The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
Like the look of Holding will be a very good player in a year or 2. This weekend defo got me excited for the new prem season!

I wonder if they'd of got Rudiger as cheap if it wasn't for the knees?

Seemed a bit of an injury discount on that one. Weird how after van Dijk turned them down they didn't persist on what was widely reported their next choice from Napoli. Maybe the opportunity for Rudiger just presented itself? Shrugs.

GET IN! Man off and 1-1.

If they were playing Real Madrid next, in any competition/format, the ban would somehow carry. UEFA would make sure of that :)

Martin Tyler seems to think straight reds carry over, bookings/ double bookings and red don't. So who knows?

Great. The messed around penalties.

Sod it. Less than a week from the season starting, I'm happy nottin' is likely to change significantly to not do the annual predictions.

Last years, FWIW: Myself #3557/ ninjaskill #3558/ MANUMAD (The bet avoider!) #3559/ morimech #3570/ epic terroist #3571/ PatrickLFC #3575/ Theatre of dreams #3580/ Subtle #3582/ Chelski Shogun #3585.

The overriding theme last year was people, myself included, giving Utd WAY too much credit (Everyone predicted they'd finish top 4. With 4 folks taking it further predicting they'd win it. Wonder how many will make that mistake again?); along with completely underestimating Liverpool. (Only 3 out of 9 of you had them finishing top 4.). Leicester also, completely baffling to me, got some mad love with 4 people having them down for a top 6 finish and another top 8.

Only MANUMAD and Subtle had Chelsea winning it so props to them.

At the other end of the scale, 7 out of 9 had Burnley dropping and another 5 Swansea joining them. Not too great at picking the relegated sides.

So onto 2017/18:

As last year, I'll preface this by saying ANYONE that finishes in the top 4, let alone wins the league, will have totally earned it and had a marvellous season. With the similar quality level of the top 6 sides now it's as hard as it's ever been the PL era to secure one of those spots and you could make a strong, valid case for each to finish the CL slots. And could switch your predictions around a multitude of ways and not be far out.

But as we do need an order for this, here's my 2017/18 Premier League Predictions:

CL/ EL places-

1) City
-----------------------------
2) Liverpool
3) Arsenal
4) Utd
5) Chelsea

As the League Cup/ FA Cup Winners are invariably a team that finishes in the European places, for the sake of those places then going to the PL-

6) Tottenham
7) Everton

And the relegation slots-

------------------------------
18) Huddersfield/ Watford Tied on that as I have a nagging feeling Watford will drop. And Wagner will motivate Town just enough to stop up.
19) Brighton
20) Burnley

Underachiever of the season:

I would go with Chelsea dropping from, albeit surprise, Champions to missing out on the CL entirely. I just don't see the same amount of good fortune to go along with a threadbare squad as I type.

But it'd probably make more waves if Manchester United finish as short as I feel. For all the money spent, a title challenge at the least needs to happen given the weight of expectation that comes with that. And I see them a ways short of City so I can't see that happening.

Overachiever of the season:

Newcastle United. No relegation fight this time for the Geordies as they comfortably re-establish themselves under a top manager for the first time. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them pushing top 10. If not ending up in it. Which would a marvellous return to the top flight.

Last edited:
CL/EL-

City
Utd
Pool
Chelsea

Arsenal

Decided for City purely on fire power. But think Utd could easily win it with a better balanced squad and defence and Mourinho 1st/2nd season wining syndrome :)

RELEGATION-

Huddlesfield
Brighton
Burnley

UNDER ACHIEVER-

Chelsea. Think they have weakened in key areas, while strengthens a rival. All doesn't seem well in Conteland.

OVER ACHIVER-

Saints. Could see them making a sneaky challenge for EL places

Last edited:
1st - United
2nd - City
3rd - Spurs
4th - Arsenal
5th - Chelsea
6th - Liverpool

- Probably heart over head but I really don't think United too far off winning it last year, architects of their own downfall. Pogba shuffled around numerous roles, given too much defensive responsibility along with a couple of the other game-changers which I expect to be lessened this season with Matic.

