The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
Player quality within the top 6. There's a serious dirth of it the other 14. Who even set out for a point against each other the majority with the financial prize of survival being so astronomically high. Goals in games between the other 14 clubs is running at an all-time PL low this year.

Lookman goes out to Leipzig and is seen as a valuable squad asset, there are plenty of players that would be welcomed with opened arms out abroad. It's just the money's here, even if the tactical excellence/footballing education isn't.

Mahrez, Vardy, Lanzini, Aurnautovic, Chicarito, Benteke, Zaha, Cabaye, Shaqiri, Butland, Jese, Allen, Cedric, Bertrand, Romeu, Lemina, Tadic, Redmond, Gabbiadini, Merino etc etc. are all excellent players who'd walk into every "midtable" squad, if not 11 (I'd say 90% of 11s) in the world.

Shoot. You can pick out any small percentage of players if you look. Most of the squads are filled with average mediocrity, much of which should be nowhere near the top level, interspersed with one or two that rise above that.

Lookman's club is a great example. One of the worst, poorest quality Everton squads in living memory. Which has Steve Walsh atop many Blues hit lists but that's another story. And they pertain to be the biggest of the rest.

I don't know if I'm misreading this, but if you're suggesting the current Everton lineup is the worst in living memory....we've had worse before this one so that's incorrect. Like I said though, I could be misreading because I've not slept in 3 days so....

Maybe unbalanced and overstocked in certain areas/profiles, but there's definitely high quality within the squad.

One thing I would say though when it comes to the "best league in the world" thing. It would be the best league in Europe (I can't say world as I haven't seen other nations so it would be unethical for me to place our league above other nations) however our officiating is so incredibly diabolical....yeah...I'm keeping quiet on that one lol.

But I've heard some Everton "fans" banging on saying it's the worst team ever etc etc etc etc.....and I'm like "kid. You're not a true Everton fan. We've had worse". Some fans have very selective memories unlike the real fans and that applies to all the clubs in England.

Last edited:
Maybe unbalanced and overstocked in certain areas/profiles, but there's definitely high quality within the squad.

What Everton needs is stability. Which we don't have. Without stability you'll never bring the best out of players. There's no doubt in my mind that once more there's going to be a relegation battle looming unless other results dictate otherwise. And if you have to continuously have to rely on other results....it's a recipe for disaster. Like Liverpool, Chelsea etc, we can't keep relying on past history to attract players.

Everton? Where? I'll give you Walcott and Sigurdsson to a point. The defence is shambolic. Pickford and his little arms are far from that. Baines was but has completely fallen off a cliff. Coleman remains to be seen how he comes back from that shocker. Next to nottin' midfield or wide outside of the aforementioned Theo and Icelandic fella'. Rooney's on his last legs with little else up top. You can go right through player for player and you'd need no more than one hand to justify the above statement. If that. Potential in some of the younger players like but little else.

Walsh has assembled a mess.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm misreading this, but if you're suggesting the current Everton lineup is the worst in living memory....we've had worse before this one so that's incorrect. Like I said though, I could be misreading because I've not slept in 3 days so....

'One' of the worst in living memory mate. Yeah there's been worse. Going back the 90's. But it's slim pickings to see much hope of the current group surely?

Pickford is decent, lots of scope. Has been a little shaky since moving to what's a bigger club, but I have little doubt he'll steady. Will mould into England #1 eventually, I feel.

Mangala & Keane, despite what Wkdsoul might tell you, is a solid CB pairing for Everton. I have definitely seen worse CB's in blue, never mind what Ajt's seen.

If Coleman comes back to what he was, he's still among the finest RB's in the league.

Gueye is an underrated, solid Kante-esque DM. A little chaotic, but no doubting he's a player. A couple of top 6 sides could do with him in their squad this season.

Schneiderlin as a box-to-box is a good player for any club outside the top 6.

Tom Davies looks a little gem. Never going to rock the world, but the kid never does much wrong when I see him. Handy tool.

Bolasie still one of the most dangerous 1v1 players in the division.

Sig's arguably the best attacking midfielder outside the top 6.

