The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
The Premier League is considering introducing a winter break when a television rights deal is next agreed.

The top leagues in Germany, France, Italy and Spain all take time out in mid-season.

The Football Association has previously said a winter break is not feasible until the end of the current television deal in 2019.

Talks have been ongoing for several months and are understood to have been constructive.

A January break has been under discussion, so if it gets agreed it would not impact on the traditional festive football schedule.

An announcement on the next Premier League TV rights is expected next week. The league is seeking an increase on the current £5.14bn deal which includes 168 live matches a season, with Sky holding five packages of games and BT two.

The prospect of a winter break is referenced in the tender documents that have been sent to broadcasters. The next TV deal will cover 2019 to 2022.

"The Premier League has been in discussions with the FA and EFL for several months regarding the challenges of the increasingly congested English football calendar and ways in which we can work together to ease fixture congestion while also giving players a mid-season break," the Premier League said in a statement.

"Provided space can be found in the calendar, we are open to this in principle and will continue constructive discussions with our football stakeholders to seek a workable solution."
Premier League: Winter break under discussion before new TV deal - BBC Sport

[video=youtube;9mn3_J4ggz8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mn3_J4ggz8[/video]
Slight issue with VAR in Portugal, turns out it doesn't mix well with a giant flag

Who am I?
I have played alongside Drogba, Henry, C.Ronaldo and Neymar

Thiago Motta?
Its a lot easier since there's Ronaldo in there. He had to be from Portugal. So he played for Chelsea with Drogba, Barca with Henry and I assume he was gone before Neymar came there, but then I remembered he's still PSG player.

Here's one from me.
He only played for 3 clubs in 2 different leagues ( not counting loans). He played with Guardiola and against Guardiola, same as with Diego Simeone.

And havent played for Chelsea :D
****, I would never guessed if I haven't google it. It was stronger than me. Way too hard to remember everything. Good one. I dont want to write it here because I cheated and maybe someone else will guess it. I'll send you a PM to see if I got it correct this time :P

****, I would never guessed if I haven't google it. It was stronger than me. Way too hard to remember everything. Good one. I dont want to write it here because I cheated and maybe someone else will guess it. I'll send you a PM to see if I got it correct this time :P

Vanjagl answer is correct what he sent in PM. Will keep it secret for now, to let others also have some brain attack.

Have to say, Spurs have been terrific through this scary run of games. Played ourselves, Liverpool & Arsenal off the park with 7 from 9 to show for it.

The way it's currently going, can't see the top 4 changing barring a ridiculously strong Chelsea finish.

It's a good performance to go to Anfield and match Liverpool, let alone outplay them. United had more possession at Anfield than you lot did vs. Spurs, and remember how that figure was joked about? That's how much they had you on the ropes that second half.
View attachment 66769

It's just the way they got their point makes it feel like they didn't deserve it, when in truth, their performance warranted at least that, if not 3.

But tbh, I'm not fussed getting into a subjective debate, my point was Spurs have come out of that scary string of fixtures very very strongly, and it's going to be tricky for Chelsea and virtually impossible for Arsenal to break into the top 4.

Last edited:
And that’s showing what exactly?

Does it show Tottenham lucky to go in at only 1 down half time after being completely outplayed the first half?

Dies it show Liverpool ceading possession the second as part of the game plan the manager has spoken about to then have the better chances the second half despite all of Tottenham’s possession?

Does it show all L’pool lacked all game from killing it was the final ball oft being just a tad off?

And more importantly, does it show how John Moss and Eddie Smart wrongly handed them a point? Which leads into the first penalty that Kane dived for and should have been done with a 2 game ban for deception like Niase. That’s what the law was brought in for right? To stop cheating. But the FA can’t punish England’s golden boy. They just punish the other 5 clubs by allowing him to play today and bag a winner.

Tottenham played well last week. Personally thought they were better than City. (Before I knew it was a deliberate tactic to let them have the possesion secomd half and hit on the break.). But let’s cut the absolute B/S about them ‘playing Liverpool off the park.’

On the overall match a draw was probably just about right. But when it gets handed to you in B/S circumstances through more deception it’s conpletely wrong.

How super poor is this league outside of the top 6 clubs?

Utter S like Burnley have now not won in 10 games, since back on December 12. (DLDDLLLDDL). Yet they STILL sit 7th.

Take out the top 6 and you've a product as bad as many smaller European leagues. The only thing that you can say about it that keeps it the most interesting league in the World is that nobody ever gives up and gives a big side an easy game. But as far as quality goes .....

Burnley is just down to massive over performance & luck. Hate to say that as it takes away credit from them as an honest, low budget squad, but it is what it is. Leicester, Everton & Crystal Palace, who I'd probably regard the 7th, 8th and 9th best sides in the country (based on player quality/quality of football) gave them huge head starts. Southampton should be performing a lot better too given some of the players they have, but it's a shambles there this season.

I wasn't signalling out Burnley per se outside of making the point that a team can go 10 without a win and still sit pretty in 7th. 13 other teams can't capitalise on that.

But this is the best league in the World EVER! Or so the Sky et all hype would have you believe.

Well, it's probably the best league in terms of excitement and player quality. Just tactically light years behind La Liga & Bundesliga. Pep hasn't revolutionized the smaller clubs like he did in Spain, and in particular, Germany. If anything, he's made some of them even more pragmatic.

Player quality within the top 6. There's a serious dirth of it the other 14. Who even set out for a point against each other the majority with the financial prize of survival being so astronomically high. Goals in games between the other 14 clubs is running at an all-time PL low this year.

Back