The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 688K
Bale has been brilliant, but for the past 3/4 months.. start of the season his name was not even in contention

Think you undervalue Suarez's chances too much. The fact RVP has a team such as Man Utd behind him is a big aid... Suarez has had a poor team for the majority of the season so has done well to achieve as much as he has

Start of the season no one's name was in contention. He played as a winger, played well but didn't score. Once he was moved to central position he kept scoring.

Suarez had poor team is one of the excuse but how many chances have Liverpool players created in comparison to other players? They are up there with the best. Gerrard is second or third in the chances creation and Suarez received more passes in the box and most touches in the box than any other player.

Tbh this season we were ruthless thanks to RVP but you have to see the state of our midfielders and wingers to see how good we were. Not that good, just that our strikers are clinical and we have best chance conversion this season. Our wingers had poor season which obviously means creating lesser number of chances.

On Bale, IMO Lennon was the best winger till Oct-November but then he was moved to Central position and he has matched every one's striker rate. Check his goals and how important they were. At one point he scored or assisted around 15 goals out of 18 goals Spurs scored (more or less) and that kept them up there in contention for the 3rd spot. He managed to turn draws into wins, that's the most important attribute.

Scored 19 goals which is 4 less than Suarez and in 4 less games and that too playing some of the games as winger. That's an incredible record.

RVP should have gotten it.

Also I think Cazorla should have been on team and list instead of Hazard.

Start of the season no one's name was in contention. He played as a winger, played well but didn't score. Once he was moved to central position he kept scoring.

Suarez had poor team is one of the excuse but how many chances have Liverpool players created in comparison to other players? They are up there with the best. Gerrard is second or third in the chances creation and Suarez received more passes in the box and most touches in the box than any other player.

Tbh this season we were ruthless thanks to RVP but you have to see the state of our midfielders and wingers to see how good we were. Not that good, just that our strikers are clinical and we have best chance conversion this season. Our wingers had poor season which obviously means creating lesser number of chances.

On Bale, IMO Lennon was the best winger till Oct-November but then he was moved to Central position and he has matched every one's striker rate. Check his goals and how important they were. At one point he scored or assisted around 15 goals out of 18 goals Spurs scored (more or less) and that kept them up there in contention for the 3rd spot. He managed to turn draws into wins, that's the most important attribute.

Scored 19 goals which is 4 less than Suarez and in 4 less games and that too playing some of the games as winger. That's an incredible record.

Agreed, after Christmas Bale was unbelievable ... just think as its a seasonal award he is third choice IMO

RVP for me should have won it due to the importance of his goals ETC but I suppose you couldnt really argue if any of the three had won it

Agreed, after Christmas Bale was unbelievable ... just think as its a seasonal award he is third choice IMO

RVP for me should have won it due to the importance of his goals ETC but I suppose you couldnt really argue if any of the three had won it

That was my point tbh. It was so close that any one of the 3 could have won it and people could have said he deserved it. All 3 had very good seasons and to separate them we have to start picking up fine details with stats and all that.

At least it is not as bad as 2009 when Giggs won it and in 2011 when Parker won the writers player of the year. And in 2010-11 season when Nani was not even nominated (He was the best player in the league that season IMO)he was just superb and Berbatov even though he was leading goal scorer didn't get nominated.

Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov has announced he is quitting football to set up a charity for leukaemia sufferers.

The Bulgarian is in remission from the disease which was diagnosed in March 2012 after he complained of feeling fatigued during a game at Arsenal. 'Soft treatment' remains ongoing and Petrov, who won eight major trophies in seven years at Celtic before joining Villa in 2006, has decided to devote himself to charity work rather than return to football.
In a statement released on the Villa website he said: "It is with a heavy heart that I am announcing my retirement from the game.
"The emotions are overwhelming really, but the continued support of family, friends and the great people I have come to know will make it easier for me to move on from the only life I've ever known.
"That I am ready to embrace new challenges will make this process much easier.
"Since being diagnosed with acute leukaemia in March 2012, I have come to understand and appreciate the way in which this disease impacts the lives of so many people.
"I can help and I want to help and, in setting up a foundation to help address the issues involved when people are diagnosed with this illness, I hope to make a difference. For the life I've lived in football, I will always be incredibly grateful. For the opportunity this crazy thing that happened in my life has given me, I also feel grateful in a strange kind of way. This crazy thing, somehow, has touched people and I want to try to channel this in a positive way. This will be the greatest challenge of my life. I wish to thank the fans of Aston Villa and the Villa chairman, Randy Lerner, chief executive Paul Faulkner and manager Paul Lambert, also the fans of Celtic, the Bulgarian fans and fans of football all over the world who have helped me through the past year."

Aston Villa's Stiliyan Petrov announces retirement to set up leukaemia foundation | Aston Villa News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

Nothing but utmost respect for him, and wishing him all the best. Great gesture.

Congrats Wigan. Amazing achievement. Shame they will be going down but cup win was just amazing.

Agreed, after Christmas Bale was unbelievable

Statistically. Suarez was better than Bale all the way until the end of March. And most probably further. But I haven't seen the stats onwards from then...

Edit: From Jan-End of March I should say.

Last edited:
Chuffed to bits for Ben Watson. Missed majority of season with broken leg, scores a winner against a team that outspent everyone else in the FA Cup Final. That is what dreams are made of. Proper fairytale

Oooo it's getting tasty now with Spurs temporarily nicking the 4th spot. Arsenal still to play of course

City are just putting together his severance pay now, Pellegrini taking over.

I'm happy. Mancini has the dignity of a dogs whoopsee. Excellent manager yes. But such a complete noob

Not entirely surprising. Hasn't managed to create a completely cohesive squad, numerous off-field problems, and poor tactical decisions. Still think he deserves another year and another go at the champions league but given the level of investment and the lack of competitiveness in the CL it certainly wouldn't be the harshest sacking ever.

They could also do far worse than appointing Pellegrini as manager.

Mancini now officially sacked, will be new managers at Chelsea, City and United. Interesting

Seems harsh, deserved to stay on for me, but given the squad they had it was a poor season

Im guessing:

Pellegrini - City
Mourinho - Chelsea
Mancini - PSG
Ancelotti - Real

Last edited:
Mancini now officially sacked, will be new managers at Chelsea, City and United. Interesting

Seems harsh, deserved to stay on for me, but given the squad they had it was a poor season

Im guessing:

Pellegrini - City
Mourinho - Chelsea
Mancini - PSG
Ancelotti - Real

PSG have already confirmed they have denied Real Madrid's advances for Ancelotti.

Back