The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 688K
Everyone's Premier League team of the season?

GK: David Marshall
DR: Seamus Coleman
DL: Luke Shaw
DC: John Terry
DC: Gary Cahill
MC: Steven Gerrard
MC: Yaya Toure
AML: Adam Lallana
AMC: Eden Hazard
AMR: Raheem Sterling
ST: Luis Suarez

Subs:
Vito Mannone
Cesar Azpilicueta
Curtis Davies
Aaron Ramsey
David Silva
Jay Rodriguez
Daniel Sturridge

Manager: Tony Pulis

GK: Howard
RB: Coleman
CB: Koscielny
CB: Terry
LB: Shaw
CM: Ramsey
CM: Toure
AML: Hazard
AM: Silva
AMR: Lallana
ST: Suarez

1: Marshall
2: Azpilicueta
3: Cahill
4: Henderson
5: Jay Rodriguez
6: Aguero
7: Sturridge

Pulis edging it over Rodgers slightly.

LB: Cesar Azpilicueta
CB: Curtis Davies
CB: Gary Cahill
RB: Seamus Coleman
DM: Steven Gerrard
DM: Mile Jedinak
AM: Luis Suarez
AM: Yaya Toure
AM: Eden Hazard
ST: Danny Sturridge

Bench:
1. David De Gea
2. Joel Ward
3. Martin Skrtel
4. Fernandinho
5. David Silva
6. Christian Eriksen
7. Sergio Aguero

Manager: Pulis

Ball Boy: The one Mourinho shouted at

DR: Seamus Coleman
DL: Cesar Azpilicueta
DC: John Terry
DC: Per Mertesacker
MC: Yaya Toure
MC: Steven Gerrard
ML: Eden Hazard
MR: Adam Lallana
ST: Luis Suarez
ST: Daniel Sturridge

Manager: Brendan Rodgers

Last edited:
I am amazed at Pulis instead of Rodgers shout's.... Dont get me wrong, Pulis has been fantastic and without a one off season for Liverpool would have easily won it

But 7th place, to 1st without spending hardly any money compared to the likes of City and Chelsea is unbelievable, no team has finished below 3rd and gone on to win the Premier League the next season...

Rodgers as MOTY is one of the easiest choices you should make this year

I am amazed at Pulis instead of Rodgers shout's.... Dont get me wrong, Pulis has been fantastic and without a one off season for Liverpool would have easily won it

But 7th place, to 1st without spending hardly any money compared to the likes of City and Chelsea is unbelievable, no team has finished below 3rd and gone on to win the Premier League the next season...

Rodgers as MOTY is one of the easiest choices you should make this year

Right, except Pulis came in to a team that was dead and buried and not only took them to safety, he's nearly taken them into the top ten.

All with no money, no additions, a team that wasn't his, a tiny timeframe to start working his magic, and a completely demoralised and directionless club.

Rodgers took a good team with some great players and made them play to their potential. Pulis took a bad team with some good players and made them play WAY above their potential.

As much as I hate agreeing with GC, it's Tony P any day.... it's a wonder Palace aren't relegated... let alone anything else.

It's tight, but who would you rather have? A manager who has taken a DOOMED team to the top 10 or a manager who can break in the top 3 and is 3 games to go to win the title surprisingly.

Right, except Pulis came in to a team that was dead and buried and not only took them to safety, he's nearly taken them into the top ten.

All with no money, no additions, a team that wasn't his, a tiny timeframe to start working his magic, and a completely demoralised and directionless club.

Rodgers took a good team with some great players and made them play to their potential. Pulis took a bad team with some good players and made them play WAY above their potential.

As much as I hate agreeing with GC, it's Tony P any day.... it's a wonder Palace aren't relegated... let alone anything else.

Im not diminishing what Pulis has done, it is quite incredible...

But taking a team from bottom of the table to mid table is a lot easier than from 7th to 1st due to the money involved with the top sides...

I think if Rodgers wins the league, he'll win it either way and rightly so

But taking a team from bottom of the table to mid table is a lot easier than from 7th to 1st due to the money involved with the top sides...

Have you not seen Palace's squad? Rodgers has the likes of Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Gerrard etc. to work with. Pulis? He's turned the 'makh and Cameron Jerome into fearsome predators of the premier league.

Have you not seen Palace's squad? Rodgers has the likes of Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Gerrard etc. to work with. Pulis? He's turned the 'makh and Cameron Jerome into fearsome predators of the premier league.

Yes he's done very well, and had it not been for Liverpool's season he would have walked the Manager of the year award... Shame for him, the likelihood is Rodgers will win it because what he might do will have never been achieved before

Yeah, so easy to do that nobody's ever done it before.

Frankly, Liverpool had a lot of advantages, in hindsight: a settled squad, a manager with a full year under his belt and critically rivals that were in transition. Chelsea and both Manchester Clubs had both appointed new managers and were fighting on four fronts, whereas Arsenal are... well, they're Arsenal. Spurs were never contenders. Of course, they had a lot of disadvantages too, not being able to spend crazy amounts of money being one of them, but my point stands.

Compare that to Pulis. He had to come in and on day one make an impact. He had to turn around a horribly demoralised club with lacking any semblance of a goalscorer (the absolute most critical thing in a relegation battle) and lacking quality in key areas. I don't think you understand just how royally ****** we were. When Pulis came in we were stone dead last. We had won one game: against the equally useless Sunderland. We hadn't got ANY other points in our first ten games. Pulis' first game, we win, away from home. From there it only got better and he familiarised himself. He's a ******* magician.

