The Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Sunderland, Everton, Villa? Lol, they'll win them. Anyone know the odds on them winning the league now? Think it's worth a tenner.

Sunderland, Everton, Villa? Lol, they'll win them. Anyone know the odds on them winning the league now? Think it's worth a tenner.

Certainly not sure about Sunderland. Will probably win the other two, but Goodison Park in particular is a difficult place to go for the big clubs. Arsenal, Liverpool and Utd have all struggled there in the past.

EDIT: And 13/2.

I dont think spuds will win it , but they will be contenders till the end no doubt

So before the end of the season, Spurs have to visit Stamford Bridge, Anfield, Emirates, Sunderland, Everton and Villa. And they also play City and Utd at WHL.

Still think you might win the league?

Don't think any of us have claimed we will, have we?

Don't think any of us have claimed we will, have we?

Wasn't really directed at anyone specific in the thread tbh. Since I've not been around for the past three months or whatever I have no idea what you think...

I know a lot of Spurs fans who have claimed they've got a chance - Van der Vaart's just said it, too.

Perfectly reasonable question to ask, no need to be defensive about it.

Joss said:
Wasn't really directed at anyone specific in the thread tbh.

Alternatively you could ask VDV on Twitter, since that's who you seem to be addressing.

Wasn't really directed at anyone specific in the thread tbh. Since I've not been around for the past three months or whatever I have no idea what you think...

I know a lot of Spurs fans who have claimed they've got a chance - Van der Vaart's just said it, too.

He's not really being defensive about it, to be fair. Just stating a fact. And you reckon they have literally no chance at winning the league? You're writing them off far too early.

Spurs have had a wonderful midfield and a solid defence since last season. Now they've addressed their weak points in the astute signings of Friedel and Adebayor, their squad can compete with anyone's.

Would like to make a point about last nights match. I was surprised about Modric being so deep at times, and Livermore ahead of him. If Modric had been given the freedom last night instead of being as deep as he was, and had Livermore stayed back ahead of the back four, I have a feeling we would have been at the receiving end of a gubbing last night, mainly due to us giving Spurs so much space to operate with. It was like Xmas hadn't finished at times

He's not really being defensive about it, to be fair. Just stating a fact. And you reckon they have literally no chance at winning the league? You're writing them off far too early.

Spurs have had a wonderful midfield and a solid defence since last season. Now they've addressed their weak points in the astute signings of Friedel and Adebayor, their squad can compete with anyone's.

Well, no on both accounts. Not going to get into a stupid argument about who said what and who didn't.

Secondly - didn't say they have no chance. I'm saying they've got a ****** difficult run-in and I asked a genuine question about how many people still thought they might win it. Plenty of Spurs fans - whether on this forum, twitter, wherever - have said they can win it.

I still think they're a couple of injuries away from crumbling. Somehow, City arguably are too, despite the money they've spent. Same could be said about Utd, but they've got the experience and squad depth to cover injuries and grind out tough games. The winter period affects pretty much every team - players get tired, pressure mounts, etc.

Love that because I'm an Arsenal fan everything I say has to be taken as if I'm trying to troll when I'm not.

Well, no on both accounts. Not going to get into a stupid argument about who said what and who didn't.

Secondly - didn't say they have no chance. I'm saying they've got a ****** difficult run-in and I asked a genuine question about how many people still thought they might win it. Plenty of Spurs fans - whether on this forum, twitter, wherever - have said they can win it.

I still think they're a couple of injuries away from crumbling. Somehow, City arguably are too, despite the money they've spent. Same could be said about Utd, but they've got the experience and squad depth to cover injuries and grind out tough games. The winter period affects pretty much every team - players get tired, pressure mounts, etc.

Love that because I'm an Arsenal fan everything I say has to be taken as if I'm trying to troll when I'm not.

They could be a couple of players from crumbling, probably because they already have 6-7 injured players. likewise united have an entire XI out.

Spurs have a decent chance.

They could be a couple of players from crumbling, probably because they already have 6-7 injured players. likewise united have an entire XI out.

Spurs have a decent chance.

Again, didn't say anything about 2 or 3 players from a fully fit squad. Am talking about here and now. Utd have had serious defensive injuries for most of the season tbf, and somehow have kept a fairly steady run of results despite playing Carrick and Evans at CB.

