The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
Reading the Sky rundown of the current Leicester-West Brom game, Leicester have a 'keeper named Hamer. That's just wrong! You need to be a hard **** midfielder with a belter of a shot on you to carry that name!

He's conceded already to Jay Rodriguez. Who I didn't even realise had left Southampton. Learn something new every day.

Reading the Sky rundown of the current Leicester-West Brom game, Leicester have a 'keeper named Hamer. That's just wrong! You need to be a hard **** midfielder with a belter of a shot on you to carry that name!

He's conceded already to Jay Rodriguez. Who I didn't even realise had left Southampton. Learn something new every day.

The two local Hamers I know (father and son) are both hard **** goal keepers who are a bit mental!

The team that goes first has a 60% chance of winning as once it gets to a sudden death point in the shootout it is psychologically harder to score when trying to stay in the fame as opposed to when trying to win/go ahead

And then if that flips to the team going second they'll be shouts to reverse it back! Or some other pointless change.

The only people that ever complain about penalty shoot-outs are those that lose. Completely fair test of nerve and skill that everyone knows the rules/ stakes prior to a match/ tie. And just about the fairest way to ultimately end something. Still personally not heard any better or fairer idea put forward than straight penalties.

If it aint broke, don't fix it!

And then if that flips to the team going second they'll be shouts to reverse it back! Or some other pointless change.

The only people that ever complain about penalty shoot-outs are those that lose. Completely fair test of nerve and skill that everyone knows the rules/ stakes prior to a match/ tie. And just about the fairest way to ultimately end something. Still personally not heard any better or fairer idea put forward than straight penalties.

It splits the disadvantage of shooting to stay in between the two sides if it goes on. I would say that winning a coin toss giving you a 60% chance of winning showing that it could be fairer and this change should make it fairer

Maybe I'm biased as a field hockey player, but I like the shootouts we use, similar to ice hockey. You've got a clock with 8 seconds on it and a one vs one with the keeper. It's a better test of hockey ability than just penalty flicks, just as it would be a greater test of footballing ability from both the keeper and strikers than penalties. Seems a better way to decide the game than taking 120 mins of football and turning it into single kicks. The idea is to find the better footballing team, not the one best at penalties.

Also agree with Ninja that the ABBA format is more balanced, similar to a tiebreak in tennis - which also incidentally, tests the ability of the players in tennis, not in one aspect like serving until you do a fault or something. The ABBA doesn't get used in hockey but I'd welcome it if it was

I don't see much issue with the current system really but I have always liked the old American way of the player having a run with it haha

AS Roma English‏Verified account @ASRomaEN

Are we doing this right?
1f440.png
270d.png
#ASRoma
1f609.png

Click the tweet link, watch the Defrel announcement, I thought it was really good!

Be good seeing Chicharito again in PL, even if he did leave United with a bit of a sour taste.

I don't see much issue with the current system really but I have always liked the old American way of the player having a run with it haha

Yeah that version of shoot-out was the ****. Current format is bullshit, there are no saved pens, there are only poorly shot pens.

Back