The Tottenham Hotspur Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 958
  • Views Views 92K
Funny feeling he will be off to United if we get Hazard in.

As a Scholes replacement? If he does sign for Utd, then that limits the opportunities for Cleverley. Fergie and the fans certainly do not want that to happen.

Sorry, but if Hazard comes in, it won't be to replace Modric. No chance. Different players, we're building not destroying.

I think that Hazard could be tied up soon. Announced before the end of the season like Modric was.

Based on what? Hazard is a very sensible and level headed guy, he won't make his decision until the end of the season. I personally think he will go to Arsenal (if they keep RvP and Wenger is still there and being backed with funds) or Chelsea (as long as they get back into the CL). Going to Man City is basically off the table because they can't offer him the same selection security as the others. If he went to United he would have to be playing instead of Valencia or Nani, both of whom have been superb this season. United will go for more of a central midfielder IMO, it suits them better. Tottenham would be tempting but I think there's a few problems with that deal.

1. Tottenham will need to purchase a Striker in the summer to replace Adabayor. Even if you sell Modric (who is going to replace him?) it's going to be a struggle to outbid Chelsea and get a top quality frontman.
2. There is no real assurance that Tottenham will maintain their recent standards. All the other clubs either have the money or the manager to give them a safety net.
3. You'd have to play him on the right hand side, replacing Lennon. He prefers to play on the left and cut inside on his right foot. He obviously wants to be a key player for whatever team he goes to, Arsenal and Chelsea can offer him that. Short of selling Bale, Tottenham cannot.
4. Harry. If he leaves for the England job in the summer then it's just going to add to point 2. The noises from Stamford Bridge indicate that AVB has Roman's full support in taking Mourinho's team apart, and both clubs have managers that are willing to put their trust in youth, like attacking, passing based football, and in theory at least are vaguely secure. If he goes to Tottenham, he knows that he is running the risk of joining a team that may fall apart.

As a Scholes replacement? If he does sign for Utd, then that limits the opportunities for Cleverley. Fergie and the fans certainly do not want that to happen.

No it doesnt. 2 players for each role. there would be game when they both play together, or as part of a 3

Sorry, but if Hazard comes in, it won't be to replace Modric. No chance. Different players, we're building not destroying.
Very unlikely it will be tied before the end of the season, he is keeping his options open, he has said so in several interviews, one of the most level headed players out there

Everything will hinge on Redknapp decision and if he goes who his replacement will be.

Very unlikely it will be tied before the end of the season, he is keeping his options open, he has said so in several interviews, one of the most level headed players out there

I think that if we are to sign him, then it would be before the summer if we have secured CL football. He did also say "I am interested in Tottenham. I hope it will be done soon."

I think that if we are to sign him, then it would be before the summer if we have secured CL football. He did also say "I am interested in Tottenham. I hope it will be done soon."

His favoured team is Arsenal, but he wouldnt mind Madrid.

In his interviews he said he is looking to play regularly, in a top side that plays good football, in the CL. Spurs have simply just joined that list

1. Tottenham will need to purchase a Striker in the summer to replace Adabayor. Even if you sell Modric (who is going to replace him?) it's going to be a struggle to outbid Chelsea and get a top quality frontman.
2. There is no real assurance that Tottenham will maintain their recent standards. All the other clubs either have the money or the manager to give them a safety net.
3. You'd have to play him on the right hand side, replacing Lennon. He prefers to play on the left and cut inside on his right foot. He obviously wants to be a key player for whatever team he goes to, Arsenal and Chelsea can offer him that. Short of selling Bale, Tottenham cannot.
4. Harry. If he leaves for the England job in the summer then it's just going to add to point 2. The noises from Stamford Bridge indicate that AVB has Roman's full support in taking Mourinho's team apart, and both clubs have managers that are willing to put their trust in youth, like attacking, passing based football, and in theory at least are vaguely secure. If he goes to Tottenham, he knows that he is running the risk of joining a team that may fall apart.

If I may:

1) They will probably need someone to replace Ade, yeah, as I don't think he'd agree to lower wages, although he might surprise us yet. That said, Damião would be a good replacement and a bid has already been made. Plus, you mention 'outbidding Chelsea'. The way things are going, you may find yourselves without CL football and that will certainly dent your chances of getting Hazard, both because your proposition will be less attractive and because splashing on several players will mean you'll be throwing FFP out the window.

