in demanding conditions.

FA'S in other countries schedule games so that their clubs get as much rest as possible. We also have an extra cup (capital one cup) and no winter break. Imagine the rest if we hadn't had the capital one cup fixtures last week. In my opinion, the league cup needs to be scrapped, the FA needs to be more lenient with scheduling and a winter break is needed. It's rediculous that players train on Christmas day and pay 2 games in 3 days in demanding conditions.

But is it fair to scrap the League Cup because the top 4 teams are playing in the Champions League? Doesn't seem right to me. I'd agree that a winter break might be reasonable, but I don't think removing an entire competition is.

Back