The Premier League Thread

I dont know whats worse. Utd spending a near world record fee on Maguire or Leicester turning around and spending 45mill on Lewis Dunk. Has to be the latter.

I dont know whats worse. Utd spending a near world record fee on Maguire or Leicester turning around and spending 45mill on Lewis Dunk. Has to be the latter.
Tbh it’s only 60m upfront if it ends up being 80 he and us will be having a good season.

Newcastle defo going down the other two could be either Villa/brighton/Sheff. Top 4 will be unchanged for the top 3, I think Arsenal with Emery in his 2nd season might pip Utd and Chelsea for 4th.

I think Arsenal are fast ending themselves as a top 6 club under Kroenke mate personally Who's only interested in turning a profit.

Chelsea and Utd are in a constant malaise, but at least they will spend (the current transfer ban at Chelsea aside), to stay somewhat relevant.

Arsenal refuse to even do that with a squad that's a horrible mess.

Great to be so settled with a top squad, and football club in general, to be able to wait the market out, dead calm and with no panic, until the players we want fall to the prices we value them at rather than desperately having to over pay for decent, but nowhere near the level of significant upgrade for the fee, players now huh d?

A complete role reversal from much of the PL era.

I like this side way better. ;)

I know it’s still a few weeks away. But with the season looming. Who’s peoples top 4 and relegation prospects?

I'll revisit this toward the end of the window but I only see City, L'pool and Tottenham as certs for the top 4 as I type. And by some distance. I'd more lean on 4th being a battle between Chelsea and Utd, with Arsenal having all on to stay in the top 6 even with Leicester and Wolves in particular threatening to break in there. But with all three of those clubs in a constant state of flux, any of them could equally get 4th, or drop out the top 6.

Relegation wise, you have to start with the promoted clubs as always. With Burnley, Brighton and Newcastle in the mix. Three form those 6.

This is the window where Tyrone Mings is going for £30m.....

This is the window where Tyrone Mings is going for £30m.....

I'd completely missed that so had a mooch in incredulous surprise.

You're a little off mate. Villa have paid £20 million potentially rising to £26.5 M based on appearance clauses.

I'd completely missed that so had a mooch in incredulous surprise.

You're a little off mate. Villa have paid £20 million potentially rising to £26.5 M based on appearance clauses.
Either way it's a bit overpriced.

Newcastle United can now announce that Steve Bruce has been appointed as the club's new head coach.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Crazy that Rio is still that high.

attachment.php

Crazy that Rio is still that high.
Rio was worth every penny though hated that he played for Utd the original VVD he was ****** rolls royce of a player. Best CB in premier league history for me.

Rio was worth every penny though hated that he played for Utd the original VVD he was ****** rolls royce of a player. Best CB in premier league history for me.

Out of all those on that list it's defo Rio and VVD that stand way above the rest in terms of quality. In fairness I'd put Laporte up there but he needs time to prove how good he will be. (He's already good, but not at his prime yet).

Out of all those on that list it's defo Rio and VVD that stand way above the rest in terms of quality. In fairness I'd put Laporte up there but he needs time to prove how good he will be. (He's already good, but not at his prime yet).

Absolutely. Also agree Laporte can get up there too.

Yeah, Rio was way ahead of his time. At a time when English CBs were all about staying back and defending, he used to waltz in and out and ping passes like nobody's business. A dream of a player to watch, honestly. Vidic and Ferdinand just made a perfect pair all around. And VVD is simply a beast now.

Laporte is also underrated a bit, and makes those occasional mistakes in defense, but he will turn out to be a solid, WC defender. Although, and I read this somewhere and it's insane, I don't think he has made his France debut (in all fairness, Varane and Umtiti are ahead of him).

I believe de Ligt will be a beast before long. He is learning at the hands of defense masters, likely playing week in and out and observing Ronaldo and his mentality. He has the potential to turn out to be the best defender on that list (and I haven't rated any defender above Rio till now, but I reckon de Ligt could top even him)

Topical, as he could well soon be topping that list. Whether he ultimately goes City, United or wherever. This isn't a club/ player specific point. Just a general one-

It's why players like Maguire are being so massively over hyped/ valued. And why we sat pat and waited through two windows for van Dijk when the World and his dog were screaming at L'pool to sign A N Other CH ..... There's been a SERIOUS dirth of top class CH's in WF for WAY too long now.

And if that sounds like I don't like players like Maguire that's not the case. He's a solid defender. But nottin' like the money Leicester want and nottin' like a consistent CL challenging level difference maker back there if that's the buying clubs aim. Those type of lads are what get you to that stage. Lad's like the quoted two (Rio/ van Dijk) take you over the top.

If you take the current European Champions, IMHO there's only 2 CH's across the World that would be as good as, or upgrade and improve those currently in the side. de Ligt and Koulibaly at Napoli. And that's it. There's just a complete lack of WC CH's anywhere. Which is a shocking state of affairs right now. So you get a combination of clubs being desperate for any quality at CH, the lack of top ones across the board, which all afords club's like Leicester to play off that and massively over charge as they have the monopoly on the shortage and can play on needy club's desperation.

Last edited:
Also think there is near WC player in Davinson Sánchez. He is 23 is already to class player and learning from Toby and Vert.

Also still have hope for Christensen, but he just cant get game time. Dont understand why, he needs run of games. He was bossing few years back Bundesliga.

Also think there is near WC player in Davinson Sánchez. He is 23 is already to class player and learning from Toby and Vert.

Also still have hope for Christensen, but he just cant get game time. Dont understand why, he needs run of games. He was bossing few years back Bundesliga.
Not for me right now he is far of being WC he has the same archetypical problems that plague defenders in today's era as he rely to much on his recovery pace to get him out of trouble that could have been solved by positioning himself correctly. Christensen was looking excellent before sarri binned him hopefully Lampard gives him some game.

..... Also still have hope for Christensen, but he just cant get game time. Dont understand why, he needs run of games. He was bossing few years back Bundesliga.

Chelsea just get more and more bizarre in most everything they do.

If they sell Zouma to Everton, as is being strongly rumoured, that would move from the bizarre to the down right nonsensical.