The Prodigal Son: A Manchester United Story

Ohh come on dude, this is awesome :D when's the next update coming?

Should be putting up an update tonight, as long as I don't fall asleep :L

Chapter 22:
17th March, 2000
Preston, Lancs.

“Look Thommo, he ain’t going! He’s only just got into Droylsden, what the **** makes you think he’ll even get into Celtic?“
“Honestly Steve, he’s good enough!“
“Like you were ‘good‘ enough for Newcastle, eh? Listen to me, Alan! He’s 15!“

I shut the door as I walked back in from after-school training. My dad and my cousin were having a blazing row. Apparently, Alan thought I would be good enough to join him at Celtic. I thought about it as I hung my blazer up. I don’t want to move to Glasgow, really, was my first thought. And honestly, it was the truth.

18th January, 2012
Salford, Manchester.

Phelan Leaves OT To Take Wolves Job

I handed the paper back to Gill.
“So, any ideas, David?“ I asked him. “Who’s gonna replace him?“
“I thought I’d let you pick, Danny. Your decisions so far since arriving have been nothing short of inspired. So, any ideas?“ He replied, with a smile.
“I suppose I have an idea. An old family friend, family actually. He’s got experience – captain, assistant, 1st team coach. Here.“

I wrote two words on the paper. Alan Thompson.

A couple hours later, I was stood out in the North Stand.
“Look, Alan. I can get you a new job. Better then being Neil Lennon’s whipping boy. You know Phelan’s left, don’t you?“
“Aye.“ I heard him reply. “It’s like Preston all over again, ain’t it laddie?“
“I suppose it is Alan. Will you take it?“
“I’m sure I’ll be able to make it down. Tell Gill to get a contract written up, Danny Boy“ He laughed. “I’ll see you in a few days.“
I shut the phone. I still hated him calling me Danny Boy. But he is family, I mused.

The team, mostly the youth lads, were buzzing after the 6-0 demolition of Burton in the cup. I’m pretty sure he’d get along with them quite well. That, and he’ll be here for the QPR match, at least.

Cool update mate. Phelan leaving is a bummer though!

Chapter 23:
21st January, 2012
Loftus Road, London.

”... number 26, Steven N’Zonzi! And that concludes the teams and we are ready to kick off!”

The announcer finished off his spiel as I took my seat in the away dugout. Chicha was knelt in the centre circle, going through his regular pre-match prayers. He stood, and took his position as the ref blew to signal the start of the game.

Straight from kick-off, Erick Torres, partnering his countryman for the first time this season, wormed his way through the QPR midfield and drew a foul from Barton, which also drew a booking from referee Mark Clattenburg. Kroos lined up the ball in from the free-kick. The ball held up in the air as he floated the cross to the back post, evading all the QPR players and met by Torres, who found the net with aplomb. 1-0, in 3 minutes! Jumping up with arms raised, I reminded the lads that there was still over 85 minutes to play. Last thing I wanted was complacency. From the resulting kick-off it was all us. Kroos saw a shot from the edge of the box clip the post before Hamsik picked up the ball 40 yards out. He beat one man, two, then laid the ball into Hernandez to slot past Kenny in the Rangers goal. 2-0 within 13 minutes, and from the other side of the ground I could see blue and white shirts leaving. I grinned like a madman as the two Mexicans continued their assault of the Rangers goal. Torres quickly made it 3 within 20 minutes with a great header from a cross from the outstanding Kroos.

The team began to stand off as the ball was brought to the centre spot for the fourth time this match. I didn’t blame them – 3-0 up with only 25 minutes played was a fantastic place to be, especially away from home. And it got better, as 3 minutes from half-time Hamsik broke through the QPR ranks and played in Torres with a defence splitting ball. The young Mexican then rounded Kenny and slotted into the empty net. Spinning away ecstatically, he celebrated his first senior hattrick – and what appeared to be the killing blow, as Paddy Kenny just led, defeated, on his 18 yard line.

As the whistle blew for half-time the Rangers players trooped off dejected. Not one looked up as they passed me, and Warnock barely moved from the dugout. He would have given anything to have the game end now, as opposed to facing another 45 minutes of demolition his team inevitably had coming.

I walked through the doors of the away changing room to cheers and shouting – Erick was grinning ear to ear as he looked up at me. I motioned to Alan.

“Alright, laddies, calm it – gaffer wants to speak”

“Well – I’m pretty sure you know what I’m about to say. ****** fantastic, all of you – Erick – You’ve been brilliant. Javier, you too. Marek and Toni, just keep it up. We could smash the scoring records at this rate if you lads play like you did in the first half. QPR are beaten, we know that – now, the question is, how badly are we gonna beat them?”

I took my seat next to Thommo for the second half. I noticed Warnock was motioning to the fouth official – who then put up his board. Barton was coming off for QPR. I watched as the disgruntled midfielder stormed down the tunnel – not even looking back. Probably off to tweet about how he wants a move, I thought. Smiling, I turned back to the game.

The players continued exactly how they had ended the first half – with no mercy at all. The barrage that had fallen on Kenny’s goal in the last 45 minutes continued almost immediately. Kenny played bravely, keeping out Hernandez, then pushing Kroos’ shot around the post. From the resulting corner, however – the short-lived resistance was broken as Vidic headed in at the front post for 5-0. And within 2 minutes it was 6, as substitute Vaclav Kadlec, on for Hamsik, ripped a 20 yard drive into the bottom corner. Before the hour, it was seven goals to nil, as Erick Torres completed a majestic performance with a close range finish.

Torres wasn’t finished yet. 10 minutes from time, and in a move that reminded me of the video that made me bid for him, he slipped between 2 defenders, rounded a third and slid it toward Hernandez, who slotted the ball past Kenny for 8-0. Eight ****** nil. Annihilation. Chants of “Warnock Out” were echoing around the remaining QPR fans as the ref blew for full time.

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant mate. Always a pleasure to read your updates :D

Just some feedback for future writing reference:

What is it exactly that you guys like about the story?

Personally I enjoy you bring it to life with actually describing indvidual personality traits in majority of the players, and the way it has back story, I.E when you talk about his wife and their problems or my favourite the christmas party :) Also the sense of passion you get from the managers perspective in-game. It's just generally a well written story (6)

Looking forward to more mate. Great read! Would only wish my story was as good as this haha!

nice story mate, been picturing it in my head, just dont stop it, its very interesting