The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
This might come out as a negative comment, but Pep should mind his own business, and stop giving tactical advice to opposing players. If you have something to say, do it at the press conference.

Sorry, but this is ridiculous.... if Mourinho done what Pep did at the end of a game to one of your players... giving him passionate encouragement at the end of a game you've just lost in the last minute...... you'd be calling Mourinho class for doing it right?

It's double standards, if it was a less liked manager such as Mourinho you'd be slaughtering him. Lets admit it..... Alc.

I don't even know what's 'class' about what Pep done? Someone enlighten me.

Giving encourage to an opposition player and saying he should attack more... when you've just lost a game in the feckin last minute!

It undermines the opposition manager and honestly... why do it literally straight after the final whistle? Could of picked any other moment. In a press conference, in the tunnel or whatever.

Just unncessary for me.

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has been asked to explain his animated post-match discussion with Southampton's Nathan Redmond by the Football Association.

Think the press is making something of this now.... wait till the Jan bid goes in, as the Mendy replacement :p lol

Sorry, but this is ridiculous.... if Mourinho done what Pep did at the end of a game to one of your players... giving him passionate encouragement at the end of a game you've just lost in the last minute...... you'd be calling Mourinho class for doing it right?

It's double standards, if it was a less liked manager such as Mourinho you'd be slaughtering him. Lets admit it..... Alc.

Not at all. I don't like Pep much but you rarely see a manager praise opposition players in such a passionate way. Its almost as if Pep was disappointed that Redmond did not play better because he thinks so highly of him. Even Redmond had no qualms about it. No reason for people to start making issues out of things that aren't there.

Holy **** Spurs!!!
Need to get the finger out.

DEFO watching MOTD for once tonight.

Probably one of the worst days in PL officiating across the board along with some absolutely cracking action.

You Philadelphia asshats need to pull your heads out and invest in this team! That NBA **** is not going to fly in the PL. Yea we got a point and are no longer at that bottom. Let's assure we stay in the PL and get a proper manager and players for the future.

Seeing the way Marco Silva destroyed Big Sam in the presser reminds me of Mourinho 1.0 and why the media and Chelsea fans fell in love with him.

Rog: I need to ask you this: did a Clattenburg refereed game have a personality, if so, what were its traits?

Clats: There's one game in particular, which was the "Battle of Stamford Bridge." It was Chelsea vs. Tottenham, if was the famous that year Leicester win the title, it was theater. I went in with a gameplan that I didn't want Tottenham Hotspur blaming Mark Clattenburg that they were gonna lose the title. It should've been 3 red cards to Tottenham; I allowed them to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went, "Tottenham lost the title." If I sent 3 players off from Tottenham, what's the headlines? "Clattenburg lost Tottenham the title," and it was pure theater that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester win the title.

Rog: In that game, were the Chelsea players not screaming ****** murder, they're like, "Clattenburg what are you doing we're getting massacred here!"

Clats: It was the first game where Diego Costa never got cautioned (laughs). It was so crazy when you look back at the game but, when Hazard scored to equalize to make it 2-2 I've never felt an atmosphere in a stadium before like that before, because of Chelsea had stopped one of the enemies winning the title.

Rog: In a way you scripted it.

Clats: ...I helped the game, I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing. Some referees would have played by the book and Tottenham would have been down to 7 or 8 players and probably lost, and Tottenham would've been looking for an excuse but I didn't give them an excuse, because me gameplan was let them lose the title.

Rog: Listening to this, I was like, "Wow, Mark Clattenburg, even crazier than Diego Costa" (Clats laughs) that is saying something, but you've said, "I want games to be a spectacle," and hearing you talk about the Battle of Stamford Bridge, is that the referee's job or is it really down to the players?

Clats: I think we're all part of theater. That's why the Premier League is the best league in the world. Its assisted by the best players, the best referees, the best coaches, and we've all got a duty to make sure the game's enhanced. The English style of refereeing is different; I had to referee differently when I went into Europe than I did in the Premier League because none of the top players in Europe would accept some of the physical contact that went on in the Premier League - but that was the theater, that's what people loved. They love a tackle, they don't want it punished.

Rog: You pride yourself on man-management, its a phrase that comes up in conversation with you over and over, talking to the players rather than cautioning them, as you've said, you occasionally famously called them "mate" on the field. How do the players react to that? Do they really want to reciprocate and get on with the referee?

Clats: Gotta know the right time, that what's experience. Some young referees will try to speak to players too much and players sometimes don't want them to speak. I remember refereeing Ashley Cole. Speaking to Ashley Cole at the wrong time when he was going through things with his head (garbled) doing some tactics. But there were good times to speak to Ashley Cole, when he was calm and he was ready to get on with. Speaking to the player at the wrong time can have a bad effect.

What a ****.

So he has basically admitted him not getting the blame for spurs not winning that game was more important to him than actually doing his job properly. ******

There's something seriously flawed with the EFL (Checkatrade) Trophy when Chelsea can exploit it and play a 24-year-old, £32 million Belgium. (Presumably, other PL have done similar? Just stood out seeing Batshuayi's name among the goalscorers last night at MKD.).

The knock-out cup for League One/ League Two sides, the whole idea of inviting PL U-23 teams in was to aid the development of young English talent and give them somewhat 'competitive' football.

Completely defeats the object of not only the whole lower league competition but why they invited PL U-23's in to start with. (Which is inherently wrong but that's a whole other topic.).

There's something seriously flawed with the EFL (Checkatrade) Trophy when Chelsea can exploit it and play a 24-year-old, £32 million Belgium.

Nobody exploited anything. A paragraph from the age restrictions regarding U23 teams:

• Each team can field a goalkeeper over the age limit and up to three ‘over-age’ outfield players in every match.

Nobody exploited anything. A paragraph from the age restrictions regarding U23 teams:
  • Each team can field a goalkeeper over the age limit and up to three ‘over-age’ outfield players in every match.

I know what the rules are.

If you'd of read my post, the point was the whole spirit and idea of the competition is being exploited within those in a seriously flawed concept from the Football League.

If you'd of read my post, the point was the whole spirit and idea of the competition is being exploited within those in a seriously flawed concept from the Football League.

Can u say that no Pool player over age of 23 has been used in your u-23 squad, or specificly in this EFL (Checkatrade) Trophy?

Can u say that no Pool player over age of 23 has been used in your u-23 squad, or specificly in this EFL (Checkatrade) Trophy?

Can you at least check what teams enter the League One/ League Two competition before you waste your time asking?

I did get your point, and I agree with it, but the club operated with the bounds of the rules. There is nothing dubious about it, no matter how much it contradicts the term Under 23. I am also of the belief that it should be for the players that fit into that age restriction, and nothing more. If you have problems with injuries, you can always call up younger players.

Back