Status
Not open for further replies.
take the stoke job mate please lol :p. you should do well with them

Walessite.png

Craig Bellamy out for 4 weeks

Craig-Bellamy-006.jpg

Craig Bellamy has been impressive for Wales so far under Ryan Giggs

Wales and Cardiff striker Craig Bellamy is out for 4 weeks after suffering a twisted ankle in training in the build up to the Carling Four Nations Cup.

Wales will be without influential striker Craig Bellamy after he suffered a training ground injury that will leave him on the sidelines for around 4 weeks, that will mean he will miss both Carling Cup games against Ireland, and Northern Ireland. Craig Bellamy has been in fine form so far this season for the Bluebirds scoring 8 goals in 44 appearances after spending most of the season based on the flanks for Cardiff. This is indeed a massive blow for the Welsh who are attempting to win their first international competition in their history.

linebreak.png

Sky_Sports.png

images.jpg

Wales vs Ireland

AvivaStadium.jpg

Hello and welcome to Sky Sports coverage of a Carling Four Nations Cup Match between Wales and Ireland, a match where the winner will become the first Four Nations Cup holders. I'm Jeff Stelling and we are once again expecting a fabulous atmosphere here with Wales bringing 20,000 fans over the Irish sea to attempt to win their first ever international competition.

Both teams won their opening match so far in this competition with Wales beating Scotland 1 - 0 thanks to that wonderful free kick from Ryan Giggs, and Ireland defeated Northern Ireland after Ciaran Clark and Kevin Doyle scored to make it 2 - 1. After Wales defeated England in their last international they will be looking at carrying their form into this match. Wales will once again be hoping for an inspirational performance from Ryan Giggs who has just been buoyed by Manchester United winning their 19th League Title. I am joined here by current Wales international Craig Bellamy after he suffered an injury in the build up to this match and was forced to withdraw from the squad. I am also here with ex Manchester United and Ireland Captain Roy Keane. Craig what do you think of Wales' chances against Ireland today?

"Under Ryan Giggs, the performances from the lads have been nothing short of incredible and I have belief in the lads out there today. I really think they can beat the Irish and claim this silverware. I feel that we have been a handful for every team we have played so far, and beating the English in our last match has really lifted the lads, we all have an extra belief and truly have faith in Ryan Giggs leading us to glory."

Well here comes to Ireland team sheet and its an interesting one from Trappatoni.

linebreak.png

Ireland Lineup:

FAICrestGreen051004.jpg

irelandlineup.png

linebreak.png

Ireland line up in a 4 - 4 - 2 attacking formation and clearly look like they are going to try to take the game to Wales. In central midfield there's Wigan's young James McCarthy who has impressed so far this season and is drawing the attention of some big clubs. What do you think of the Irish line up then Roy?

"Well looking at the line up you can see that there is certainly some talent there, they have the pace of Seamus Coleman on the right who will be looking to attack Wales' left back Neil Taylor at every occasion and I feel that he should be winning that battle. Aiden McGeady on the right who will be floating around as he likes to do and get involved with the build up play will certainly keep the Wales right back busy for the game. The player I like the most in that line up has to be young James McCarthy he has fantastic ability, he can pick a pass and will look to push forward whenever he can. There is certainly a question mark over a purposeful ball winner in the midfield for Ireland I feel a Keith Andrews figure might have been more suited to play alongside young McCarthy I feel that's the only real drawback with this formation."

Certainly some good points you have there and now its time to turn our attention to the Welsh line up which has just arrived and also has an interesting edge to it.

linebreak.png

Wales Lineup:

NewWalesCrestcopy.jpg

waleslineup-1.png

linebreak.png

So Ryan Giggs and Robbie Savage both involved yet again for Wales, and unusually Aaron Ramsey in starting on the right flank for Wales likely to be playing a wide midfielder role rather than the more traditional winger. Jack Collison once again starts on the bench for Wales. What do you make of this line up then Craig?

"I like the look of that line up tonight, they will no doubt be looking for Bale and Giggs to be the main link up targets with Savage, Vaughan and Ramsey playing a deeper roll and keeping possession something we have improved alot recently, we actually are beginning to control games and I have every confidence in Wales. Once again the main man for us will indeed be Ryan he has been involved in everything that has been good about us so far. An unsung hero in the Wales team for me is Wayne Hennessey he has put in some great performances for us since returning as first choice keeper and has also done well to become Wolves first choice keeper this season. I predict a Wales win, but a tight one 2 - 1.

So with both of our pundits predicting a tight affair, its time to go off to our touch line reporter Geoff Shreaves who's with Wales boss Ryan Giggs.

linebreak.png

pics-image-5-917983074.jpg

Geoff: Ryan, you have picked an interesting team tonight, with Aaron Ramsey coming in for the injured Craig Bellamy what was the thinking there?

Ryan: Well I feel that Aaron has worked incredibly hard for us and has looked very good in training and I wanted to start him tonight, he is starting on the right but he will most likely come in field and get involved as much as possible, with his ability he can play in several positions on the pitch.

