The Tottenham Hotspur Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 958
  • Views Views 92K
Wonder what this means for Nuri Sahin now. Rumours of a loan move to Arsenal are inevitably flying around although if Madrid wanted to send Sahin out on loan- Would they not have offered that in a package deal for Modric?

Not sure why Madrid are intent on throwing money away though. Sahin would probably walk into any team in the world bar 2-3.

They offered Sahin, but Sahin wasn't prepared to go to Spurs. I think he wants to go to club in CL if he's going anywhere. Yea I agree I'd stick with Sahin, but they are Real.

They offered Sahin, but Sahin wasn't prepared to go to Spurs. I think he wants to go to club in CL if he's going anywhere. Yea I agree I'd stick with Sahin, but they are Real.

Makes no sense either way though. How long will they keep delaying the situation with Sahin by sending him out on loan? Sooner or later they will have to either grant him a permanent move or assure him of first-team opportunities because their is little chance of him beating Modric/Alonso to a first-team spot

Makes no sense either way though. How long will they keep delaying the situation with Sahin by sending him out on loan? Sooner or later they will have to either grant him a permanent move or assure him of first-team opportunities because their is little chance of him beating Modric/Alonso to a first-team spot

I personally think he doesn't want to leave. If he has good loan move he has a chance of taking the first team spot or at least competing for it if either Alonso or Modric don't have that good season.

Also leaving now would brand him a flop which I don't think he's so keen on.

What a stupid penalty to give away. When will players learn

Not sure why they let him run between them like that.

Our lack of options up front has shown today. First half we looked decent, but it's been a lot of long ball action in the second with mini Jermain on the pitch.

Spurs need a striker and fast. Levy should just close the Modric transfer now... Just making things worse for his own club by dragging it out. Spurs could use the money to buy a proper striker

Apparently agreed 15 million fee for Dembele. Good player, but 1 year on his contract...

I'm extremely pleased with the Dembele signing. I thought Vertonghen would be my favourite buy of the window, but I think Mousa D takes it. Have been a fan of his ever since he joined Fulham.

Provided we get another striker (two, if Defoe leaves), a young goalkeeper and another midfielder/winger, I'll consider our money well spent and imagine we'll do quite well this season.

Sigurdsson, Vertonghen, Dembele, Lloris, Llorente and Moutinho would have been the ideal signings of the window for me.

Thus far, we have managed to acquire 3 of the 6. Llorente won't happen, but Lloris and Moutinho could yet join.

I personally think Willian will sign eventually, but I do think we'll overpay for his services if the Shakhtar rumours are true. I'd rather we put more money towards signing Leandro who is an out and out forward.

Quick summary of my thoughts this window:

From this:
Friedel
Walker - Kaboul - King - BAE
Parker - Modric
Lennon - VDV - Bale
Adebayor​

To this:
Lloris
Walker - Gallas - Vertonghen - BAE
Sandro - Dembele
Dempsey - Sigurdsson - Bale
Adebayor​

We've strengthened our GK department, but I'm still unsure how suited Lloris is to the Premier League. From what I've seen of him, he isn't the most assured when a ball is whipped in and sometimes flaps, which is suicidal in this league.

Our defence has weakened, despite the signing of Vertonghen as we have lost Kaboul to a lengthy injury, King to retirement and it appears Dawson has been frozen out despite our lack of depth in this area at the moment.

Our midfield has weakened overall. While it may include more goals on paper (with the signings of Dembele, Sigurdsson and Dempsey capable of around 20-30 goals between them in a good season), the creativity through the loss of Modric and Van der Vaart is going to show I think. We haven't replaced Modric with a like for like replacement, and as much as I rate Dembele, his strength is his guile and ability to dribble past players, not his passing range.

Our strikers are similar on paper. We have Adebayor and Defoe again, with rumours that Dempsey will be utilised at the front on occasion. This area is where we most needed strengthening in my opinion, and I don't think a permanent signing of Adebayor and a last ditch grab at Dempsey has solved that at all.

So all in all, I'd say our team has gotten weaker this window despite the baffling announcement that we've strengthened this window on SSN last night. That said, I think the Modric move was inevitable and I don't think we're as badly placed as I expected when I knew we'd lost him. Dembele needs to play a huge part in what will be a difficult season for us this year.

AVB said he/they never really thought they'd get him.

20 years ago today that Gazza made his Lazio debut after leaving Tottenham. One of the best English players I've ever seen.

“He ate ice cream for breakfast, drank beer for lunch and when injured he blew up like a whale. But as a player? Oh, beautiful, beautiful. I loved that boy,” ... “He was a genius, an artist, but he made me tear my hair out.” Dino Zoff on Gazza.

As loathe as I am to see Spurs doing well, good to see you beat United. You play good football with an exciting young team and I have a soft spot for AVB so I can almost justify not wanting you to get stuffed every week. Almost.

Andre-Villas-Boas-004.jpg

As loathe as I am to see Spurs doing well, good to see you beat United. You play good football with an exciting young team and I have a soft spot for AVB so I can almost justify not wanting you to get stuffed every week. Almost.

Andre-Villas-Boas-004.jpg

Great manager, Chelsea was just the totally wrong type of club for him and what he tries to do.

To be fair, that is half a dive, half self preservation. Watch the guy coming in at full speed, the Spurs man can see him from the corner of his eye. He's getting his legs off the ground at the moment of contact, trying to buy the foul and expecting to be clattered.. But you do not want to have your legs on the ground when someone comes in like that to boot it. I've done the same myself when playing, you feel stupid, but you're happier to have your legs intact. A lot more understandable than just falling over in the box for a pen.

Back