The Return of Aitor Herrera - The Boss of Bilbao

• Thread starter Thread starter Klippybo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 467
  • Views Views 157K
hey i am nearing the end of my 1st season at spurs and i want to bring through british talent, but will have to do this after 2nd season beacuse i have Destro coming in..what advice can you give me when i am searching for young British players

I tend to try and get 16y/o players with high mental attributes and lots of pace and i they are good at set pieces then great!!!!

My general rule of thumb with 15 or 16y/o players is add 5 to each attribute to see how good they can be. Of course some improve by more but it works for me most of the time. Had a few clangers though

Can anyone tell me how I can reply to several peeps on the same post - havent figured that out yet! Thanks in advance

Can anyone tell me how I can reply to several peeps on the same post - havent figured that out yet! Thanks in advance
Press reply with quote on the first post, then copy that reply with quote on another post and then paste it in. Repeat as many tiems as necessary and then reply inbetween.

Press reply with quote on the first post, then copy that reply with quote on another post and then paste it in. Repeat as many tiems as necessary and then reply inbetween.

Thanks...i will implament this British Youth policy from the end of my 2nd season cos i have already signed 1 or 2 foreign regens...i have just added you to my steam too lol i hope u dont mind

images

JANUARY

Loads of games this month which equals loads of wins!!! We blew hot and cold this month as we thumped a team one game and struggled the next!

Anywho I can now reveal my transfers. I said previously it was 3 but it was only 2 as one isnt joining until the end of the season but I still shelled out over £15m. Firstly I spent £8m on 16y/o striker Jorge Gerpe who I believe will take over from Muniain. I actually think I have one of the best regens I have seen here as he is quick, can finish can pass, cross, take set pieces I could go on - we shall see!!!!
View attachment 289816

I also spent £7.5m on LB Mikel Iriarte from Real Madrid. He started at Sociedad but wouldnt sign for me and moved to Madrid on a free but I brought him in to battle with Vera for the LB spot.
View attachment 289817

Finally Moises Bernal came 2nd in the World Player of the Year awards but won the European Golden Boy award and once again my DOF arranged to sign Fernando Llorente on a free but I wasnt having any of it.

-------------------------------------------------

Copa del Rey 5th Round 2nd Leg
Celta Vigo (0) 0-2 Athletic Bilbao (5)
Prieto, Deivid (og)
(Agg: 0-7)

Gerpe and Iriarte made their debuts here and werent spectacular.

--------------------------------------------------------

Villarreal 0-2 Athletic Bilbao
Muniain 2

Copa del Rey QF 1st Leg
Athletic Bilbao 1-0 Real Sociedad
Muniain

Bernal went off injured early on here as we never got out of 1st gear but a derby win is always good to get.

----------------------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 2-1 Valencia
Vazquez (pen), Inigo Martinez

A deserved win although we left it late to get the winner. Former loanee Albert Jose scored for Valencia. He has developed ok but nowt special.

------------------------------------------------------------

Copa del Rey QF 2nd Leg

Real Sociedad (0) 0-5 Athletic Bilbao (1)
Inigo Martinez, Muniain 2, Javi Martinez, Bernal
(Agg: 0-6)

Once again we were 5up at half-time!!!!! This was the Martinez show as Inigo and Javi scored while Aitor got 2 assists. Atletico Madrid thumped Barca 4-1 to knock them out and we will play them in the semis.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 6-1 Celta Vigo
Muniain 2, Bernal 2, Herrera 2

No prizes for guessing the half-time score here - we did it again!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Copa del Rey SF 1st Leg
Atletico Madrid 0-2 Athletic Bilbao
Bueno, Ortega

This was looking like my first game without winning this season but sub Bueno scored on 76min and Ortega added a 2nd.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 3-0 Granada
Muniain, Bernal 2

We had an early goal disallowed here but managed to win without it. Vera got injured and is out for 3 months................

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Copa del Rey SF 2nd Leg

Athletic Bilbao (2) 3-1 Atletico Madrid (0)
Gerpe, Borja (og), Griezmann
(Agg: 5-1)

I decided to rest my first XI as we have 3 tough away games coming up. I risked the 100% record in doing so but we still came out on top. Real Madrid will be our opponents in the final.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MOISES BERNAL

View attachment 289819

View attachment 289818

Notable transfers.............