Wayne Rooney, last legs or not, is Manchester United & England's top scorer in history, and still has a fair bit to offer. Just not at the highest level.

Walcott is always going to bring you goals and in-behind threat, adds pedigree.

Then you have this turk striker who's well thought of, although I haven't caught him yet.

This Everton squad, in relation to what they've had in the PL era, is at a pretty high level of quality - just needs balancing out, with some more stability at ajt says.

Problem is they have too many defensive minded midfielders (Gueye, Schneiderlin, McCarthy) & attacking midfielders (Rooney, Vlasic, Sig, Klaasen when he was here) with only Davies as a balancer. Need a pure CM. Also need a goalscorer, but they reckon this Turk can answer those issues with Walcott & Rooney supporting him.

Edit: ******* **** that looks longer than it felt whilst typing it.

Last edited:
Mangala should be fine for Everton. Big, Tall, can head, is not slow really. Just his mental game let him down, tends to rush and buggering it up. Head goes down after 1 mistake usually as well but in a big sam team? Should be ideal

****. Your idea of 'high quality' is a **** of a lot lower than mine.

And for many Evertonians in my and ajt's age bracket, who have seen proper high quality at Goodison, the current group is the furthest thing from that.

Last edited:
I am really starting to get bored of all the "Liverpool AND Arsenal linked with Player X" gossip *Yawn*

I am really starting to get bored of all the "Liverpool AND Arsenal linked with Player X" gossip *Yawn*

Gonna' miss you tomorrow mate at r pub. Surprised you never asked. Though I could WELL do without it TBH. If it wasn't for the venom big Virge is gonna' get to make Lovren feel positively 'welcome' I'd of swerved it. The hatred should be off the charts mad.

Got the mad situation of leaving at some un-Godly hour to get down there for dinner. Not getting home until dead late thanks to the bollocks KO time. AGAIN! Thank you SO much Sky. AGAIN!

Working all day Monday. To then turn around and go back down ****** South Monday night for a stopover to an early 9:25 flight out of Stansted Tuesday for Porto.

Don't ask. The sacrifices you make for the Reds. Just be back at Southampton next year you!

Gonna' miss you tomorrow mate at r pub. Surprised you never asked. Though I could WELL do without it TBH. If it wasn't for the venom big Virge is gonna' get to make Lovren feel positively 'welcome' I'd of swerved it. The hatred should be off the charts mad.

Got the mad situation of leaving at some un-Godly hour to get down there for dinner. Not getting home until dead late thanks to the bollocks KO time. AGAIN! Thank you SO much Sky. AGAIN!

Working all day Monday. To then turn around and go back down ****** South Monday night for a stopover to an early 9:25 flight out of Stansted Tuesday for Porto.

Don't ask. The sacrifices you make for the Reds. Just be back at Southampton next year you!

Yeah. Unfortunately I have like million things to pay for in the next few months so I didnt have the money spare this time :|

Danny Murphy thinks KDB is the best passer the premier league has ever seen. Thoughts?

If he said that he literally robbed those words from Jamie Redknapp post match.

I think he has arguably best final ball I've seen in the PL; his crosses can only be matched by Beckham. But I think in terms of of the art of controlling/dictating the game via passing, 60 yard, 5 yard, which pass to play etc. I'd have the likes of Xabi Alonso, Cesc Fabregas, Paul Scholes & co. above him.

There's some major problems posting images with text posts

If he said that he literally robbed those words from Jamie Redknapp post match.

I think he has arguably best final ball I've seen in the PL; his crosses can only be matched by Beckham. But I think in terms of of the art of controlling/dictating the game via passing, 60 yard, 5 yard, which pass to play etc. I'd have the likes of Xabi Alonso, Cesc Fabregas, Paul Scholes & co. above him.
Yeah I wouldn’t of said that he was. The prem has had some great passers. Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Alonso, Carrick, Ozil, Beckham, Silva, Bergkamp, Cesc, Giggs even the likes of Ginola, Tugay, Barnes but don’t think it was the Prem back then

Last edited:
Back