The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
Sacked Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri has responded to his dismissal, saying: "Yesterday my dream died."

He released a statement a day after being fired with 13 games of the current season to go. Leicester are one point off the relegation zone. But last season Ranieri guided the Foxes to the Premier League title - undoubtedly one of the greatest football achievements ever.

Leicester had been 5,000-1 to win. Reacting to his dismissal, he said: "After the euphoria of last season and being crowned Premier League champions all I dreamt of was staying with Leicester City, the club I love, for always. Sadly, this was not to be."

Ranieri said he wanted to thank his wife Rosanna and his family "for their never-ending support during my time at Leicester". He continued: "Mostly, I have to thank Leicester City Football Club. The adventure was amazing and will live with me forever. Thank you to all the journalists and the media who came with us and enjoyed reporting on the greatest story in football. My heartfelt thanks to everybody at the club, all the players, the staff, everybody who was there and was part of what we achieved. But mostly to the supporters. You took me into your hearts from day one and loved me. I love you too. No one can ever take away what we together have achieved, and I hope you think about it and smile every day the way I always will. It was a time of wonderfulness and happiness that I will never forget. It's been a pleasure and an honour to be a champion with all of you."

Ranieri has reportedly told those close to him that he was genuinely shocked to be sacked. Many pundits and fellow managers have expressed their disappointment at the decision.

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho said: "I thought last season, when I was sacked as a champion, I thought it was a giant negative thing. Now I realise that it was peanuts compared with what happened to Claudio."
Meanwhile, League Managers Association boss Richard Bevan said the sacking "undermines the profession of coaching".

Sky Sports News Claudio Ranieri: Sacked Leicester City boss says his 'dream has died'

Classy as **** :(

He is such a nice and classy guy I would say he is pretty close to being universally liked by all fans and that doesnt happen too often. Would like to say I can't believe but sadly I can given the state of the game these days

Sacking is shocking, but in all fairness, Ranieri did a ****** job this year. Losing Kante is not an excuse, he had like 100m euro to invest in the squad.

It's easy to say club and players should stay loyal no matter what, but can you imagine if they go down with the champions, whole lot of them on fancy new contracts? That could put the whole club into the deepest pits of ****, as they'd have huge problem balancing the finances.

They were always going to struggle this season, but Ranieri should've done better.

Klopp on Ranieri's exit: "There have been a few strange decisions in 16/17 - Brexit, Trump and Ranieri."

Sacking is shocking, but in all fairness, Ranieri did a ****** job this year. Losing Kante is not an excuse, he had like 100m euro to invest in the squad.

It's easy to say club and players should stay loyal no matter what, but can you imagine if they go down with the champions, whole lot of them on fancy new contracts? That could put the whole club into the deepest pits of ****, as they'd have huge problem balancing the finances.

They were always going to struggle this season, but Ranieri should've done better.

How could he have predicted or prevented Huth and Morgan, who played like an in prime partnership of Vidic & Ferdinand last season, turn into a partnership of something like Titus Bramble pairing up with that Cygan dud that used to play for Arsenal?
What could he have done about how absolutely shocking Jamie Vardy has been this season? Drop him? Mahrez too?

Always easy to blame the manager, and sometimes he is at fault, but in my opinion, he takes very little if any fault at all in this situation. Maybe he could've been a little bit shrewder in recruiting, but that still doesn't explain how all of their performance levels have consistently dropped by like 70% man for man (which was clear in their body language and mannerism, Vardy doesn't chase half the things down as he used to, lacks the grit he had, they were literally our easiest league games this season), he trusted his championship winning side, and boy that was misplaced.

Last edited:
They lost their hunger once they won the league title in my opinion.
I've seen it happen in day to day life. A person works their *** off, gets promoted, throws on a suit and does as little as possible until they end up getting demoted or sacked.

Its terrible yes but i 100% agree with the decision to sack Ranieri. Last season what he helped them do was out of this world just something un-real but sentiment aside for one second they are in a real bad way right now. The Leicester board will run the club purely the way they should and that is as a business and if Leicester were to go down it could cripple them. They spent heavily in the summer on player purchases and increasing multiple player wages going down could hurt them hugely. Yes people may say "Ranieri deserved a chance to change it" well for me he was a manager out of ideas. How many times had he openly changed formation in the past 10-15 matches with no good result? Look the players deserve a massive amount of slack here too, they rested on what they achieved last season and that with so many other sides improving significantly they got caught out. As i Chelsea fan i'd love to say its purely because they lost Kante but its not as simple as just that, they need a change and it had to happen.

Love the way Chelsea fans are the only ones siding with Leicester, because of the Jose situation last season XD

Love the way Chelsea fans are the only ones siding with Leicester, because of the Jose situation last season XD

????

So whats your grand solution? Raineri has clearly lost the trust of his players and backroom staff. Results have been on a constant downward trend with no hope in sight. Raineri also partly assumes responsibility for the poor summer recruitment.

