The Prodigal Son: A Manchester United Story

Don't worry you guys, I have a few ideas for twists and turns - had a bit of a writer's block for a couple days :/

What type of updates do you want to see? More matches? More club goings-on? More personal storytelling?

yeah, i find that stuff like the nani incident and other stuff like that make it interesting,, the backstory is amazing too. Ive also got an idea that i would like to put forward, if it interests you, you could include of how a certain players is sneaking about for a while, you get suspicious and find out hes been secretley trading your tactics with man city and telling opponents the team information, and when you find out you offload him asap and make united like **** for him, if you use it, thanks

when would the next update likley be too, ill write it down to make sre i log on:D

Chapter 24:
5th​ February, 2012.
Salford, Manchester

Bright lights and beeping filled my senses. I try to get up, but every limb feels like it is filled with lead. That’s when I notice the looming figure – large, lensed eyes, gleaming coat – I thrash around trying to avoid as it gets closer, closer, clo-

“Dan! What’s going on? You’re as white as a sheet!”

I snapped out of the vivid images and back into reality. Alice’s sapphire eyes gleamed through the gloom of the night. I was shaking, visibly shaking, the ghostly image of the doctor burned into my eyes.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just the dreams.” I replied, half-conscious. I wasn’t going to reveal how bad it actually was. All I wanted to do was go back to sleep.

“Look, just listen to me – you need to go get it checked out – or at least talk to someone, for God’s sake!” She insisted, her red hair billowing around her face as she moved her hands, as if to emphasise the point.

“I’m not going to some shrink, if that’s what you’re saying–“

“No.... just, it would be nice for you to ‘get it all off your chest’ if you understand?” She said, calmly. Deep down I knew she had a point. Keeping it to myself only made it worse.

‘He said "We're going wrong, we've all become the same. We dress the same ways, only our accents change...’

The melodic chords of Stereophonics stirred me from a restless sleep. The dreams hadn’t come back since I’d got my head back down, but I still woke up as tired as the night before. I decided my usual way of shaking off sleep would be a better option than relentlessly necking coffee until I was bouncing off the ceiling.

Wandering towards Sir Matt Busby Way, I got lost in my thoughts. What if I did need to see a shrink? I shook that thought out of my head for the moment. Not just yet, I told myself. As I got to the reception, I was greeted by the smug grin of Lisa.

“Been at the nightclubs last night?” She asked. “You look a little worse for wear, too I should say!” she added, with another cheeky smile.

“Not really” I replied. “Just not sleeping too well. Problems with the past, and all that.”

“Oh, sorry.” She leaned forward. “Maybe you want to come round and... I don’t know, relax at mine after work then? Take your mind off things a little?” She shifted a little, flicked her blonde locks over her shoulder and gave me a flirtatious look, accompanied by a little wink.

“Yeah, about that – Alice and I were talking about checking up with the doctors, see if there is anything wrong.” She did a double-take at the name.

“Alice?”

“Yeah, my fiancée – you didn’t know?”

“No. I did not, Mr Newton” She obviously didn’t like the sound of that. Lisa wasn’t a woman who liked having her nose put out of joint. You dodged a bullet there mate. I told myself. And yet talking to yourself is one of the first signs of madness.

Great stuff mate. Thought I was having a rough ride.

Like trying to sort out my current situation with my club...when I'm trying to sleep...in real life lol.

Riveting stuff-keep it up.

Great story, I love how in-depth and long the updates are! I've read it from the start for around an hour (in a row) now, and I've enjoyed it immensely. Keep it going, mate, this is one of the best stories on FM-Base, in my opinion! By the way, did you actually manage Drolysden, Bury, Derby and Sevilla on Football Manager as well?

- PZW

Last edited:
Great story, I love how in-depth and long the updates are! I've read it from the start for around an hour (in a row) now, and I've enjoyed it immensely. Keep it going, mate, this is one of the best stories on FM-Base, in my opinion! By the way, did you actually manager Drolysden, Bury, Derby and Sevilla on Football Manager as well?

​- PZW

I haven't actually managed them this year, no, but I did manage Droylsden and Bury last year, taking the latter to the prem in 5 seasons :)

Last edited:
Most of the time big club stories are boring but the creative writing and effort put into this makes it my favourite story!Keep it up!

Just like to know, what's everyone's impressions of the characters?

Anyone?

somthing weird happened just on my fm11 newcastle save, alls i saw was Preston North End hire Andre Villas Boas as there manager

phil jones is a bit of a jack the lad maybe hangs out with cleverley, welbeck, kadlec + torres etc. ryan giggs is your model professional, theres an arrogance about ashley young, that new keeper you signed- smithies i could see being quite nervous- a bit daunted about playing for united, toni kroos for being german is very efficient, very tidy- organised- arrives early for training type thing, all i can think of

phil jones is a bit of a jack the lad maybe hangs out with cleverley, welbeck, kadlec + torres etc. ryan giggs is your model professional, theres an arrogance about ashley young, that new keeper you signed- smithies i could see being quite nervous- a bit daunted about playing for united, toni kroos for being german is very efficient, very tidy- organised- arrives early for training type thing, all i can think of

I did actually mean the characters, not the players :L

All I could get from Andreas was "Lively"...