The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
It's the same squad that just won 2 European Cups back to back, a feat last accomplished by Sacchi's Milan which plenty of people consider the most dominating side to ever play the game.

The idea that they need complete overhaul is rather far-fetched. It's more of a question whether Zidane really knows what he is doing, or whether he's the luckiest person alive, because I was never convinced which is the case even back when they were winning things.

First year he basically did nothing beyond aping Rafa's lineup, tactics and formation, and lucked to the CL final on the back of some of the easiest knockout phases ever seen, and barely crawled past Athletico in the final. Last year they weren't any better at first until he accidently stumbled on a better lineup when Bale got injured and got replaced with Isco.

That's hardly a convincing record even if by pure trophy count he's already one of the best managers of the modern era.

Last edited:
It's the same squad that just won 2 European Cups back to back, a feat last accomplished by Sacchi's Milan which plenty of people consider the most dominating side to ever play the game.

The idea that they need complete overhaul is rather far-fetched. It's more of a question whether Zidane really knows what he is doing, or whether he's the luckiest person alive, because I was never convinced which is the case even back when they were winning things.

First year he basically did nothing beyond aping Rafa's lineup, tactics and formation, and lucked to the CL final on the back of some of the easiest knockout phases ever seen, and barely crawled past Athletico in the final. Last year they weren't any better at first until he accidently stumbled on a better lineup when Bale got injured and got replaced with Isco.

That's hardly a convincing record even if by pure trophy count he's already one of the best managers of the modern era.
Defo agree that Zidane tactics or lack of are questionable and looks a bit lost right now. But there’s no denying Benzema is past his best which is seriously hurting Ronaldo. Who is still quality but hasn’t been the same since his last injury’s. Bale always injured. Marcelo has been terrible at the back.

Madrid will doubtless come alive come the knock-outs the CL next month and step up to another level.

Still the team to topple for anyone wanting to be victorious in Kiev for me.

Madrid will doubtless come alive come the knock-outs the CL next month and step up to another level.

Still the team to topple for anyone wanting to be victorious in Kiev for me.
Who would of thought it. Madrid possibly not making top 4 :O agree about the CL. But there gonna have to seriously pick it up and turn it on!

One of Madrid's biggest issue this season was losing their ridiculously strong back up's and simply not replacing that level (obviously, who could?). James, Morata etc. - the bench/depth has weakened, as will a bit of the competitive feel to it.

Ronaldo going down hill pretty rapidly, he's virtually only about putting it in the onion bag these days. Sad to see one of the best ever approaching the home-straight.

Agree about Rafa being a bit unlucky, Zidane just has the superstar status to keep those galacticos in line, Rafa's just that fat waiter from Toy Story in their eyes.

Ronaldo going down hill pretty rapidly, he's virtually only about putting it in the onion bag these days. Sad to see one of the best ever approaching the home-straight.

If there's one thing I learned about Ronaldo is to never underestimate his ability to reinvent himself. He went from classic winger to a roaming inside forward and these days he basically plays almost as a striker, who knows what's to come. I wouldn't be surprised if he transitions to sort of RVN type of character who just puts up a tent in the box without participating in the buildup, and scores shitload of goals while entire team is feeding him passes.

I mean he has lost most of his pace and I haven't seen him beat a player in years, but his ability to find space, finish with both feet and winning headers is still second to none.

Last edited:
No doubt he will always find ways to be effective in the midst of his decline, but it's a sad sight to see his latest inability to beat a man when he was beating 3-4 in one go on a regular basis 10 years ago.

No doubt he will always find ways to be effective in the midst of his decline, but it's a sad sight to see his latest inability to beat a man when he was beating 3-4 in one go on a regular basis 10 years ago.
Its not just Ronaldo even thought he is not the player he was. Benzema is terrible this season who was the perfect partner for Ronnie. Was so unselfish running the channels making space for Ronnie and laying on assists. Now he’s just a shadow of that player no link up play no hold up play nothing.

Yeah but that's what I'm saying though. People have been saying Ronaldo is finished ever since he started having trouble dribbling past people, which is what, 3-4 years? He just doesn't have the acceleration and the ability make rapid turns anymore. I clearly remember some pundit in the media yapping about inevitable decline that's about to come.

And then in the next 4 years he went on and took home 3 x Ballon d'Or. He definitely isn't what he was, but despite the fact that his personality always weirds me out as ****, he seems like intelligent bloke who can find a way to work around his limitations once more.

Here's hoping.

Benzema's form doesn't have him in trouble; no Morata = no heat.

Benzema's form doesn't have him in trouble; no Morata = no heat.
That will play apart no doubt. But his form is beyond terrible. Even at the back end of last season on the league. Be hard to find a player to replace him tbh.

That stat right there sums up the exceptionally limited Sean Dyche.

Burnley haven't won in 48 games they've gone behind in. One way of playing. And when someone affects that by going up on them, he can't change and adapt.

Talking of exceptionally limited, one way of playing bang average managers:

OptaJoeVerified account @OptaJoeFollowFollow
@OptaJoe​

More

4 - This result was Sam Allardyce’s 19th defeat by four or more goals in the Premier League; the most of any manager in the competition. Trounced.

"Zidane believes in this group unconditionally, like Hitler believed in the Luftwaffe" - class journalism from MARCA.

Back