Geoff: How important is it that you get a result in this game today, I mean if you won you would win the first silverware for Wales in their history.

Ryan: Well I am just focusing on the game at the moment but I have said to the players that we are fighting for the pride of our nation and once this team wins something they will just want to continue in that and I feel that we have a good chance tonight we have a strong team out there and have every opportunity.

Geoff: This is our first chance to congratulate you on your highest scoring season ever for Manchester United, what do you put your maintained form and still being able to put in match winning performances for 21 years?

Ryan: Well I have made sure to look after myself very well, and I think not playing in major competitions with Wales has extended my career but I feel that now is the time for us to qualify for one and that will be back on our mind over the coming months but for today our aim is to beat Ireland.

linebreak.png

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

take the stoke job mate please lol :p. you should do well with them

I am tempted mate, but I think for now I am going to focus on Wales, because in the story Giggs is still playing for United and I think the work load would be too great for him, and make the story less believable!!! Other than that I would be very tempted.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:39 PM ----------

Skysportslogo.png

Wales romp to 3 - 1 win

Giggs-Wales.jpg

Ryan Giggs scores as Wales ease to victory

Wales eased to victory against an Ireland side that lacked passion and failed to step up to the mark at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

The 20,000 Wales fans who made the trip to Dublin to watch their side could still be heard for over an hour after the match finished as Wales romped to victory. The match started in the worst possible way as James McCarthy who was making his 9th cap for Ireland clumsily barged over Gareth Bale in the box. Ryan Giggs stepped up to the stop and had the opportunity his 11th goal for Wales since returning from retirement. Experienced Goal Keeper Shay Given however read the direction and punched the shot away to be cleared. A close call for Ireland who were hoping to start focusing on the game in hand.

James McCarthy was then having an influence at the opposite and after firing a free kick from range for Wayne Hennessey to get across well and push the wall away for a corner. Wales then got a second chance to score from the penalty spot after Ashley Williams was brought down by Richard Dunne in the penalty box, Ryan Giggs took his time and fired the ball in the same direction down low to the keepers right and in beat Given. Almost immediately after the kick off Shay Given took a goal kick and Neil Taylor won a header to put Sam Vokes clean through, he didn't manage to keep his composure and fired just wide.

Ryan Giggs then made it 2 - 0 to Wales after firing in a 35 yard shot from range as Sam Vokes pulled the ball back to him, and it beat Shay Given. An incredible strike from an incredible player, Wales were in complete control and showing it in the early stages of the match. Wales very nearly made it 3 - 0 as Gareth Bale bombed forward down the left flank and crossed to David Vaughan who fired the ball at the bar from 5 yards, a golden opportunity to increase their lead yet again.

Wales' third finally came in the 40th minute when Ryan Giggs picked up the ball in space and dribbled through the Irish defence to play it past the keeper to Sam Vokes who had an empty net to slot the ball into. It was game over with the first half being drawn to a close. Many Welsh fans had their heads in their hands after Tottenham sensation Gareth Bale has been ruled out until August with a broken foot after a tough challenge from John O'Shea.

Ireland were handed a lifeline however after Neil Taylor headed the ball clear from an Irish corner for Robbie Keane to pick the ball up in space and fire an unstoppable shot from range past an outstretched Wayne Hennessey. It was however only a consolation as Wales were the only side really in the game and continued to create chances but did not manage to capitalise but it was enough as Wales had stormed to victory in a match that many had predicted to be a tough challenge.

IrelandvWalesSplitView.png

IrelandvWalesstats.png

Attendance: 51,650​

linebreak.png

Wales vs Ireland - Post Match Reaction

340x-1-1.jpg

"Tonight was a great performance by the lads, we well and truly dominated the game and looked secure for the whole time. It was only a long range effort that they managed to score against us, which on another day we might have charged down. But I am delighted with the way we played. I was happy getting on the score sheet and getting another two for the team, I am disappointed to have missed the penalty but Shay is a great keeper and it takes a good penalty to beat him. We now have a game in two days against Northern Ireland which will also be a tough match, but we are really happy to have won this match and leaves us on 6 points so far in the group.

Gareth_Bale_402521a.jpg

Gareth Bale returns to Spurs after suffering broken foot

Gareth Bale's injury is a massive loss for us, it was a tough tackle that came in from John O'Shea and Gareth certainly suffered the consequences but he will be returning to Tottenham and they will take things further, he should be back in time for our friendly against Senegal at the end of the summer, but we are all behind him and hope that he has a speedy recovery."

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

BBC.png

images.jpg

Wales vs Northern Ireland

AvivaStadium.jpg

Hello and welcome to BBC Sports coverage of the final Carling Nations Cup match between Wales and Northern Ireland. After this match, regardless of the outcome, Wales will be collecting their trophy after defeating Ireland 3 - 1 in their previous game.

I am joined with the normal Match of the Day crew, Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson and Alan Shearer to analyse Wales' chances in this final match. First of all its time to look at the results so far in this competition.