- City to push all the way.

- Can see Spurs being knocked out first in Europe, and have a strongish finish on a week-to-week schedule with Kane scoring crazily. I appreciate it'll take getting used to playing at Wembley, but I think that it can be an advantage to their pacey/high tensity approach. Liverpool and City be licking their lips for away games though.

- 3 at the back seems to have somewhat rejuvenated Arsenal, making them more solid. Expect Xhaka be better in the middle this season, and Laca to add more goals with Sanchez. Only worry is EL, I think they'll scrape top 4 though.

- I think the world of Morata, and have no doubt he will come good and be a great signing, but should it take him time to find his feet in the Prem, then Costa's crucial and frequent goals could be a big miss. Also think teams will know how to play against Conte's system more effectively this season.

- If Liverpool get through to the CL groups, and qualify from it to go on a run, I expect them to struggle to juggle it all with that relatively skinny squad. I think Liverpool will either have a cracking campaign or a shocking one, no in between. And on the basis of me thinking they could go on a decent European run, I'll opt for the latter.

Overachiever - Watford.
Eager to see how Marco Silva does with a full pre-season behind him with time to evaluate his players/sign a few. He certainly matched up to his pedigree and almost performed a Houdini with Hull last season. Would like to see them sign a #9 perhaps, but still think he can guide them to a top 12 finish playing attractive football... especially if he stamps down his trademark home records at Vicarage Road.

Underachiever - Liverpool.
A little bit unfair to describe one of the top 6 to not get top 4 as underachieving, but that's how it is now. Liverpool fans expect a title rattle, with top 4 a minimum, I fancy them to get neither if they last in Europe, history tells you they struggle.

1 - City
2 - Chelsea
3 - United
4 - Tottenham

5 - Liverpool
6 - Arsenal
7 - Southampton

18. Swansea
19. Burnley
20. Brighton

City are the team to beat for me, they'll have games they lose where Pep and his methods cop it from the press but I think they'll finish on top, possibly quite comfortably. Chelsea and United shouldn't be too far off, I think United should be more stable than last year but Chelsea could get off to a slow start if they're not careful, a lot could depend on getting another midfielder in before deadline day. Spurs I think will start slowly but once they get used to Wembley it's not hard to see Kane, Eriksen and Alli winning them plenty of points.

Liverpool I fear will suffer from the added games the CL brings, I'm not as convinced as Scouse that Van Dijk is a certainty - in fact I'd be surprised if we got him - and the squad is already looking thin thanks to injuries. On our day can beat anyone but we need 38 of them. Arsenal I feel could go off the rails at any point, the fans are even more volatile than ever and as soon as something goes wrong there could be the usual circus meltdown. In saying that, a bright start could encourage Sanchez and Ozil to renew, and that would be a **** of a lift with Lacazette in tandem.

Southampton, Everton or Leicester for 7th, could be any.

I think Burnley and Swans will suffer from losing key players - banking on Everton caving and paying 50m for Gylfi - and could struggle. I think Watford will be fine under Silva, Wagner and Benitez can probably keep Huddersfield and Newcastle up but I think Brighton will go back down.

Underachiever: West Ham - seem to have made some good signings but I'm not sure there's a coherent plan to any of their business

Overachiever: Leicester - I think they should be pushing top half having been released from the pressure and extra games of last season

L/ EL places-

1) City
2) Tottenham
3) United
4) Chelsea
5) Liverpool

-----------

6) Arsenal
7) Everton

And the relegation slots-

------------------------------
18) Huddersfield
19) Brighton
20) Burnley

Underachiever of the season:

Think Chelsea will struggle with added European games and losing Costa who is a big presence up top.

Overachiever of the season:

Newcastle United, same as scouse. Good manager and the fans will be behind them. Think they could finish upper/mid in their first season

1) Liverpool
2) City
3) Arsenal
4) United
5) Spurs
6) Chelsea
7) Southampton
8) Everton
9) Leicester
10) Brighton
11) West Ham
12) Bournemouth