The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
People going crazy about pointless thing, much more serious stuff goes down for fuuu sake.
Need to have some sense of humor, yeah the black was over the top a bit, but still no thing to lose your mind over.
Ohh today's society..

People going crazy about pointless thing, much more serious stuff goes down for fuuu sake.
Need to have some sense of humor, yeah the black was over the top a bit, but still no thing to lose your mind over.
Ohh today's society..
Its idiotic!

In the United States, blackface was used as part of Minstrel Shows, which is basically a comedy show where the only joke was basically "Wow, black people sure are stupid!" As you can imagine, incredibly fecking offensive. Blackface was also used on stage or screen so that a show could have black characters, without having to actually, you know, hire black people. The white actors would then usually play up negative black stereotypes in the process.

So there is a lot of history of blackface being used as a method of mocking black people. But, hey, that's just history. Why would it be offensive today?

Your point that you wouldn't be offended by a black person in "whiteface", or that it is the same as wearing a red wig, is what we might call 'false equivalency'; within a larger cultural context, it isn't the same thing. There are several reasons for this.

The first and most straightforward is that the mentality of the ministrel show hasn't disappeared. A lot of people who wear blackface in their costumes for Halloween or whatever use it as an excuse to make fun of black people, so people are wary of it. But that doesn't make in intrinsicallyracist, right?

Well, no, nothing is "intrinsically" anything when talking about race, because race isn't skin deep. You appear to believe in a sort of colourblind mentality towards race, in that it doesn't matter at all what race you are. Well, race is kind of an absurd concept (see below the break) because humans pretty much just made it up, but humans also just sort of made up things like governments, laws and economies, which are also important and "real" things. So let's talk about race. Really talk about it.

To many people, especially people of colour, race matters. It can matter in a lot of negative ways, manifesting in poor treatment, harassment, or simply the circumstances into which they were born, statistically. It can also matter in many positive or affirmative ways; concepts like "Black culture" or "Black pride" exist as a counterpoint, a way for Black people to take pride in themselves and their experiences, and to explore concepts that dominate culture, white culture, doesn't have experience with that many Black people do. Serious stuff, like mistreatment by the police and justice system, or basic stuff, like hair. Hair! Bet that's something you've never thought about at length (lol) but it's a pretty important issue for Black folks in America.

To white folks like us, this often doesn't make a lot of sense; we were taught as kids that race doesn't matter. But it's very easy to say that something that rarely seems to affect us doesn't matter; our race as white people is seen by society as default, our experiences as normal. Our stories get to be the ones that get retold and remembered, and we retell and remember them quite frequently. It's like saying it doesn't matter who wins or loses, after collecting the trophy and the prize money.

So something like whiteface doesn't affect us; it's just skin tone, after all. It's also why, as Americans who are very disconnected, often by generations, from our European ancestors, we often don't give a **** about those stereotypes either. I don't give a **** when people make Scottish jokes, and I wouldn't give a **** if people made Czech jokes, if those were jokes people over here made. It's not all that important to me.

If you are a person of colour in America, it is impossible not to notice race. Even if you've never been subject to malicious racism, you know that you are perceived as an outsider to the dominant culture. Even if you didn't want to care about race, race has been made important for you, personally. You've experienced a lot of **** you know is basically invisible to white people because of "just" your skin tone.

So when some white guy rolls along in blackface, or using black slang or trying to use the n-word positively or neutrally, it rings hollow. It's a mockery, somebody who thinks that all you need to emulate this giant, deeply personal and nuanced concept of Blackness is some shoe polish.

That's what's offensive
Read the bold part and then say its not offensive. I dont think Griezzman is a racist, im betting hes probably ignorant to the issue

Ohh today's society..

You know how it is...

[video=youtube;SA0aKjY8K50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA0aKjY8K50[/video]

I see a man going to a party dressed up as an NBA player. People with some sort of issue see a footballer mocking black people with his blackface.

Well of course he's ignorant on the issue, he's a French national living in Spain. Trying to explain his actions using context that only makes sense on another side of the planet is just pointless. I have never heard about some Minstrel Shows in America and I'm sure neither has Griezmann.

I don't see how it even relates to his actions, it's just silly Americans as usual thinking their culture automatically applies to the entire planet. If anything I find it incredibly racist, but towards Griezmann, because he's being hounded and unfairly judged by standards that do not even apply to him.

This is incredibly stupid.

Reminds me of that dude on social media who was insisting that I have some white privilege. I'm like, bud, I live in Poland, it's a 99,999% white population. If I have some social advantage as a white person, where I live so does everybody else, because everybody is also white. If everybody has something it's no longer an advantage, so the whole thing stops making any sense whatsoever.

Funnily enough, last year here we had this leftist journalist who painted himself black and walked on the street and tried to bait people into racist behavior. Clearly he didn't know that he was actually being a hardcore racist because of some minstrel shows that happened in another country 2000 miles away, 50 years ago.

Sigh.

Last edited:
Players found guilty of the new offence of “successful deception of a match official” will face retrospective two-match suspensions from the start of this season, as part of a Football Association crackdown on diving that authorities hope will prove a deterrent that finally begins to force it out of the game.

The authorities will thereby seek to punish incidents that involve clear and overwhelming evidence of simulation, and that had significant consequence on the outcome of a match. It is thereby seen as worthy of a greater punishment than a player actually getting caught by the referee in a match, since the former is successful and the second is attempted.

So, if a player is believed to have dived to win a penalty or get an opposition player sent off, that will go to review that could well see a two-game ban.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...tive-two-match-suspensions-bans-a7870011.html

I think he just deliberately tries to be controversial. English Eamon Dunphy

It's funny how blackface isn't a big deal to people aren't black. Make no mistake, it's seriously ******* offensive to most black people. I don't think people get to tell us to chill out over it.

It's funny how blackface isn't a big deal to people aren't black. Make no mistake, it's seriously ******* offensive to most black people. I don't think people get to tell us to chill out over it.

I'm glad I'm not alone here. I was beginning to question to question myself at being appalled by not only what Greizmann did, but by responses both here and elsewhere. This is 2017 right?

I've been pretty staggered by some of the flippant responses TBH but didn't want to get into a race argument.

Is it 'tetchy' time of the year for the Liverpool fans?
Like clockwork when they realise this is not their year (again).

Have a good Christmas lads. :)

Be shocked if Kane doesn't smash Shearer's record.

Southampton are utter garbage and headed one way under Pellegrino.

*Edit* There yer go. Have that Shearer. That didn't take long. Shocking defending from this woeful Southampton team. Kane unmarked, 2 yards out, for a free header tap in from a free-kick? Deary me.

Last edited:
Like I said, if he was foreign he'd be at Madrid by now. This has to be his last season at Spurs, SURELY. Don't be a loyalty merchant Kane, have as much ambition as possible

Like I said, if he was foreign he'd be at Madrid by now. This has to be his last season at Spurs, SURELY. Don't be a loyalty merchant Kane, have as much ambition as possible
If Spurs don't win something this season the lure of Europe may just be too much. I can't see Spurs sell in to an English Club unless they throw shed loads of money at them, Levy is well known for getting every last penny out of a deal to league rivals.

Kane first player to outscore Messi and Ronaldo over a calendar year since Villa and Dzeko did it in 2009

Behind Pep and Dyche, Hodgson has been the top 3 managers this season. What a job he's doing.

Back