Barcelona sign Marc Nabab from Lyon for £29m
Real Madrid sign Dean Smits from Ajax for £14.75m

Last edited:
@ KLIPPYBO

Do u use shouts, match prep, OI and upload a shot of ur tactic as i want to recreate the success on my career with bilbao

Thanks

@ KLIPPYBO

Do u use shouts, match prep, OI and upload a shot of ur tactic as i want to recreate the success on my career with bilbao

Thanks

Tactic is on page 4 - I just change the player roles to suit the player unless I think otherwise. Dont use shouts and match prep is done by my assistant but I do the team talks

hi KLIPPYBO , how do you make for regen's progress better? to play at b team or U18 team ?

you make a lots of future super stars !

sorry for my (bad) english

hi KLIPPYBO , how do you make for regen's progress better? to play at b team or U18 team ?

you make a lots of future super stars !

sorry for my (bad) english

No problem mate! When I sign them I keep them in the u19 side for the first season so I can get them tutored properly and they may play 5 or 6 games. After that I will either loan them out or put them into my B team unless I think they are really special (Bonilla, Ortega, Martinez etc).

If they dont get games in the B team I move them back to the u19s or offer them out on loan but overall I feel if they arent being considered for the first team by the time they are 21 then they arent likely going to make it.

I basically plan 4 or 5 years ahead as the following table will show. There will obviously be a couple of changes in say 5 years time but I fully expect Prieto, Reverte, Vazquez, Bernal, Ortega and Muniain/Gerpe to be first choice then and that is forgetting Artola, Bueno, Torres (wonderkid), and a few u19s tat I have.

[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]NAME[/TD]
[TD]POS[/TD]
[TD]FUTURE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ruffier[/TD]
[TD]GK[/TD]
[TD]Vazquez?[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Azpilicueta[/TD]
[TD]RB[/TD]
[TD]Bucci[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Vera[/TD]
[TD]LB[/TD]
[TD]Iriarte (almost level with Vera - up for grabs)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]San Jose[/TD]
[TD]CB[/TD]
[TD]Reverte[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Inigo Martinez[/TD]
[TD]CB[/TD]
[TD]Prieto[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Javi Martinez[/TD]
[TD]CM[/TD]
[TD]Hoz[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Vazquez[/TD]
[TD]CM[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bernal[/TD]
[TD]LW[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ortega[/TD]
[TD]RW[/TD]
[TD]Martinez (not a replacement - more of a battle to start)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Herrera[/TD]
[TD]AMC[/TD]
[TD]Bonilla[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Muniain[/TD]
[TD]ST[/TD]
[TD]Gerpe[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Hey KLIPPYBO, thinking of giving an Athletic save a go as I'm looking for a new challenge on FM (won Liga and CL with Real Sociedad (the rivals I know but I have no attachment to either club and was interested in reliving and surpassing their former glories) so I'm bored now and looking for a more difficult challenge).

I was just wondering, how have you gone about increasing the amount of Basque players available to your club? have you increased scouting ranges and all the other technical stuff you can do?

Do you bring in foreign scouts to improve the chances of foreign newgens in your academy?

Do you search South America?

I'm mentioning this because I heard that Diego Forlan could play for Athletic because of Basque heritage (Gonzalo Higuain too) and wonder how many South American players and newgens in FM would have Basque heritage.

Also where do you find if the players basque on the player screen? or do you have to do it with player searches?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in the technical stuff involved in managing a unique club like Athletic.

Hey KLIPPYBO, thinking of giving an Athletic save a go as I'm looking for a new challenge on FM (won Liga and CL with Real Sociedad (the rivals I know but I have no attachment to either club and was interested in reliving and surpassing their former glories) so I'm bored now and looking for a more difficult challenge).

I was just wondering, how have you gone about increasing the amount of Basque players available to your club? have you increased scouting ranges and all the other technical stuff you can do?

Do you bring in foreign scouts to improve the chances of foreign newgens in your academy?

Do you search South America?

I'm mentioning this because I heard that Diego Forlan could play for Athletic because of Basque heritage (Gonzalo Higuain too) and wonder how many South American players and newgens in FM would have Basque heritage.

Also where do you find if the players basque on the player screen? or do you have to do it with player searches?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in the technical stuff involved in managing a unique club like Athletic.

Hello. I cant remember if I made all Basque players be in the game as I thought it wouldnt make much of a difference - the only decent young Basque player abroad is Jorge Espericueta who plays in Mexico. My database size is large so you get all the Basques based in Spain and all the main ones based abroad like Ruffier, Arteta, Javi Martinez, Forlan and even some French ones I have never heard of!

I have always tried and always failed to get the board to increase my scouting range - it is on widespread - but I have brought in foreign scouts. I feel it doesnt matter all that much - especially as I am Spain manager - as ALL the Spanish regens appear on my player search screen so it is just a case of filtering your player search to having the maximum age being 16.

When you go on the player search screen all you get is Basque players and the 16y/o Spaniards that are interested so not much needs to be changed. I just occasionally scroll down the page to see if there are any ones based abroad that I may have not seen - I have only found one so far!

Basically I feel as though as long as you do your main player search on the week of the regen intake thats all you need to do with maybe a few quick sporadic searches during the season to see if there are any transfer listed bargains to maybe help your B team during the season - as ever with Bilbao it is all about developing players rather than buying them.