Yes players and managers are also at fault whenever results are bad. But its unfeasible to sack an entire playing squad and I doubt sacking the executives will do much. Only solution is to sack the manager even if he only is partly to blame. I see all this sanctimonious outrage from everyone at Raineri's sacking yet no one can provide a better solution.

Not at all, at the time i wanted Chelsea to sack players instead of Jose however seeing what we have now it was 100% the correct decision. As much as it may be players fault its far easier to sack 1 man than 5-10 players isn't it. Both would have made mistakes and he's clearly lost the dressing room and theirs no going back from that.

"Lost the trust of the players", that's my issue. Absolutely beyond pathetic. How are these people classified as men, never mind professionals? Little b****es. There's not too many things that make my blood literally boil in football, but this is one of those rare occasions.

If I was the owner, and say Jamie Vardy and 2-3 others came to me said it straight "we want the gaffer gone", I'd go through them for a shortcut. I'd name and shame them to the man who won them a premier league medal, let them rot in the reserves if they aren't on that pitch giving 101% for their manager, make an example of the rats, and play lads who actually want to be out there. If that meant playing Okazaki up top in Vardy's position, young Demarai Gray (who has looked the only man who wants to win for them when he's on the pitch) out wide instead of Mahrez even, etc... then so be it.

Rainieri's biggest fault was he put too much trust in snakes, who are bang average footballers thinking they're superstars, bigger than the manager, bigger than the club. You know when majority of the actual Leicester fans themselves are against it, then there's no prizes for guessing which party was hard done by. The ruthlessness and woeful timing of the sacking didn't help either. If he got smashed against Sevilla, fair enough, but for crying out loud he comes away with an away goal and bringing some feel good factor back to England going into Liverpool, and then shown the door. I'm ****** off even typing this. Sincerely hope they go down, although I can't see it, as watch the little b****es up their game.

Not at all, at the time i wanted Chelsea to sack players instead of Jose however seeing what we have now it was 100% the correct decision. As much as it may be players fault its far easier to sack 1 man than 5-10 players isn't it. Both would have made mistakes and he's clearly lost the dressing room and theirs no going back from that.

The situations are different though, Jose was hard done by, yes, but Chelsea were always going to be bounce back in the near future and challenge again. What Claudio done, NOBODY could do. And no matter what manager they get, they won't EVER get close to what Claudio done. He deserves a statue, a stand of the stadium named after him, any honour you can give. Not a ******* boot a day after taking an away goal back from Sevilla in a CL last 32 tie.

They should keep it and use it as their primary bus, as a "bus designed by our fans" :)

It appears Leicester are holding talks with Roy Hodgson..............

that has to be a very early april fool right

I thought so lol. I mean it's via the Daily Fail but the rumour is now spreading like wildfire. I have a feeling a lot of Leicester fans will be triggered by this story

I thought so lol. I mean it's via the Daily Fail but the rumour is now spreading like wildfire. I have a feeling a lot of Leicester fans will be triggered by this story
not just leicester fans i can think of 1 pool fan on this forum that might have something to say

not just leicester fans i can think of 1 pool fan on this forum that might have something to say

Was just on about that clueless, backward fraud last night listening to idiots on the radio calling for Klopp's head.

Like have you forgotten just HOW low we slumped under The Hodge? You should youtube his pre-Northampton Town press conference. League Two Northampton. At Anfield. It's EPIC! He talked them up to be the best side in the World. 'FORMIDABLE challenge this Northampton side!' I **** you not. Although to be fair, he was onto something as he managed to ******* lose to them! Losing 2-0 to Everton in 2010 (the last time we've lost a derby) in an absolutely abject, pitiful display to be told 'That was the best L'pool had played all year and how proud he was of the performance!' Completely dissing Kenny, KENNY, as 'an ambassador who pops in the Academy every now and then and does a bit of scouting. It's what he's best at!' Claiming it was natural for him to be battling relegation at L'pool as even 'Mourinho had said it was a tough task!' Signing 'the best LB in England ..... Paul ******* Konchesky!' And topping it with 'one of the best DM's in Europe.' Chnristian ******* Paulson!

Honestly, it got more cringeworthy every time he opened his deluded grid!

And the football was that mind numbingly sterile he made you envious of teams that had Pulis and Allardyce! All with a top class squad with the likes of Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres, Agger et all. He has them battling relegation. Kenny took over and suddenly it's back to brilliant attacking footie and storming up the league.

The man never ONCE visited the Academy in all his tenure. Manager of the club and not the least bit interested in what was coming through.

The single worst 191 day period in LFC's storied history.

The ONLY L'pool manager to never have his own song. And there's no fanbase that idolises our managers above anything else like we do. Tells you all you need to know.

And as if that wasn't bad enough, England then go hire the absolute beaut!

Yeah, another reason to hope Leicester go down!

Last edited:
Back