The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
There are 2 criteria to evaluating the greatest managers. The first will be contributions to the game and the second would be trophies won. Jose Mourinho isn't a football revolutionary. There are many managers who've won just as much at the highest level. You could argue that Louis Van Gaal has a much bigger case than Mourinho. Not including Bielsa, Paisley or Guardiola is a crime to humanity.

Bob Paisley is arguably the greatest of all time.

I wouldn't disagree but I think down to pure trophy's won I'd be fine with Ferguson on the same plateau as Paisley.

What Paisley achieved in 9 short years it took Ferguson over two decades to surpass was remarkable. But the even greater thing for me, as Utd have found out post Ferguson, is the hardest thing in management is to follow an absolute legend. Bob not only did that in Shankly, but he took the team to even greater heights, rebuilding it twice. For it to take so long until Madrids 10 and Ancelotti winning his third European Cup to be still the only manager to match Paisley, who won 3 in 5 years, says it all.

Relax people, it's a list. Nothing factual, just a list.

Also, I think people forget just how good Jose has been, probably because of last season with Chelsea and his rebuilding of United. The man has won Champions League's with sides that you could argue, no other manager would. The man challenged Sir Alex Ferguson's PL dominance, and got the upper hand against him more times than not. The man has went to the most hostile of grounds and has numerously shut them up with his tactical approaches. To say he shouldn't be on this list, or that Louis Van Gaal is more worthy, in my opinion, is ridiculous. I'm not saying Van Gaal isn't worthy of being there, nor any of the other names mentioned, but what I'm saying Mourinho is one of the greatest managers in the history of the game. Whether you're a fan, or not.

There all greatest managers of all time, but Mou will fall in the 'debate for 10' than the 'dead cert' discussion end of the scale when whittling it down.

I think sometimes we have a bias for managers that have long stints at a club, have retired, or no longer with us. When he's retired, and we look back at his career, controversy aside, we'll appreciate how good has been.

Lists like these should not include currently active managers.

So we're 1-0 up against City (and it was a good goal) but some Everton fans are already saying it's going to be a win. They obviously haven't been paying attention to our form this season. And the last 7 games against City we've drawn 3 and lost 4. We also throw games we should be winning aswell.

It's absolutely non-sensical to say we're going to win when you have to hold back an incoming City onslaught with 45 minutes remaining.

So we're 1-0 up against City (and it was a good goal) but some Everton fans are already saying it's going to be a win. They obviously haven't been paying attention to our form this season. And the last 7 games against City we've drawn 3 and lost 4. We also throw games we should be winning aswell.

It's absolutely non-sensical to say we're going to win when you have to hold back an incoming City onslaught with 45 minutes remaining.

Spoken like a true long time fan, as a 30 years MCFC follower i understand this on so many levels :lol

Okay we've done Liverpool and Man Utd a rare favor. Time to see who takes full advantage of it and who screws up

I can't stop watching the Davies goal. It's so arousing lol

It was a good viewing weekend of EPL footy for a change. A lot of exciting stuff.

I think how the table sits now is how the season is going to finish except the two Manchester teams swapping position. If Chelsea can get the Costa situation sorted but it seems the team is with the manager.

Guardian sport– Verified account ‏@guardian_sport

yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAANAAwAAAILjI+py+0Po5y0ngIAOw==

Ex-Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal to retire for ‘family reasons’ [url]https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/16/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-retire?CMP=share_btn_tw …[/URL]

Fancy feeling old?? ;)

[video=youtube;gXK8mMLk_NE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXK8mMLk_NE[/video]

Back