The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
Too early to do our season predictions? Last year we went on the eve of the season.

Leave it a other week or so?

You read my mind, I think especially with the big teams still to conclude business we should maybe wait till after the community shield at the earliest what do you think?

You read my mind, I think especially with the big teams still to conclude business we should maybe wait till after the community shield at the earliest what do you think?

Yeah, sounds like a plan. Back end of that week, or probably the Friday before the first games I'll throw mine up.

Was thinking we could tweak the template this year

top 4

underachiever of the season

overachiever of the season

bottom 3

obviously the underachiever and overchiever can be included in top 4/bottom 3

top 4

bottom 3

Oh, if you want to go like that, I'm all but good to go now.

top 4

bottom 3

So I was thinking about this today, and I really can't see any proposed signings changing my view between now and a week Sat'day.

I like the new format, but I'mma add the European places for no other reason than they're on my mind.

I'll preface this by saying ANYONE who get's in the top 4, let alone wins the league this year, will of had a marvellous season and totally earn't that spot. If we say the traditional big 4 (Arsenal, L'pool, Utd and Tottenham) is now a 6 with the additions of Chelsea and City, that's at least 2 major clubs missing out. Securing a Champions League slot will be as hard as it's every been and in truth you could guess at the top 4 a multitude of different ways and make a real strong case for each one.

That said, here's my prediction for the 2016-17 Premier League:

1) Liverpool.
-------------------------
2) Tottenham.
3) Manchester City.
4) Manchester United.
5). Arsenal.

As the League Cup/ FA Cup Winners are invariably a team that finishes in the European places, for the sake of those places then going to the PL:

6) Everton.
7) Chelsea.

18) Burnley.
19) Watford.
20) Hull City.

Underachiever of the Season:

I guess from the above you could say either Manchester club given the weight of expectation behind the respective new managers there, but I'm gonna' say Leicester City. I can see them going from Champions to the bottom third/ in/on the fringe of the relegation fight

Overachiever of the Season:

Again, from the above, the obvious one would be L'pool ending the 26 year title drought. But I'm gonna' stick with the City's other side, Everton. I really like Koeman and how he works, and the signs are there already this pre-season of how hard he's worked with them the training pitch to get his ideas across in totally changing not only the way they play, but his system which is foreign to them. They still need to upgrade, coaching and team spirit still overcomes a LOT in this game and he has that in abundance wherever he's been. A return to Europe would be a fantastic first year return WELL beyond any blues current expectation.

Last edited:
I'm going to make my predictions now as why not

1) Manchester United surprise choice for me I know
-------------------------------
2) Manchester City

3) Tottenham

4) Chelsea
----------------------------
5) Arsenal
----------------------------
6) Leicester

7) Stoke

----------------------

18) Burnley

19) Middlesbrough

20) Hull

Underachiever: Few to pick from, I think Middlesbrough will underwhelm despite a lot of people liking them but will go for West Ham. While they have recruited well for some reason I feel like they won't do well this season. I can also see Hull easily "beating" Derby's record of 11 points but, I don't think people expect much more.

Overachiever: Going to go for Stoke, while I only have them going up two places it would be a very good season for them if they could get Europe through the league and I think that they have a really good squad with some top class players especially in Imbula at CM

Here's my prediction for the 2016-17 Premier League:

1) Chelsea
2) Utd
3) Manchester City
4) Spurs
5) Arsenal.
6) Lfc

I actually think the EPL winners is a toss up between Chelsea and us but ill go for Chelsea.

I also expect positions 4-6 not to be so clear cut and particularly expect West Ham to push hard for inclusion there.

As the League Cup/ FA Cup Winners are invariably a team that finishes in the European places, for the sake of those places then going to the PL:

6) West Ham
7) Southampton

18) Swansea (unless they buy 4 good players by the end of the window)
19) Burnley
20) Hull City.

Everton - unless they go crazy in the transfer market till 31/8. If so then Leicester who I expect to finish around 10th.

Middlesboro - Big club, passionate fans, good manager shrewd work in the transfer market. The makings of a good season.

Here's my prediction for the 2016-17 Premier League:

1) Chelsea
2) Utd
3) Manchester City
4) Spurs
5) Arsenal.
6) Lfc

I actually think the EPL winners is a toss up between Chelsea and us but ill go for Chelsea.

I also expect positions 4-6 not to be so clear cut and particularly expect West Ham to push hard for inclusion there.

6) West Ham
7) Southampton

18) Swansea (unless they buy 4 good players by the end of the window)
19) Burnley
20) Hull City.

Everton - unless they go crazy in the transfer market till 31/8. If so then Leicester who I expect to finish around 10th.

Middlesboro - Big club, passionate fans, good manager shrewd work in the transfer market. The makings of a good season.

You've predicted two teams to finish 6th West Ham and Liverpool

That "historical merit" part is so stupid. Spurs for example could come 4th in the league, but miss out on Champions League the next season because 10th placed Liverpool have won it five times in the past?

If that's how it would work then... Well, I don't even know what to say :D

That "historical merit" part is so stupid. Spurs for example could come 4th in the league, but miss out on Champions League the next season because 10th placed Liverpool have won it five times in the past?

If that's how it would work then... Well, I don't even know what to say :D
Yes what fuckery would that be?!@@

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Since my predictions last season went so well, I might as well try again.

1. Manchester City
2. Tottenham
3. Manchester United
4. Arsenal (will start out the strongest)

18. West Brom (or Burnley)
19. Swansea
20. Hull City

Overachiever- Stoke City (fighting for 5th or 6th with West Ham)
Underachiever- Swansea

Last edited:
Im **** at predictions but here we go

1. United
2. Chelsea
3. Man City
4. Liverpool

Not even gunna attempt 5th and 6th, but I do think this is the year the gunners miss out on UCL unless they have a big transfer lined up. I think you will probably have not so many points separating the top 4 so this could be any order but no europe will help Pool and Chelsea.

Overachiever I think could well be Leicester again if Mendy settles, they may well challenge for top four as it is largely the same team plus maybe Gabriel Barbosa lol. And I feel even a top 7 spot would be overachieving for them, but with the amount of pace in their team and them still being defensively sound they will cause teams problems still.

underachiever was torn between Everton, Swansea and Arsenal but I'm gunna go Arsenal, they are the most infuriating team ever they could be one of the best teams in Europe with 2 signings but unless they have something big lined up I think that with the quality other teams have brought in and that Spurs kept all their good players this may well be the time the **** miss out and given what players they have and how much they charge would be a disaster missing out on top 4.

Relegation fodder

18th Burnley
19th Swansea
20th Hull City

Burnley and Hull city are obvious choices, both barely recruited but Swansea are in real trouble unless they make signings for me. Williams going is massive, not just their best defender but their leader, add to that Ayew leaving who was for me their best player last season. They signed Llorente but his recent scoring record is woeful and Baston is on his way but will need time to settle just don't see them staying up without major recruitment. Especially when their rivals are flashing the cash.

Back