Wales 1 - 0 Scotland
Wales 3 - 1 Ireland

Northern Ireland 1 - 2 Ireland
Northern Ireland 0 - 0 Scotland

As we can see Wales have won their previous two matches in this competition and Northern Ireland are yet to record a victory. Alan (Shearer) what do you make of the chances of Wales in this match against Northern Ireland.

"Well when you look at the 26 man squads, despite Gareth Bale's injury and the missing Craig Bellamy I feel that the strength of Wales is superior to Northern Ireland. I think that Wales will play a high tempo and move the ball around which they have the ability to do as well as the confidence to believe they can do it. I expect a hard fought match as I don't expect Northern Ireland to want to leave this competition without a victory so they will be giving it everything they've got. Wales could suffer from a bit of complacency knowing that they have already won the competition and its up to new boss Ryan Giggs to keep the Welsh players feet on the ground."

Ok Alan sorry to stop you there but the Northern Ireland team sheet has just arrived.

linebreak.png

Northern Ireland Lineup:

Northern-Ireland-National-Football-Team-Couleur-Crest.jpg

NILineup.png

Looking at the Northern Ireland formation its clear to see that they want to give it a go tonight, with Kyle Lafferty, Lee Hughes and Martin Paterson all starting. Manchester United Johnny Evans and Cory Evans also lineup in the Northern Ireland team as they look to get one over on their own club's legend. What do you make of their lineup Mark?

"Well as you said they certainly look like they want to be giving it a go tonight against Wales, they have alot of attack minded players on the pitch. Chris Brunt is my pick of the players he has the ability to make something out of nothing, and really has impressed this season in the premiership despite West Brom being relegated, he was their clear stand out player. I think Wales will certainly have a game on their hands today. I predict a 1 - 1 draw."

Now time to look at the Wales lineup which has just arrived.

linebreak.png

NewWalesCrestcopy.jpg

WalesLineupNI.png

And here is the line up there are two changes from the side that swept aside Northern Ireland with Jack Collison coming in for Aaron Ramsey and Joe Ledley coming in for the injured Gareth Bale. From my view it certainly looks like Wales might lack some width as Joe Ledley has developed into more of a central player over the last few years at Cardiff and now at Celtic. Whilst Jack Collison as versatile as he is, is not a winger. Alan (Hansen) what do you make of this team?

"Well after me incorrectly criticising Ryan Giggs at the start of the season I think I will have to pick my words carefully. But I do like the look of the line up I feel that Jack Collison can cope on the right flank as he is an extremely hard worker who will no doubt be able to get forward whenever possible to help Wales create chances. I do however feel that there will be some tired players in the Wales line up and this could cause them some problems. I predict a tight result and go for Wales 2 - 1, I feel that their quality will shine through but I do expect Northern Ireland to get a goal."

It looks like a tight game is predicted today, but lets hope its going to be an exciting one, its now time to join our touch line reporter Jonathan Pearce who's with Wales player/manager Ryan Giggs.

linebreak.png

Giggs_415.jpg

Jonathan: Hello Ryan, looks like an interesting line up you have gone with today what are the thoughts behind it?

Ryan: Well we predicted a tough game today we have not had long to recover from the match against Ireland. I have picked this team to bring some fresh faces on the wings, Jack has impressed me again and comes in for Aaron who picked up a slight knock and has not managed to recover in time, but I feel that this team is strong enough to get the job done tonight.

Jonathan: With Northern Ireland looking to attack you tonight, judging by their line up what do you expect from them?

Ryan: I feel that they will certainly get in our faces and give us a tough game, but its up to us to keep calm and retain possession of the ball, it will be hard out there.

Jonathan: Well good luck and thanks for your time.

linebreak.png

BBC.png

Wales leave it late as Ryan pops up yet again

ryan_giggs.jpg

Ryan Giggs scores in 2nd minute of injury time as Wales leave it late

In a match that Wales could have run away with it took an injury time strike from Ryan Giggs to separate Wales from Northern Ireland tonight.

Wales started the game the stronger as Joe Ledley had a headed effort tipped over the bar by Nottingham Forest keeper Lee Camp. Wales continued to pressure Northern Ireland trying to get an early goal, but it was Gavin McCan who came closest in the early minutes as he had a fierce shot from the edge of the box saved well by Wayne Hennessey.

Ryan Giggs had a 14th minute long range effort punched away by Lee Camp, who was becoming a vital figure at holding Wales at bay in the early stages. It was Ashley Williams who next caused Northern Ireland problems when his headed effort just clipped the bar with a stranded Lee Camp looking up in despair. Northern Ireland's game plan of throwing men forward was causing them all sorts of problems as Robbie Savage picked up a stray pass and fired a 35 yard effort narrowly over the bar.

With the first half looking like it would end up goalless it was Northern Ireland that finally broke the deadlock when Chris Brunt got up well at the far post and beat Neil Taylor in the air after a great Martin Paterson cross came in from the left.

