The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
Only problem I see is putting a universal date for whole of Europe. All competitions start at a different date and you want to close the window as late as possible, but still before the competition starts.

A very, very bad move imo. Doing late business is the wrong way to go about things don't get me wrong, but sometimes you need that extended period of time to get a player in.

Plus this whole idea about making our window shorter whilst all the other European transfer windows of note will be longer, is just terrible for business. It's going to be one-sided from the start of negotiations.

I'm shocked Arsenal didn't vote against it.

Disappointing. To say the least.

A very, very bad move imo. Doing late business is the wrong way to go about things don't get me wrong, but sometimes you need that extended period of time to get a player in.

Plus this whole idea about making our window shorter whilst all the other European transfer windows of note will be longer, is just terrible for business. It's going to be one-sided from the start of negotiations.

I'm shocked Arsenal didn't vote against it.
Dont see why you need extended time to get a player in. If you identify a player you want early enough it's shouldn't be a problem. Just need to start negotiations earlier. Why one sided ?

Dont see why you need extended time to get a player in. If you identify a player you want early enough it's shouldn't be a problem. Just need to start negotiations earlier. Why one sided ?

When your dealing late in this window with a foreign club.... they will know English clubs are desperate whilst every other rival club from overseas will have more time in a market when the English window shuts.

1)Just a few scenarios, Neymar moves to PSG but window closed in England means players available from PSG are not available to English teams. Well done geniuses.
2)Real sign Mbappe and willing to sell Bale...oh shoot no English team can get him so only Bayern are in the market for him.
3)Aurier's case is thrown out but English window closed so he ends up at AC
4)United and Monaco interested in Perisic, he wastes time on a decision and United can't sign him after window closed, price drops for Monaco to sign him.

---

Hypothetical but more pressure on English clubs = Going to be even more inflated market.

Stupid idea, is stupid, unless you get all European leagues following. They should all open and close at same time.

That's what i said before, but ToD focused on parts of my post. Missing biggest issue i have with this.
Don't share your opinion on this. It's a bad decision IMO. Especially since your clubs still can sell to other markets after window closes. Even more, if there are releases clauses involved.
God forbid but what if some player break his leg, or suffer any other long term injury? And with less time to get your deals complete, clubs will milk you for your money even more now. You can't afford now to wait and drags deals out. You'll have to sell for less and buy for more if you want to get your teams completed before august. In my country, we have a saying, and equivalent on english would be: Quickly doing things results in poor ending.
Just my two cents...
And that will just pump player prices even more. Crazy market will get much, much more crazier.

That's what i said before, but ToD focused on parts of my post. Missing biggest issue i have with this.

And that will just pump player prices even more. Crazy market will get much, much more crazier.

True.... plus we see when there is international tournament, a lot of players leave it until after. So next year is world cup.... good luck English clubs.

Clubs and the market will adjust. The same as it did with the panic after Bosman. The same as it did the panic when windows came in. But hey, less crazy deals? Sound. Never a bad thing.

And z, on every other Country coming into line ..... It had to start somewhere and no European Country would have taken this step so the 16 clubs that took a stand need applauding for standing up and starting to bring about change IMHO rather than being slated.

Clubs and the market will adjust. The same as it did with the panic after Bosman. The same as it did the panic when windows came in. But hey, less crazy deals? Sound. Never a bad thing.

And z, on every other Country coming into line ..... It had to start somewhere and no European Country would have taken this step so the 16 clubs that took a stand need applauding for standing up and starting to bring about change IMHO rather than being slated.
Exactly. Has always been change in football and transfer windows are no different. Clubs will just need to adjust. Think more leagues will follow suit as well. Already a few round Europe keen!

All clubs will want to get there buisness done early. There's no use in clubs trying to drag a deal out with an English club to get more money. Because it will just leave them less time to get a replacement in also, and prices will get just as hyped for them to bring one in because all clubs will know there desperate late on. Just gonna take some adjustment time.

Last edited:

If it's the catalyst for all major European leagues to follow then great. But if not and we're left in an uneven playing field competing for transfers, it's just going to be a mess honestly.

Plus if foreign clubs see they now have an advantage... I'd imagine not many will be wanting a shorter window.

Like world cup next year... players usually move after... it's already limited time. Even moreso now for English clubs.

Again, I'll be shocked if there's not an agreement in place that we don't sell after our deadline has passed. It'd be fool hardy not to have that and I'm sure it'll be on the table as this all gets ratified over the season in time for next summer.

Again, I'll be shocked if there's not an agreement in place that we don't sell after our deadline has passed. It'd be fool hardy not to have that and I'm sure it'll be on the table as this all gets ratified over the season in time for next summer.
Don't think that will happen the agreement not selling. But the club can just simply refuse anyways. Will be intersting to see more of what comes out news wise after the decision.

Five clubs — Manchester United, Manchester City, Crystal Palace, Swansea and Watford — voted against, while Burnley abstained.

As the romans used to say: Acta, non verba.

Very high brow for these here parts.

But bang on.

Btw, just to clear things up, I didn't claim Jose is duplicitous, but rather that I don't think he really tried to force his view on the transfer window on the board, just stated his opinion for the sake of saying something.

Odd that Swansea voted against it, clement complained about it the most out of all managers this year

Back