I agree daz, lots of tired players. I used to settle on a 22 man squad... 2 for each position. For this I like 25 man squad.

The regular 22, plus a 3rd GK, a versatile defender and a versatile midfielder. One of my attacking mids can usually cover as 3rd striker if desperate.

I agree daz, lots of tired players. I used to settle on a 22 man squad... 2 for each position. For this I like 25 man squad.

The regular 22, plus a 3rd GK, a versatile defender and a versatile midfielder. One of my attacking mids can usually cover as 3rd striker if desperate.

I agree too. My lot seem to be out on their feet as the season draws to a close. Might also have something to do with fixture congestion! 3rd in EPL, FA Cup finalists, Euro Cup semi-finalists. I haven't counted the games, but it must be well into the 50s.
The tactic has also become less exciting and less effective. It used to be incessant attacking, pressure and 90mph, but now it's become very laboured. I hope it's just the tiredness, coz I really want to make this my main tactic for next season.

Superb thread! Really captured my imagination.

The idea of playing IF's with no RWB, no FWD runs and 'moves into channels' in genius. Can't wait to try it.

Gonna implement this system with my Torino team (on FM12). Hopefully it should work as well!

Im gonna try tweak this tactic and test it out with my Roma side some tweaks I was thinking about making were moving the lb and rb to wing backs to add another dimension to the attack and change their wide play to cut inside so when they push up they will drag the opposition full backs inwards creating more room for the inside forwards therefor creating more clear cut chances hopefully anyway ;)

With my tweak I won my 1st game 6-0 and Wong backs got 1 goal and 1 assist and created a lot of room for my IF and ST

Tried this tactic on FM 2012 (I know, it was made for FM 2013!) and haven't had much success with it so far unfortunately. I am judging 'success' on 'sexy football' rather than results, which have been respectable.

I'm a follower of Bielsa and his philosophies (in particular, always having a spare man at the back). I have developed a tactic which works perfectly against 4-4-2 (or any 2-striker formation) and plays absolutely sublime football. It's basically a 3-4-3 with 3 roaming CM's (and is based on the 3-4-3 Barca played occasionally under Pep).

Here's a picture of it:

View attachment 366973

Unfortunately, it is not very effective against 1 or 3-striker systems (which I often coming up against), so I have been trying to adapt it to being more of a 4-3-3 shape. In doing so I am playing a back 4, meaning I effectively 'lose' a player from midfield or attack. Assuming I want to keep 2 men wide on each flank (FB and AML/R), I have to take a player from DM, CM (one of the 3) or ST position and put them in defence.

I tried playing a 4-6-0 with a diamond midfield and no striker (see following image). This worked pretty well, as the AMC (i.e. the 'false 9') would often spray balls over the defensive line to the onrushing inside forwards (AMR/AML).

View attachment 366975

There were, however, 2 main problems with this formation:
1. Having no striker made it difficult to press their CB's/Goalkeeper with the same intensity.
2. No striker meant no-one was stretching their defense vertically. Their defenders could push right up, and although this created space in behind (which made for some great through ball opportunities), it made it very difficult to dominate possession and control games, which I like to do. Football, to me, is all about creating space, and to do that we have to stretch teams from front to back as well as from side to side.

That ruled out the striker, although I perhaps playing a Trequartista in the striker position would work sufficiently. That means I would have to remove one of the 3 CM's or the DM in order to play a back 4.

I tried playing a 4-5-1/4-3-3 with 3 roaming CM's, and while the football was flowing and joyous at times, it wasn't as dominating as I'd like it to be, and it just didn't quite 'feel' right.

View attachment 366977

Upon writing this, I have had the idea of playing the same 4-3-3 system as shown above, but with the central CM moved back to the DM slot (whilst not changing his player instructions - meaning he will still make forward runs and roam from his position in order to find space).

Essentially, I am trying to replicate the dominance and brilliant football I was able to create in my 3-4-3 system in a system that works well against 1/3 strikers.

Note - not trying to hijack your thread - just wanted to share my experiences! :)

Loved this read and the tactic but the tactic doesn't seem to play as well anymore are you still tweaking it and updating it? If not please could you try?

very interesting thread,it's a very similar tactic to the one i created.
i learned a lot too.
keep up the good work!

Hi! Just wanted to push up this thread a little up. The OP seems like a nice lad and I loved reading his posts!
I am playing mostly with the Mypassion4FM tactic while tweaking it a little bit to fit my players/system ( I found it no matter what, it's impossible to emulate a tactic fully without tweaking it to your advantage, after all the tactic was created with different players). I have been making some changes also according to your tactic, which seems VERY interesting! I may as well even try it in my next save once the transfer window is closed down. Might change your formation though and see how it works...I am a much fan of 4-3-2-1 or 4-1-1-3-1.

Just a few questions I'd like to ask in expanding my understanding:

1) Why, eventually, did you put the IF's on Support?
2) Doesn't this tactic seem to be weak defensively? (from the posts it doesn't seem so, but on paper it should be!)
3) Do you alter between specific players depending on teams? (Like replacing Thiago for a more defensive player in the DLP, or changing the role to BWM)
4) BWN is a very, very important role in the game, how do you really cope without one?
5) What is your opinion on a T striker? Could fit your style of game and can contribute the fluidity of the tactic
6) Wouldn't it be better to have Strikers in the IF roles than playmakers? Strikers can offer more goals while you have Thiago and Isco bumping all creativity!
7) Why...Oh why did you completely changed the Liverpool team! :p Did you manage to try this tactic with the normal Liverpool team? Seen how the tactic can work with a team who doesn't have ALL the correct players / best monsters in the game. It can truly test the tactic!

