The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 688K
Spurs 0 Norwich 1. Pilikington.

First Man City implode, now Spurs showing signs of falling away.

Ajt, is Everton-Sunderland any good ?

It's pretty dire. Both sides 4-5-1, we've made 5 changes...it ain't good viewing has to be said

Edit-Spurs 1 Norwich 1. Sounds like there's more cheating making the news. Norwich going ballistic

maybe its a good thing I wasn't allowed to change my fantasy team today, I would have put Jelavic in my team

Everton 1 Sunderland 0. Gueye with his first Everton goal

Thank god for that

Stunning goal to watch later on MoTD by Ben Arfa against Bolton. Started on the edge of his area. Absolute quality. Bearing in mind the Spurs scoreline it could be crucial

Everton 3 Sunderland 0

Thanks Norwich for that. 3rd place looking more likely.

wow spurs really have collapsed. not sure why. Newcastle have a real chance of getting 4th

wow spurs really have collapsed. not sure why. Newcastle have a real chance of getting 4th

I really hope they manage 4th before Spurs and Chelsea, but I think they have too hard games coming to manage that. First Stoke at home, Wigan away, Chelsea away, City home and lastly Everton away.

I want to go to Newcastle uni next year so I would love for them to get Champions league haha

Safe to say if they make CL, the Bigg Market will be absolutely rocking that much is guaranteed.

Have to say after watching the Spurs v Norwich match, I can't decide if Tottenham were made to look poor by Norwich's fantastic performance, or were just poor. Norwich were absolutely fantastic last. And how they weren't awarded any pen's last night is absolutely beyond me. If you can't get a penalty awarded by playing honestly, well......what can you say.

Have to say after watching the Spurs v Norwich match, I can't decide if Tottenham were made to look poor by Norwich's fantastic performance, or were just poor. Norwich were absolutely fantastic last. And how they weren't awarded any pen's last night is absolutely beyond me. If you can't get a penalty awarded by playing honestly, well......what can you say.

Spurs's form has been surprisingly bad for a while now. Norwich are a great team for the resources available to them, but they don't have the same quality in the squad as Spurs (spurs should have won that game)- so I think I'd go with just poor.

As for the penalty: I think the bigger the club, the more likely a team will get decisions. Referees are under a psychological slavery to the biggest clubs.

Spurs's form has been surprisingly bad for a while now. Norwich are a great team for the resources available to them, but they don't have the same quality in the squad as Spurs (spurs should have won that game)- so I think I'd go with just poor.

As for the penalty: I think the bigger the club, the more likely a team will get decisions. Referees are under a psychological slavery to the biggest clubs.

Not sure about this, Stoke have seemingly had the most decisions go their way this season.

No doubt in my mind the England vacancy has pretty much distracted them. Won their match on the weekend he resigned-then bang, started a downward slide.

Re: Norwich, they have some excellent players like Holt and Pillkington, Hoolahan (prob **** spelling lol). They held us to a draw, and have held Chelsea to a draw, beaten Newcastle United, and made life very difficult (and not to mention beaten European competition in the form of Parma and drawn with Zaragosa-friendlies or not still impressive). So I don't think it's just down to a poor performance from Spurs after watching it again. It's more like a case of Lambert employing good tactics and the players working their socks off.

As for the refs, it's more like who's the most easy to con as shown by Ashley Young and others. Some refs don't bite, some do. But on the flipside, there's also other factors like positioning, obstructed views that sort of thing.

Last edited:
No doubt in my mind the England vacancy has pretty much distracted them. Won their match on the weekend he resigned-then bang, started a downward slide.

Maybe, more likely as a result of Redknapp not doing his job.

Since the Newcastle game:

Stevenage - A -> 0-0.

Redknapp picked an awful 3-5-2 formation with Bale playing free role in the centre doing f all, and Defoe and Saha up front together, the most useless strike force in recent memory.

Arsenal - A - 5-2.

Redknapp reverts back to the 4-4-2 used against Newcastle. Somewhat understandable. What however was not understandable is Playing Bale right wing and bringing in Kranjcar LM. We were not set up right, and quite rightly nearly every fan i spoke to before the game wanted the 4-5-1 (Sandro Parker Modric CM) for stability in the core. We score two relatively lucky goals then get torn apart.

Man United - H - 1-3

Again, Redknapp doesn't learn his lesson. Set up 4-4-2, but to be fair, played relatively well. Had a goal harshly chalked off, go on to lose the game due to poor defensive errors. Modric played out of position on the left again, however.

Everton - A - 1-0.

**** me. 4-4-2 again. Modric played out wide again. Ineffectual again. Defoe starts, does nothing. Again. Lose the game, although a spirited second half, with poor finishing and no end product. Should have gone with the 3 in midfield again, yet sticks to his 4-4-2.

Stoke - H - 1-1.

Finally plays the 4-5-1. However, instead of playing your best players in their best positions, he plays Bale on the right again, drifting around doing nothing. A poor performance, but after about 80 minutes of the fans chanting for it, Bale goes left wing and assists the Van der Vaart goal. A great cross. From the left. Shock.

Chelsea - A - 0-0

Finally, after weeks of ****. Redknapp plays the 4-5-1, we were set up brilliantly, Sandro Parker Modric centre mid with Bale left and VDV coming in off the right. We put in a great performance and were unlucky not to win. Redknapp learning his lesson? Looks like it.

Note that Redknapp said after the game how he felt 4-5-1 suited us and that its 'Difficult to play 4-4-2 these days".

Swansea - H - 3-1

Again, set up very well. Pressed Swansea high up the pitch and a good performance. Redknapp looking like he's learnt his lesson.

Sunderland - A - 0-0

Set up okay, 4-5-1 again a good sign. However a pretty poor performance, no imagination or craft. Lack of urgency and a few wasted chances. A decent point.

Norwich - H - 1-2

Ah. Where to start... The 4-4-2 was brought back, Livermore was left to do all the work in midfield, didn't work. Modric was lazy, poor, ineffective. Again. The Defoe-Saha partnership was brought back, and was abysmal. Although Defoe did score a lovely goal from Livermore's pass. Bale played where he wanted again, and was poor. A flat performance, out battled and out fought.

Redknapp after the game:

“it's hard to play 4-4-2 these days"

"I thought we were too open".

Not sure what to say to that. Incredible.

Not sure about this, Stoke have seemingly had the most decisions go their way this season.

Let me rephrase the thing about penalties then and call them contentious decisions then.

Back