Look, like I said earlier, Rodgers has done great things, but they're all things that could feasibly be accomplished. He took a team with a decent squad and a fantastic first team who were only really challenging on one front and made them play like champions. Liverpool's seventh place last season was something of a false one when looking at it now - all the people above them either changed their manager (the top three and Everton), lost one of the best players in the world AND changed their manager (Spurs) or were Arsenal (lol Arsenal) - but it is still a great achievement. A feasible achievement, but a great one nonetheless.

Pulis, on the other hand, pulled off something ridiculous. In the space of about four months, he took a team that were dead certs to go down, with no goalscorer, a misfiring defence and a midfield held together by one man, and turned them into a midtable club. It takes most clubs three or so years of progress and settled development to pull that off. What Pulis did is utterly unprecedented, even more so than taking a club from seventh to first.

It's all moot, of course, since Rodgers is going to win it, but it's not right that he will.

Frankly, Liverpool had a lot of advantages, in hindsight: a settled squad, a manager with a full year under his belt and critically rivals that were in transition. Chelsea and both Manchester Clubs had both appointed new managers and were fighting on four fronts, whereas Arsenal are... well, they're Arsenal. Spurs were never contenders. Of course, they had a lot of disadvantages too, not being able to spend crazy amounts of money being one of them, but my point stands.

Compare that to Pulis. He had to come in and on day one make an impact. He had to turn around a horribly demoralised club with lacking any semblance of a goalscorer (the absolute most critical thing in a relegation battle) and lacking quality in key areas. I don't think you understand just how royally ****** we were. When Pulis came in we were stone dead last. We had won one game: against the equally useless Sunderland. We hadn't got ANY other points in our first ten games. Pulis' first game, we win, away from home. From there it only got better and he familiarised himself. He's a ******* magician.

Look, like I said earlier, Rodgers has done great things, but they're all things that could feasibly be accomplished. He took a team with a decent squad and a fantastic first team who were only really challenging on one front and made them play like champions. Liverpool's seventh place last season was something of a false one when looking at it now - all the people above them either changed their manager (the top three and Everton), lost one of the best players in the world AND changed their manager (Spurs) or were Arsenal (lol Arsenal) - but it is still a great achievement. A feasible achievement, but a great one nonetheless.

Pulis, on the other hand, pulled off something ridiculous. In the space of about four months, he took a team that were dead certs to go down, with no goalscorer, a misfiring defence and a midfield held together by one man, and turned them into a midtable club. It takes most clubs three or so years of progress and settled development to pull that off. What Pulis did is utterly unprecedented, even more so than taking a club from seventh to first.

It's all moot, of course, since Rodgers is going to win it, but it's not right that he will.

False position or not, nobody has ever gone from below 3rd to then win the Premier League the next season

Pulis has been fantastic and done brilliant well, but Rodgers will win it and rightly so... I may be being stubborn but I can not honestly see anyone deserving of it more than Rodgers

It may go down as one of the most surprising and historic wins in the Premier League Era

This conversation definitely makes me think what might have been whether Wenger pushed his bid up to 45m for Suarez, or even went as far as 32m for Higuain considering he wanted to come to London anyway.

Such a missed opportunity.

This conversation definitely makes me think what might have been whether Wenger pushed his bid up to 45m for Suarez, or even went as far as 32m for Higuain considering he wanted to come to London anyway.

Such a missed opportunity.

It's an interesting what if. I think Arsenal would've challenged but not won with Higuain, but if Wenger had got Suarez it's safe to say Liverpool wouldn't be in contention (still top four, mind) but Arsenal could well have won it.

It's an interesting what if. I think Arsenal would've challenged but not won with Higuain, but if Wenger had got Suarez it's safe to say Liverpool wouldn't be in contention (still top four, mind) but Arsenal could well have won it.

There is also a certain mental strengthening which comes from knowing you have to perform or the person behind you gets a game. For me, the moment I realised things were quite ridiculous at Arsenal was being aware the club has 100m in the bank, yet we were starting Yaya Sanogo up front in his first full game, against Bayern Munich in the Champions League. It brought home the penny-pinching which is entirely unnecessary at this level.

Especially now, with City only a potential four points ahead despite Arsenal's awful run, and Chelsea losing points all over the place - it would have certainly been possible to keep up a half decent pace during that awful run of games in March.

Regardless, lets hope this 'review' of the medical department has some positive outcomes. I don't expect to sign amazing players every year, in fact the club needs a lot of new players this summer - but I would like to see the top players we do have actually playing more minutes, instead of giving Diaby company in the physio department.

Two fans of two different clubs each arguing for their manager, yeah this will totally end well.

If Pulis beats Man City, Liverpool, & Fulham then by all means, give him the award. He's done a very good job of grinding out 1-0 wins and has won his last five but none of the results have been much of a shock.

Pulis also didn't come in splashing the cash, he has improved the players he had which were not his.

Just a shame both Pulis and Rodgers can't share the award. Both deserving of winning it. Seems a tad unfair that one will be empty handed.

Two fans of two different clubs each arguing for their manager, yeah this will totally end well.

If Pulis beats Man City, Liverpool, & Fulham then by all means, give him the award. He's done a very good job of grinding out 1-0 wins and has won his last five but none of the results have been much of a shock.

...us beating Chelsea wasn't a shock?

Back