Oh and Gonzalo Higuain isnt Basque - he is part French in the game but not Basque.

Thanks, seems like maybe only a few foreign players being eligible is realistic and the focus really should be Spain and part of France.

Higuain in real life does have Basque heritage but maybe FM either doesn't know or don't feel he is eligible to play so don't feel the need to expand on the fact he was born in France (can't blame them, I remember the 2 Higuain brothers in earlier FM's choosing different countries to play for :) ).

I'll probably focus a lot of time improving the Youth Coaching to create good players (I did have decent success with this at Sociedad).

Again, great story. Hope you find Aitor's heir!

Thanks, seems like maybe only a few foreign players being eligible is realistic and the focus really should be Spain and part of France.

Higuain in real life does have Basque heritage but maybe FM either doesn't know or don't feel he is eligible to play so don't feel the need to expand on the fact he was born in France (can't blame them, I remember the 2 Higuain brothers in earlier FM's choosing different countries to play for :) ).

I'll probably focus a lot of time improving the Youth Coaching to create good players (I did have decent success with this at Sociedad).

Again, great story. Hope you find Aitor's heir!
That may be a data issue since it appears to me he has Basque heritage after some searching.

images

Man crying after looking up the ladies shorts and seeing a sausage! lol

FEBRUARY

This month was filled with extremely hard games as we played Sociedad, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Lyon away plus Real Madrid at home so it came as no surprise that our long winning run came to an end (48 games).

Injuries have taken their toll as 5 players who normally are first picks are out but the title is all but wrapped up so it shouldnt be too costly.

---------------------------------------------------

Real Sociedad 1-2 Athletic Bilbao
Muniain, Inigo Martinez

This was a very tough game in which we needed a late goal to clinch the 3pts. Unfortunately Muniain got injured and is out for 3-4 weeks.

Atletico Madrid 0-2 Athletic Bilbao
Asenjo (og), Cabrera (og)

Own goals in the 2nd minute of normal time and the 2nd minute of stoppage time did the trick!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sevilla 1-3 Athletic Bilbao
Ortega, Artola 2

Artola came off the bench to net twice and win us the game here

Athletic Bilbao 3-1 Real Madrid
Herrera, Artola, Ortega

A great win!!!! After Artola's exploits in the previous game I started him up top and he rose to the occasion however Bernal got injured and is out for 2 months.

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 1st Leg

Lyon 5-4 Athletic Bilbao
Artola 2, Valdez (og), Bonilla

My first game of the season that I dont win!!!!!! It was a thrilling game in which we led 3-2 and were behind 5-3! Lacazette scored 4 for them. In tonights other game Chelsea beat Spartak Moscow 5-4 and the Moscow forward scored 4!!!

Barcelona 2-2 Athletic Bilbao
Artola, Gerpe

We were without Muniain, Ortega, Bernal, Vera and San Jose who all wouldve started so to avoid defeat is great - even at the expense of our 100% league record. El Shaarawy put them ahead after 7min but Artola soon levelled. In the 2nd half we took the lead when sub Gerpe scored against his old team but Laranjeira equalised with 2min left frustratingly!!!!

Athletic Bilbao 4-1 Almeria
Ortega, Gerpe, Inigo Martinez, Bueno

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ENEKO ARTOLA

View attachment 290461

View attachment 290462

Must be some kinda game malfunction, is your disc scratched??

SI are counteracting your game to stop it becoming the best of alltime haha. Still a very good month normally though.

images

MARCH

March came and went with the youth intake being the highlight as usual but this time I only offered 2 players contracts but they had a PA rating of 5 stars and 4 and a half stars.....
View attachment 290605View attachment 290607

There wasnt much elsewhere in the country unless I missed some peeps!!

---------------------------------------------------------

Getafe 1-2 Athletic Bilbao
Muniain 2

Iker returns and scores twice as we get the points.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 5-1 Deportivo La Coruna
Griezmann, Herrera, Ortega, Muniain 2

Another 5 goal first half haul except this time we conceded in the first 45min also!

--------------------------------------------------------------

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg

Athletic Bilbao (4) 4-2 Lyon (5)
Martinez, Herrera, Muniain, Reverte
(Agg: 8-7)

We were 4up after 35min as we started this match on fire. We conceded 2 late goals but were never really in trouble of going out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Real Zaragoza 0-3 Athletic Bilbao
Muniain, Vazquez (pen), Herrera

Another nice win. Although this game was played on the 17th it is our last game of the month.

-------------------------------------------------------------

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN
images

View attachment 290602

----------------------------------------------------------
images

SPAIN

UEFA European Championship Quals Group F

Spain 2-0 Bosnia & Herzegovina
Ortega, Herrera

Back