The chances then continued to come for Northern Ireland as in the second half Chris Brunt headed against the bar early on and nearly made it 2 - 0 to the Northern Irish. Wales began to throw more men forward then in an effort to get back into the game and came close when Celtic's Joe Ledley fired a right footed shot against the bar with Lee Camp once again beaten watching the ball bounce out for a goal kick.

It was in the 63rd minute when a goal finally game after Jack Collison worked the ball well down the right and put a fantastic ball to the edge of the six yard box where there was Sam Vokes to head past the stranded Lee Camp. Once this goal went in there looked like there would only be one winner, as substitute Andy King came close when Lee Camp punched his effort out for a corner kick.

With the game looking like it was going to peter out for a corner it was that man again Ryan Giggs who popped up in the second minute of injury time to score a dramatic late winner after a Joe Ledley cross found him on the edge of the six yard box to finish neatly past Lee Camp. There was a massive cheer from the crowd when this goal went in as it meant that Wales had won the Carling Nations Cup with an immaculate record.

Playing 3 - Winning 3 and Scoring 6 goals in the process.

NIScore.png

NIStats.png

Attendance: 51,600​

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

1562.jpg

Saturday 28th May 2011

linebreak.png

nationscup_trophy_trophy.jpg

Wales lift Carling Nations Cup Trophy

After some memorable performances from Ryan Giggs Wales lift their first international trophy after winning all of the Carling Nations Cup games.

Wales last night lifted the Carling Nations Cup with Wales boss Ryan Giggs describing it as "One of the greatest moments of my career." This is Ryan Giggs' first trophy when playing for Wales.

FinalTable.png

Wales dominated the group after winning all three of their matches. With some inspirational performances from Ryan Giggs who scored 4 goals in Wales' 3 Four Nations Cup matches, set Wales on their way to winning the competition. Ryan Giggs had this to say after the winning the competition.

"This is a great day to be Welsh, we stepped up to the plate and won the cup, now the players have the taste of victory and will want to experience this again. This gives us a great lift off for our team, we have some important friendlies coming up over the summer and then its time to focus back on our European dream. I fully believe that we can achieve success in this competition."

linebreak.png

Talksprot.png

Robbie Savage steps into Pivotal Role

92b53a7180858fb6349a6bf2ef1897ec.jpg

After Wales' victory against Northern Ireland in the Carling Nations Cup many pundits have stated that they believe Robbie Savage is stepping into a pivotal role into the Wales sides. It was another fine performance.

Bringing Robbie Savage out of retirement has been described as a master stroke by Match of the Day pundit Alan Hansen describes Robbie Savage as being an integral piece of Ryan Giggs' jigsaw. Since coming out of retirement Robbie Savage has put in some memorable performances, bringing a bit of grit to the otherwise talented Welsh midfield.

Here is an exclusive TalkSport interview with Robbie Savage.

_48996277_savage_ontosh_640.jpg

Interviewer: So Robbie you have made 10 appearances since coming out of retirement and have forced yourself back into the starting 11, how does it feel?

Robbie: First of all I'd like to give a massive thank you to Ryan Giggs, for giving me this opportunity, I felt that I had unfinished business with international side.

Interviewer: Many now see you as the glue that holds the Wales midfield together allowing the more attack minded players to get forward whilst you can give protection to the back four.

Robbie: Well I feel that my role is that exactly I bring other players into play and attempt to win back the ball. I know I have been successful at doing this or I wouldn't be sitting here speaking to you about playing for Wales.

Interviewer: Indeed it has been a fantastic return to International football for you, with the Carling Nations Cup won how do you feel?

Robbie: Its unbelievable I never thought I would get the opportunity to win a trophy with Wales, and it's all thanks to Ryan for giving me the opportunity, we now play an exciting brand of football and have revitalised a sport that was dieing a slow death in Wales. The interest is back and the fans are all behind us, its incredible the number of fans that are travelling with us to away matches.

Interviewer: Would you agree that it has been experience that Wales has been lacking under the previous management, as since you and Ryan Giggs with a combined age of 73 have returned there has been success.

Robbie: Well I would have to say that I believe Ryan has had a far greater impact than me, but I do feel that I have the ability to influence the midfield and I would have to agree I mean I made no effort to hide my dislike of the previous management and feel that Ryan has brought some intelligence to Wales' management team, which is great news for us.

Interviewer: Well thanks for the interview Robbie.

linebreak.png

Last edited:
ain't been about for a couple of days but came straight on to find your story! taken off brilliantly! fantastic wins and giggs on fire! awesome bud keep it up :D

Ivory Coast, American Samoa and Senegal, arranged by my Assistant as gave him that duty.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

ain't been about for a couple of days but came straight on to find your story! taken off brilliantly! fantastic wins and giggs on fire! awesome bud keep it up :D

Cheers mate, :) yeh still going strong, will do an update soon of the friendlies mentioned.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Walessite.png

Wales-1.png

Wales Summer Friendlies

ManchesterUnitedTrainingPressConference9i565b2GHyal.jpg

Ryan Giggs training with Wales ahead of friendlies

With the 2010/11 season completed it's time to look ahead to the Euro 2012 Qualifiers starting in September, Wales have arranged friendlies against American Samoa, Ivory Coast and Senegal.