Again, didn't say anything about 2 or 3 players from a fully fit squad. Am talking about here and now. Utd have had serious defensive injuries for most of the season tbf, and somehow have kept a fairly steady run of results despite playing Carrick and Evans at CB.

United have a surprisingly large squad, and its not as if we have played them there every game.

Of couse they can win it, they are tough but winnable games, would not be surprised if Redknapp gets funds from Levy this window to reinforce that challenge, especially if they can offload some players

If Spurs had won the matches against Man City, Utd and Stoke they'd be sitting pretty at the top. Testamant to how impressive they've been this season bar those losses. Glad it's this close as it makes the whole thing a lot more interesting for us neutrals

United have a surprisingly large squad, and its not as if we have played them there every game.

Of couse they can win it, they are tough but winnable games, would not be surprised if Redknapp gets funds from Levy this window to reinforce that challenge, especially if they can offload some players

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Mike - that's exactly why i think Utd have the best chance of doing well when injuries mount and the hectic winter schedule begins to take its toll on players and fans alike. City, when they get Yaya Toure back and Silva fit, IMO, will pick up where they left off in 2011 and go on to win it, with Utd a close second.

But I personally think that with Spurs' fixture list (esp. Eastlands and Emirates - where AFC will want revenge for earlier in the season and last season's collapse at home) will cause them real difficulty. Thought it was a reasonable enough question to ask how many people believed they could still win the league bearing in mind everything.

And before anyone says it, I'm talking as a neutral and not an Arsenal fan.

Predictable and incorrect assumption.

If you were a fan of any other club and posted what you did, you would have received the same replies.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Mike - that's exactly why i think Utd have the best chance of doing well when injuries mount and the hectic winter schedule begins to take its toll on players and fans alike. City, when they get Yaya Toure back and Silva fit, IMO, will pick up where they left off in 2011 and go on to win it, with Utd a close second.

But I personally think that with Spurs' fixture list (esp. Eastlands and Emirates - where AFC will want revenge for earlier in the season and last season's collapse at home) will cause them real difficulty. Thought it was a reasonable enough question to ask how many people believed they could still win the league bearing in mind everything.

And before anyone says it, I'm talking as a neutral and not an Arsenal fan.

And when Spurs get their players back they will be a formidable force, certainly have more than enough for Emirates for example.

Also all the top teams pretty much still have to play each other, and the teams immediately below them. With Spurs having the advantage of not having to play in Europe. As for the Hectic winter Schedule, its actually over for Spurs

Considering we have had problems with injuries to our centrebacks we have kept 8 clean sheets which is the same as for the whole of last season. Friedel is a major plus as well. As for challenging for the title I would say definitely top four more likely. We still have some tough games to get through but enjoying the way we play at the moment.

I have to still to come across a Spurs fan that has stated we can win the title. I think we are being more realistic with our expectations as we know supporting Spurs anything can happen.

Last edited:
Agreed. Until top four, preferably three, is mathematically secured, then that'll be the aim for practically everyone.

That doesn't mean we can't enjoy the process of playing our best football in decades.

So before the end of the season, Spurs have to visit Stamford Bridge, Anfield, Emirates, Sunderland, Everton and Villa. And they also play City and Utd at WHL.

Still think you might win the league?

Don't Villa have one of the worst home records in the League?

Points at Anfield is always a possibility if Liverpool continue to falter in front of goal. Everton and Sunderland are both beatable for a squad of Spurs standard, although Everton usually tend to pick up in the second half of the season. As for Sunderland, Martin O'Neill's honeymoon period won't last forever and Spurs have a squad capable of beating them. Stamford Bridge isn't exactly the fortress it's previously been since AVB has come in so yeah, points there and the North London derby is probably the most open game in the premier league, points could go either way. Can never rule out a victory vs City and United on home territory and Spurs don't have to deal with European football.

Points everywhere really. All run ins are tough.

I'd quite like Spurs to win the League because no one's really expects it of them and I do think it is a real possibility. Spurs have actually managed to put together a team with bottle as well as talent for once. It does help that I don't really know any Spurs fans though.

I can only see Spurs strengthening this Jan as well in terms of players.