The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
You can't use that logic to say Victor was a bad signing though, if that's the case, Mkhitaryan was too. Only time will tell.

We chose to sign Lukaku for a fee we refused to raise to for Morata, the ball was in our court. It wasn't as if Morata didn't want to come, or Madrid wouldn't sell to us - they just wanted more than we felt he was worth. Forced them into selling Morata for less than they felt he was worth, so joke was on them. Also suggests Lukaku was very much an equal alternative if Jose was willing to abandon Morata and pay extra for Rom. Also, if you look back early doors, I was one of the few United fans on here that was always happy to sign Lukaku.

Matic was 2nd choice DM, I agree - but surely it's not lucky if he was always a target? It's not as if we never considered him/had him shortlisted and Chelsea just called us one day and said "hey you want Nemanja?" - We made him want to come, just like you say Klopp does for every target you're linked with. I'm also sure as **** glad we signed the Serb instead of Dier. Just say worst case scenario, it went pear shaped, we always had Fabinho to fall back on as 3rd choice, who didn't move anywhere but like everyone, has a price.

You're picking your signings apart and I'm not debating whether it was a good or bad window.

I'm saying Utd struggled to get signings over the line like every club has. Apart from City who just don't care about paying well over the odds to secure a deal.

Been the theme of the window. When £75 million doesn't get you a 20-year old it say's it all.

Exactly Scouse the only clubs that landed their targets were the likes of City and PSG. I mean we were interested in Mendy but 52million for a LB who is essentially an auxilary winger. PSG just payed 100 mill plus for an 18 yr old ffs.

EPL clubs really have to work together to ensure they do not overpay for players. Once you start to do so, foreign clubs will start to gouge us everytime. Explains the massive penny pinching that was ongoing at United, Chelsea and Liverpool. Only City were fine with getting taken for a ride each time.

Confirmed. It will end at 5pm on the Thursday before the season starts.

DJH8vjbXgAEW98f.jpg

I think it's a good decision, but very dangerous to insert release clauses now, since teams from other leagues can leave you struggling to put up a team starting September.

Remember this?

[video=youtube;_Zi_uCcfA8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zi_uCcfA8s[/video]

Fun interview with Boruc just came out. He says before that game he had an offer on the table from a top 4 PL club and some high level people from that club were on the stadium watching. 15 seconds in and he concedes a goal from another goalkeeper.

I think it's a good decision, but very dangerous to insert release clauses now, since teams from other leagues can leave you struggling to put up a team starting September.
Dont think English teams have them do they? I agree though good decision imo.

Dont think English teams have them do they? I agree though good decision imo.

From an article I read:

Only a few Premier League transfers have been reported to have included release clauses. This was the case with the Demba Ba transfer from Newcastle to Chelsea and Joe Allen from Swansea to Liverpool In the case of Allen, reports were that the bid could only trigger the release clause if it came from one of five clubs that included Liverpool.

I would imagine the English clubs will say they'll be no sales either after the deadline.

Hopefully the rest of Europe falls into line but we needed to lead the way or else nothing would of happened.

Thy need to be the front runners to pull Europe out of Quatar now too. See where yer bolloclks winter WC is without the major European players!

I would imagine the English clubs will say they'll be no sales either after the deadline.

Hopefully the rest of Europe falls into line but we needed to lead the way or else nothing would of happened.

Thy need to be the front runners to pull Europe out of Quatar now too. See where yer bolloclks winter WC is without the major European players!
Read an article today. Juve and a few teams in Italy are keen. Also most tops clubs in Germany. Spain not keen.

Don't share your opinion on this. It's a bad decision IMO. Especially since your clubs still can sell to other markets after window closes. Even more, if there are releases clauses involved.
God forbid but what if some player break his leg, or suffer any other long term injury? And with less time to get your deals complete, clubs will milk you for your money even more now. You can't afford now to wait and drags deals out. You'll have to sell for less and buy for more if you want to get your teams completed before august. In my country, we have a saying, and equivalent on english would be: Quickly doing things results in poor ending.
Just my two cents...

Don't share your opinion on this. It's a bad decision IMO. Especially since your clubs still can sell to other markets after window closes. Even more, if there are releases clauses involved.
God forbid but what if some player break his leg, or suffer any other long term injury? And with less time to get your deals complete, clubs will milk you for your money even more now. You can't afford now to wait and drags deals out. You'll have to sell for less and buy for more if you want to get your teams completed before august. In my country, we have a saying, and equivalent on english would be: Quickly doing things results in poor ending.
Just my two cents...
Dont insert the release clause then. And you don't have to sell your players. Don't get the injury argument either.

If a club suffers injuries and cannot sign replacements due to the window being closed then they should be looking at their reserve team and youth academy after all,what is the point of having them if nobody is prepared to give them a chance?

If a club suffers injuries and cannot sign replacements due to the window being closed then they should be looking at their reserve team and youth academy after all,what is the point of having them if nobody is prepared to give them a chance?
Its not like injuries can't happen after the window closes. What ya gonna do got to the FA after the window is closed and beg for a special injury transfer window to replace the player lol. Squads should be big enough to fill for an injury. Or like you said delve into the academy.

yes i agree if you go into the season and are left short because of injury then you havent done your squad planning thoroughly enough and that shouldnt happen at this level

Back