With the Wales squad meeting up without the injured Craig Bellamy and Gareth Bale prepare for their first friendly against an American Samoa side they will be hoping to win against. With Ryan Giggs currently on 25 goals in 74 games for Wales will be looking at adding to that total in the coming matches with the Welsh record held by Ian Rush. Assistant Manager Mike Phelan spoke regarding the coming Wales friendlies.

linebreak.png

WestHamUnitedvManchesterUnitedPremierjP6yIs8ofCom.jpg

"With the coming friendlies we feel these matches will give us the opportunity to get some more experience in vital area's of the squad. Aaron Ramsey has been coming into form and no doubt with the coming season will be looking at fighting for a place in the Arsenal starting 11. With Gareth Bale and Craig Bellamy missing the first two friendlies it will be the opportunity for other players to show us what they can do."

linebreak.png

Friendly No. 1

Wales vs American Samoa

american-samoa-flag-1.png

Wales Lineup:

WalesLineupNI.png

Prediction: 3 - 0 Wales

linebreak.png

Hat-trick for Ryan Giggs as Wales romp to victory

Giggs-Wales.jpg

Result

Wales - 5
Joe Ledley (18)
Ryan Giggs (24, 46, 69)
David Vaughan (40)
James Collins injured (14)

American Samoa - 0
Robby Kortti injured (45+4)

Match Summary

In a match dominated by Wales in was Ryan Giggs who came to the forefront as he scored an incredible hat-trick to equal Ian Rush' record of 28 international goals for Wales. The only downside to the match was James Collins who had to limp off on 14 minutes after suffering a hamstring injury that will leave him out of Wales' next friendly against Ivory Coast in 4 days. Ryan Giggs expertly dribbled between 3 Samoan defenders before firing his first past the keeper. The second came after pouncing on the rebound of David Vaughan's speculative effort from range. The final goal came from the rebound when Sam Vokes had a powerful close range shot blocked by the keeper for Ryan Giggs to pick it up and dribble around a defender before slotting home.

linebreak.png

Friendly No. 2

Wales vs Ivory Coast

istockphoto_5860623-ivory-coast-flag-vector-button.jpg

Wales Lineup:

WalesvsIvoryCoastLineup.png

Prediction: 2 - 1 Ivory Coast

linebreak.png

Ryan Giggs scores late winner as Wales come from behind to beat Ivory Coast

Result

Wales - 3
Danny Collins (8)
Ryan Giggs (pen 79, 83)

Ivory Coast - 2
Danny Collins own goal (31)
Didier Drogba (53)

Match Summary

The game started in the best possible way as Stoke's Danny Collins who came in for the injured James Collins scored a headed effort from a Ryan Giggs corner. He then scored a second, this time however it was in his own net, to draw Ivory Coast level. Didier Drogba then scored a headed goal from a free kick that was pumped into the box. Ryan Giggs then got his 29th Wales goal from the spot after Arsenal's Emmanuel Eboue brings him down in the box with a harsh challenge in the 79th minute for Ryan to slot home with consummate ease. The winner then came after Ryan Giggs picked up the ball in his own half and charging forward before unleashing an unstoppable shot from 35 yards to beat the despairing Ivory Coast Keeper.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmeLXsVxgJk"]Ryan Giggs Strike[/ame]

linebreak.png

BBC.png

Ryan Giggs becomes Wales record goalscorer

_40965905_giggs.jpg

Wales legend Ryan Giggs has been a sensation since returning from retirement

Today's double see's Manchester United and Wales legend move 2 goals ahead of Ian Rush's international 28 goal record.

Ryan Giggs has been in incredible form since coming out of international retirement, scoring 18 goals in 12 matches. An incredible feat for someone believed to be in the twilight of his career and begin winding down his career after so much success with Manchester United. Ryan Giggs has released a statement after scoring today's double.

"I still cannot believe that I have achieved this, since returning I feel that the team has been the major contributing factor to me scoring so many goals. The team have been working so hard and it's just incredible to be viewed in the same way as Ian Rush for Wales. I feel I have a few more years in me, so will keep going and trying to push the Welsh team forward. I feel it's always good to have a Captain that leads from the front and that's what I have been trying to do."

linebreak.png

Friendly No. 3

Wales vs Senegal

senegal-flag.png

Wales Lineup:

WalesvsSenegal.png

Prediction: 2 - 1 Wales

linebreak.png

Gareth Bale stars as Wales romp to 3 - 0 victory

balewales.png

Result

Wales - 3
Gareth Bale (11)
Ryan Giggs (pen 70)
Aaron Ramsey (88)

Senegal - 0

Match Summary

In a match completely dominated by Wales it was Gareth Bale who shone as he opened the scoring in the 11th minute after scoring a powerful volley from a Sam Vokes knock down. This brings a close to Wales' summer friendlies and they will certainly be happy with the way in which they have handled themselves against some strong opponents.