2) There's no real assurance that any team will mantain their standards. Look at Chelsea, Arsenal, Inter, even Barcelona. No amount of money or managerial experience can 'ensure' anything in football. However, Spurs' squad isn't too old (Aside from a couple of players) and IMO they are in a good position to mount a title challenge next year or at least retain their CL spot.

3) Hazard is a versatile player, he's also very good through the middle, and Bale has played on either side and through the middle lately. It's not 'either/or', they could certainly play together, and there will certainly be a lot of rotation as well. Plus, let's be realistic, there's no doubt he has the potential to be a key player for whatever team he joins, I'm not sure where you're getting at here in all honesty.

4) There's no 'evidence' that Harry will leave, and there's certainly no evidence that Chelsea won't fall apart. If I'm honest I'm not sure AVB is going to survive the season, regardless of the 'noises' coming from Stamford Bridge. And from the outside Chelsea look far more likely to fall apart than Spurs.

I know as a Chelsea fan you probably wish Hazard picks you over Spurs, but can you honestly say that Spurs are not the better choice, as things stand?

I personally think he will go to Arsenal (if they keep RvP and Wenger is still there and being backed with funds) .

I wish I shared your optimism :(

No chance if we finish 5th would he want to play in the Channel 5 Thursday Night Club.

If I may:

1) They will probably need someone to replace Ade, yeah, as I don't think he'd agree to lower wages, although he might surprise us yet. That said, Damião would be a good replacement and a bid has already been made.

Do Spurs have the money for both? Honest question, I was under the impression that Tottenham didn't have that sort of financial muscle.

Plus, you mention 'outbidding Chelsea'. The way things are going, you may find yourselves without CL football and that will certainly dent your chances of getting Hazard, both because your proposition will be less attractive and because splashing on several players will mean you'll be throwing FFP out the window.

Which is why I said "Chelsea (as long as they get back into the CL)" I think it's incredibly unlikely that he would come to us if we couldn't offer CL football.

2) There's no real assurance that any team will mantain their standards. Look at Chelsea, Arsenal, Inter, even Barcelona. No amount of money or managerial experience can 'ensure' anything in football. However, Spurs' squad isn't too old (Aside from a couple of players) and IMO they are in a good position to mount a title challenge next year or at least retain their CL spot.

There is not total assurance but there are degrees of likelihood. Out of all of the clubs on that list, Spurs are the ones with the most potential to go wrong.

3) Hazard is a versatile player, he's also very good through the middle, and Bale has played on either side and through the middle lately. It's not 'either/or', they could certainly play together, and there will certainly be a lot of rotation as well. Plus, let's be realistic, there's no doubt he has the potential to be a key player for whatever team he joins, I'm not sure where you're getting at here in all honesty.

If Hazard plays in the middle or the left of the 4-2-3-1, you lose VdV. If he plays on the right then you're forcing him out of his preferred position (something that I have no doubt would work but what we're talking about here is what would be most appealing to Hazard). From everything he has said, it's clear that he wants to be one of the key players that starts week in, week out so rotation is more of a negative than a positive.

4) There's no 'evidence' that Harry will leave, and there's certainly no evidence that Chelsea won't fall apart. If I'm honest I'm not sure AVB is going to survive the season, regardless of the 'noises' coming from Stamford Bridge. And from the outside Chelsea look far more likely to fall apart than Spurs.

Can you really see Redknapp refusing the England post? Can you see the FA offering it to anyone else?

Besides, if Chelsea fall apart though, Roman has made it fairly clear that he is willing to throw money at the problem. If Spurs fall apart- the manager goes, certain players want to leave etc- they don't have the same financial power to turn things straight around.

I know as a Chelsea fan you probably wish Hazard picks you over Spurs, but can you honestly say that Spurs are not the better choice, as things stand?

Honestly, if I was him I would pick Chelsea. You have a club that is focusing on youth, has 4 members of your national team in it, has a greater status than Spurs atm (that arguably may change), wants to challenge for the title and the CL every year, arguably has more managerial security (I think Harry will go and I don't be believe that AVB will be fired unless we finish 5th, in which case we won't be getting Hazard anyway) and a club that will say "every match you want to play, the starting spot is yours."

If Chelsea fall outside of the CL and Arsenal get 4th I'd choose them, providing Wenger is given the money to make another good signing and RvP remains at the club.