This match was also a landmark match for Robbie Savage who won his 50th international cap for Wales after playing 11 times since his return last year. He had this to say.

"It's a great achievement for me, I am incredibly grateful for Ryan Giggs bringing me out of retirement and me being able to show that I am not finished despite what many pundits have said I can still be a valuable asset to this team. I hope to continue playing as long as I feel my body will allow me to"

linebreak.png

Walessite.png

Wales-1.png

Wales look ahead to Euro 2012 fixtures

Euro-2012.jpg

Wales look ahead to an important Autumn fixture list ahead of their qualification dreams.

2.9.2011 - Montenegro - Home
6.9.2011 - England - Away
7.10.2011 - Switzerland - Home
11.10.2011 - Bulgaria - Away

Wales will certainly be hoping to win their home games, and if they manage this they will have a great opportunity to qualify for a major tournament.

linebreak.png

Last edited:
FM GOD? Easily one of the best stories on here buddy! keep up the work and detail! Brilliant :D

FM GOD? Easily one of the best stories on here buddy! keep up the work and detail! Brilliant :D

Cheers mate, love the feedback, don't know about FM God lol, you and your transfers are godly!!!!

Cheers mate, love the feedback, don't know about FM God lol, you and your transfers are godly!!!!

I'd beg to differ! your results are tremendous aint lost a game! as Wales thats impressive! :D

Last edited:
I'd bed to differ! your results are tremendous aint lost a game! as Wales thats impressive!

haha don't jynx me now!!!! Got some tough ones coming up!!

Skysportslogo.png

Wales name Cardiff schoolboy in Euro 2012 Squad

808e9378926845c68205f16dac7dc24d-1.jpg

Shock as Wales include 16 year old Cardiff born Marc Jones in 26 man squad for Euro 2012 Qualifying games.

Ryan Giggs has shocked the press when an unknown 16 year old from Cardiff City was named in their 26 man squad. Many fans will be wondering who this 16 year old is, with only Cardiff fans knowing of his name and the rumoured ability that he has.

linebreak.png

Marc Jones Factfile

MarcJonesHead.png

MarcJonescontract.png

MarcJonesStats-1.png

Marc Jones is a central midfield player who has been blessed with pace, agility and balance. David Jones has already described him as a fantastic prospect and believes he can reach incredible heights. He is a technically gifted footballer who also has the work ethic to bring his potential to fruition. As a child he was a defender but has eventually grown into being a midfield player as his passing and technical ability has shone through as he was able to control games with ease. He played his Cardiff City debut this season on 23rd August when he scored a fantastic effort from range, Wales boss Ryan Giggs was attending this match as Dave Jones had been rumoured to have contacted him in an attempt to draw his attention.

linebreak.png

Marc Jones has released a statement since joining up with the Wales squad ahead of the qualifying matches against Montenegro and England yesterday.

"It's an unbelievable feeling, I never thought I would have the opportunity to be included in the Wales squad at such a young age. I have been working hard in training and Dave Jones gave me a chance to show what I can do and that has got me recognised. I am still finding it hard to believe, I would love to get the opportunity to play, but just being part of the squad has been incredible."

Last edited:
quality regen mate, and great story, this and the Livingston one are my fave!

Walessite.png

Euro-2012.jpg

Wales vs Montenegro

With the domestic leagues starting again, its also time for Wales to return to the job of playing their European 2012 Qualifying matches, and this starts with a home match to Montenegro.

Wales tonight play Montenegro at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, and there's a fabulous atmosphere out there the fans know that if Wales win this game then they'll be in the driving seat in the group on 15 points from their first 5 group games, which will be an incredible feat for a team that at the start of the campaign was billed to struggle. Ryan Giggs was speaking to our reporter ahead of tonight's match.

linebreak.png

"Tonight's game is going to be an intense affair. Montenegro know that they have to perform in all of their remaining qualifying games to have any hope of getting through these stages so will no doubt be up for tonight's game. I have confidence in my players to go out there and perform tonight, if we win then the group is in our hands, we have a tricky game on Tuesday against England but for now it's time to focus on Montenegro."

linebreak.png

Euro 2012 Qualifying

Wales vs Montenegro

montenegro-flag.png

Wales Lineup:

waleslineup.png

Prediction: 2 - 1 Wales

linebreak.png

Ryan Giggs blasts Wales into Group G Control

wales-giggs-1.jpg

Result

Wales - 1

Ryan Giggs (35)
David Vaughan injured (7)

Montenegro - 0

Match Summary

In a match that Wales were hoping to dominate it was the brilliance of their 37 year old Captain Ryan Giggs who single handedly took the game by the scruff of the neck and blasted in a 25 yard screamer to clinch victory. Wales huffed and puffed for long periods of the match but couldn't create any clear cut chances for their attacking players. The game will be overshadowed after David Vaughan suffered a calf strain and will be out of Wales' vital qualifier against England on Tuesday.

linebreak.png

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

quality regen mate, and great story, this and the Livingston one are my fave!

Yeh I wasn't sure if I should call him up as I wanted to do it with the main players but I thought may as well give him a go!!!

Cheers as well mate :) Got a good few updates coming up. I've finished qualifying just got to do the matches.

nice update mate! good youth talent coming through :D and another victory! awesome KIU! :D

nice update mate! good youth talent coming through :D and another victory! awesome KIU! :D

Cheers mate, tough trip to Wembley next and David Vaughan's injured so going to be tough!!!

Very, very bad story with horrible layout....

Kidding man...

Easily the best in here (both international and club stories counted). Surpasses mine (which was updated like a minute ago) by around five miles at least. And as Wales, winning every game is damned good. What rank are you in the world atm?

linebreak.png

Sky_Sports.png

linebreak.png

Euro-2012.jpg

England vs Wales

new-wembley-stadium.jpg

Wembley Stadium ahead of the match

Hello I'm Jeff Stelling and welcome to Sky Sports coverage of England vs Wales in a match many are calling the Group G decider. We are at Wembley Stadium and it's just about full ahead of tonight's high anticipated match between two rival nations.

Here joining me today ahead of the match between England and Wales is ex Liverpool and England International Jamie Redknapp, as well as ex Celtic, Arsenal and Wales star John Hartson, and finally ex Manchester United and England hero David Beckham who has recently retired from club football. David what do you make of Ryan's switch from player to manager?

David Beckham on Ryan's move to management

david-beckham-interview-pic-screengrab-yahoo-854854637.jpg

"I think it's incredible what he's done with Wales, I mean when he took over no one would have expected him to have had the success that he has. within a year he had won a trophy for them, all be it the Carling Nations Cup but still it's a great achievement! Ryan always has been a great leader, he inspires people around him when they see what he can do, and at his age its an honour for us still to be able to watch him playing. Wales have climbed from 85th position on the World Rankings to 25th so far and if they qualify for the Euro's then there is a chance they will move even higher. I certainly think England will have a tough game today regardless of what many people have said in the build up to the game."

Thanks for that David, he has indeed brought great success to a small nation that is Wales. Now its time to turn our attention to a young Cardiff born lad who recently made his international debut against Montenegro he came on for a couple of minutes at the end of the match, and has had many reporters and people dazzled. He is a certain Marc Jones who currently plays for Cardiff City and just turned 16 on the 20th August. Jamie what do you make of him?

Jamie Redknapp on Wales and Marc Jones

Jamie-Redknapp-001.jpg

"Well Jeff I think that tonight would be a harsh game to throw him into and no doubt Ryan will be thinking of maybe bringing him on towards the end of the game to replace some tired legs. I have had a look at Marc for Cardiff and he certainly looks like a player, great composure on the ball, has the eye for a pass and is technically gifted. He will no doubt be a fantastic player for Wales, and regardless of whether he plays today just being involved with the national team and experiencing all of the match preparation should certainly help him and help him develop. It's an incredible atmosphere out there tonight with the England fans wanting revenge to the shock defeat at Cardiff in March..."

Sorry to cut you short Jamie but the England lineup has just come in and here it is.

linebreak.png

England Lineup:

3042D339-BCA7-1277-E4CE7FE65B42CCA0.jpg

EnglandvsWales.png

linebreak.png

So a much stronger team out there tonight than the one that Wales played against in March with the inclusion of Steven Gerrard and John Terry as well as Gareth Barry coming in for Michael Carrick who started in the last game. Theo Walcott also starts up front for England today. What do you make of this line up then Jamie?

"I quite like the look of this line up There's plenty of pace and power there, and if England did feel the need they could always rotate to a 4 - 5 1 with Walcott and Johnson on the wings and Gerrard moving more central. But I think that this line up is alot stronger than before, it's got plenty of pace and power and more of a spark now that Gerrard's returned who has been in fantastic form both last season and this season so far. With John Terry back in defence I really don't see Wales being able to score today unless that man Ryan Giggs pops up with something magical."

Hmm, certainly interesting views there Jamie, I think it's safe to say that England have to go for it in this game tonight. What do you think David?

"I think Jamie touched on some of the points but I think that Steven Gerrard will have a big influence on this game for England, he has been in unbelievable form for club and recently scored against Holland in a friendly over the summer, so I think confidence is high in the English dressing room. It's an incredible experienced line up out there today with Frank Lampard, John Terry, Ferdinand and Ashley Cole so I am expecting a strong performance from them. I like Walcott being started as I think his pace will cause the Welsh defenders all sorts of problems, especially as they like to play quite a high line."