Do Spurs have the money for both? Honest question, I was under the impression that Tottenham didn't have that sort of financial muscle.

I believe they do, they did have a big bid for Remy turned down in January, and if the takeover rumours are true then they'll have plenty more.

There is not total assurance but there are degrees of likelihood. Out of all of the clubs on that list, Spurs are the ones with the most potential to go wrong.

Based on what?
If Hazard plays in the middle or the left of the 4-2-3-1, you lose VdV. If he plays on the right then you're forcing him out of his preferred position (something that I have no doubt would work but what we're talking about here is what would be most appealing to Hazard). From everything he has said, it's clear that he wants to be one of the key players that starts week in, week out so rotation is more of a negative than a positive.

So you're telling me he wouldn't join Spurs because there is a possibility that he may or may not be played in his preferred position? =/ And rotation will happen regardless of the team he joins, no team can have their preferred XI on the pitch every game if they're playing in 3-4 different competitions plus international duty.

Can you really see Redknapp refusing the England post? Can you see the FA offering it to anyone else?

As a amtter of fact, I can. I think Redknapp has invested a lot of time already to let it go now. I think he could take over for the Euros but not as a long-term project. I believe this is his chance for glory.

Besides, if Chelsea fall apart though, Roman has made it fairly clear that he is willing to throw money at the problem. If Spurs fall apart- the manager goes, certain players want to leave etc- they don't have the same financial power to turn things straight around.

Well, there's been talks of a takeover by a multi-billionaire, of course that may nor may not happen, but the same goes for Spurs falling apart. Plus, throwing money at the problem would, as previously mentioned, throw FFP out the window, which would certainly not appeal to anyone.

Honestly, if I was him I would pick Chelsea. You have a club that is focusing on youth, has 4 members of your national team in it, has a greater status than Spurs atm (that arguably may change), wants to challenge for the title and the CL every year, arguably has more managerial security (I think Harry will go and I don't be believe that AVB will be fired unless we finish 5th, in which case we won't be getting Hazard anyway) and a club that will say "every match you want to play, the starting spot is yours."

Right now, I don't see Chelsea focusing on youth. As a matter of fact most of your players are in their mid twenties or even their thirties. Spurs are pretty much in the same position, and they've also challenged for the CL for the past two seasons and in the current one are mounting an outside title challenge as well. And Chelsea do not have a more secure managerial position by any stretch of the imagination. Just because AVB didn't get the boot after 6 months doesn't mean there's managerial stability in the club. Regarding your final bit there, no club in the world can guarantee a first team spot, you have to earn it. That said, Hazard has, as I said, enough quality to earn himself a starting spot pretty much anywhere, so I don't see that as a problem.

If people cant see that Harry is manouvering towards the england job they are not paying attention to his comments

I don't think he'll take it long-term, no.

He will, if you listen to his latest round. he says whoever takes the job should have it beyond 2012 and that the FA should delay naming a manager till the end of the season. Which would be very convienient for Harry

He will, if you listen to his latest round. he says whoever takes the job should have it beyond 2012 and that the FA should delay naming a manager till the end of the season. Which would be very convienient for Harry

I'm still pretty sure he won't. We'll see, but I don't see him throwing a decent chance of making history w/ Spurs for the very small chance of doing something with England.

I'm still pretty sure he won't. We'll see, but I don't see him throwing a decent chance of making history w/ Spurs for the very small chance of doing something with England.

It's not about winning everything with England, it's about the pride of managing his country - which is the biggest thing of all for men like Redknapp. There's a major international tournament every 2 years, there's 3-4 competitions every year domestically, if it was all about winning things, the top managers wouldn't bother with international management.

If you take the time to listen to Harry, being england manager would be the pinnacle for him, he has never hidden that fact, very spurs fans knows it

It's not about winning everything with England, it's about the pride of managing his country - which is the biggest thing of all for men like Redknapp. There's a major international tournament every 2 years, there's 3-4 competitions every year domestically, if it was all about winning things, the top managers wouldn't bother with international management.

If you take the time to listen to Harry, being england manager would be the pinnacle for him, he has never hidden that fact, very spurs fans knows it

That much I understand, but I don't think he's ever been so close to something this big.

That much I understand, but I don't think he's ever been so close to something this big.

He hasnt, and yet it still quite doesn't compare for him. For his generation, there is nothing bigger than England manager. Whether he is right or wrong on that is another matter.

Back