Some great points there from both of you, Wales' line up has just arrived.

linebreak.png

Wales2.png

Wales Lineup:

Walesvsengland.png

linebreak.png

So Wales without one of their star midfielder's today as David Vaughan is out with a calf injury, young Marc Jones only makes the bench as expected. Aaron Ramsey comes in for Vaughan as they look to add some creativity to the midfield. What do you make of the line up John?

202613-john-hartson-family-support-got-me-through-cancer-ordeal-200x130.jpg

"Well my main worry is whether Robbie Savage will be able to cope in there today against a very fluid England midfield, Aaron Ramsey comes in and it will certainly be a challenge for him out there today. The Welsh midfield will have to work very hard to get anything from this game, with Ryan Giggs and Gareth Bale playing well. I feel that it will be an interesting battle once again between Gareth Bale and Glenn Johnson as I feel that could be where the game is won or lost. I think it's going to be a tough game."

So that's all from our three pundits and now it's time to go to our touchline reporter Geoff Shreaves who's with Ryan Giggs ahead of tonight's match.

linebreak.png

Giggs_415.jpg

Geoff: Ryan you've certainly got a challenge out there tonight, do you think you can get anything from the game?

Ryan: Well England have named a very strong line up with some players returning from injury, but I never go into a game not expecting to get anything from it. I think we can certainly get something from this game.

Geoff: Your missing David Vaughan today how much of a loss is he?

Ryan: It's a massive loss to us he is a big part of the way we play football, but I feel in Aaron Ramsey I've got someone who can step in when needs be and more than fill his shoes.

Geoff: With Robbie Savage lining up once again for you today just how long do you think yourself and Rob can carry on for, with your 38th Birthday just around the corner?

Ryan: Haha, thanks for reminding me. I just try not to think about it, my body still feels great and at the moment I feel like I can keep going, and I will until my body won't let me any more.

Geoff: Well thanks Ryan and good luck tonight.

linebreak.png

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Very, very bad story with horrible layout....

Kidding man...

Easily the best in here (both international and club stories counted). Surpasses mine (which was updated like a minute ago) by around five miles at least. And as Wales, winning every game is damned good. What rank are you in the world atm?

Thanks mate I really appreciate the comments, I'm going to read yours now.

Alot of it is about keeping the confidence up high I've found. But yeh, really excellent feedback :)

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Skysportslogo.png

Bore draw as Wales seize control of Group G

new-wembley-stadium.jpg

Ryan Giggs' side stopped England from playing for long spells

England fall out of running for top spot in Group G as Wales are on the verge of qualifying for a International finals.

In a match billed as the group decider between England and Wales, it was the defences that came out on top. It was England who started the better when after a lovely move Adam Johnson put in a fantastic cross that caused chaos in the Welsh box and forced a corner kick in the 13th minute. Adam Johnson then had a goal ruled out for offside in the 18th minute after moving a second to early. This game would turn out to be that of tight margins as Craig Bellamy missed fantastic opportunity to put Wales into the lead after a Gareth Bale cross came to him at the far post he could only manage to head over the bar when he should have done better.

Ryan Giggs caused problems all day for the England defence but was unable to put any great pressure on Joe Hart throughout the game. There were a couple of opportunities where Giggs and then Craig Bellamy fired narrowly wide from range. The best chance of the game fell to Wales in the 70th minute after Ryan Giggs slotted Sam Vokes clean through with only Joe Hart to beat but he could only find the body of the keeper as he failed to capitalise. Adam Johnson later had a half chance to put England 1 - 0 up after he was put through my Frank Lampard but Wayne Hennessey got down well to his left and and saved well. Wayne Rooney then had a 75th minute goal chalked off for a foul by Darren Bent on Wayne Hennessey with many fans believing that Wales were lucky to get off as they feel the goal clearly should have stood.

In the 80th minute many fans were delighted as they had the opportunity to see young Marc Jones who came on to replace a very tired Aaron Ramsey. During the time he came on he looked likely and got about the pitch well, and tried to get involved in the game but it was mainly England doing the pressing so his chances were limited.

Wales will be very happy with a point away from home against England at Wembley.

EnglandvWalesSplitView222.png

EnglandvWalesSplitView.png

Attendance: 89,967​

linebreak.png

Post Match Reaction

GiggsInterview.png

"I was delighted to come away today with a point, although I feel that we might have nicked a 1 - 0 but it wasn't to be. I felt that we defended incredibly well against what was a very strong England side, we struggled to cope with the movement of Wayne and the pace of Walcott in the first half, but I felt that overall it was a deserved point for us.

It was a great moment for Marc to come on even for 10 minutes in a massive match like this against England, I felt that he might be able to conjure something out of nothing for us, but we were on the back foot so it was hard for him to have an influence but I certainly think we have a great player in our midst.

We are now on 16 points with England on 13 and have a game in hand as well as a far superior goal difference, so qualification is ours to throw away now. It's time to put our heads down and focus on the next match at Cardiff against Switzerland if we win this that then we will secure qualification."

Nice update buddy, finally drawn one though! still undefeated bud (touch wood) awesome awesome awesome!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.