Hope to hear from you soon, and great effort mate! Any updates?

Im still using this and I havent had the least possession in a match in over 15 seasons with different clubs.

Reading around these forums still seems like people are searching for possession tactics. Im amazed this hasnt had more love. Are others not having any success with it?

Hi! Just wanted to push up this thread a little up. The OP seems like a nice lad and I loved reading his posts!
I am playing mostly with the Mypassion4FM tactic while tweaking it a little bit to fit my players/system ( I found it no matter what, it's impossible to emulate a tactic fully without tweaking it to your advantage, after all the tactic was created with different players). I have been making some changes also according to your tactic, which seems VERY interesting! I may as well even try it in my next save once the transfer window is closed down. Might change your formation though and see how it works...I am a much fan of 4-3-2-1 or 4-1-1-3-1.

Just a few questions I'd like to ask in expanding my understanding:

1) Why, eventually, did you put the IF's on Support?
2) Doesn't this tactic seem to be weak defensively? (from the posts it doesn't seem so, but on paper it should be!)
3) Do you alter between specific players depending on teams? (Like replacing Thiago for a more defensive player in the DLP, or changing the role to BWM)
4) BWN is a very, very important role in the game, how do you really cope without one?
5) What is your opinion on a T striker? Could fit your style of game and can contribute the fluidity of the tactic
6) Wouldn't it be better to have Strikers in the IF roles than playmakers? Strikers can offer more goals while you have Thiago and Isco bumping all creativity!
7) Why...Oh why did you completely changed the Liverpool team! :p Did you manage to try this tactic with the normal Liverpool team? Seen how the tactic can work with a team who doesn't have ALL the correct players / best monsters in the game. It can truly test the tactic!

Hope to hear from you soon, and great effort mate! Any updates?

Sorry I missed this, not had much time lately.

1+6, IFs on support is down to the in game definition of the role. Everything was created with a vision of having lots of creativity and not many out and out goalscorers. I went to huge lengths to get a Striker that would play more like Messi than a regular striker. IFs on attack create opportunities for themselves, they run and dribble and shoot. I wanted less dribbling, more passing, more assists. Im sure if youve read this thread and the one that came before it you will be well aware it was based on the way Spain U21s play, only mixed with a false 9 striker.

2, At first I was losing silly goals costing me points. I stuck with it and I think this iswhere other people, who dont have the passion for this tactic that I obviously do, lose patients and drop the tactic. I stuck with it and eventually it came good. My goals conceded is right up there with any other top formation Ive ever used. But I am still having those dodgy results where I have 70% possession and 20 shots vs 3 shots and draw 1-1 etc. Ive just learnt to deal with it.

3, I only ever alter for fitness, I have 2 11's. I play the first 11 versus tough games, and the 2nd versus weaker games. Obviously fitness permitting. I dont alter a specific player for tactical reasons pretty much ever.

4, I had one at first, and I noticed he was off like a headless Ramires all over the pitch. When you have so much of the ball, you really dont need a ball-winner.

5, Im sure a T striker could work. Along the way I used different types of forward and I really had to work hard to get my dream false 9 type forward.

6, I wanted players there who were going to be technically superb. With passing being the main focus. I think making them into attacking IF strikers, you might as well just go ahead and use a generic 4231 with all action IFs that you can find on this forum no problem.

7, Like I said, the dream was to build the Spanish U21 based team, playing that style then adding players who I thought were capable of fitting in. Anyway, Coutinho remains, lol

Im not interesting in creatiing some amazing tactic that works wonders with average teams, this tactic was created to make beautiful football based around my beautiful football playing squad. NOTHING else mattered!

I´m testing it now. Seems good, will come up with some screenshots when the season is finished.

Playing with Arsenal in 5th season (16/17)

playing as Roma in first season, thought it would work quite well due to the IF roles and Totti would be an ideal DLF, but this tactic is just so defensively suspect, i feel like every time the opposition applies itself, they can score.

Also, for a possession tactic, i thought id have more, you know, possession
View attachment 472122

This tactic is absolutely brilliant. It's obvious the creator put a lot of work in tweaking it and it delivers. High possession, beautiful football, very solid defensively and creating a decent amount of CCCs.

Wanted to thank you mate for sharing your work, I think it's fantastic. It doesn't try to exploit the game, does everything by the book and whether it wins or loses, it does so in style. Thankfully, it mostly wins!

Good to hear!

What was your line up? Im interested because Im thinking about the types of player I could use in each position further down the line.(mainly thinking CM and AMR/L, also ST)
I just downloaded your tactic. Might give it a go later. But I have used 2-3-1 mainly as a home tactic because of the beautiful offense and the threat of the amc. The personnel I have used are ST Falcao, Neymar, AML Hazard, Neymar AMR Shaqiri, El Shaaraway, Mata AMC Oscar, Neymar, Hazard MC M'Vila, Gundogan, Cristeg. Cristeg in particular has been a dominant pickup for me, he typically racks up the most tackles per match, something around 8.2. He gets possession and then sets up the offense beautifully. M'Vila is also a great ballwinner and there was one season where he had double digit goals and assists. I think Gotze or Ozil would also be great AMCs but they might not want to leave their respective teams. There are so many great strikers who could work with the tactic though. Such as Lewandowski, Fierro, Gabbadiani, etc.

Am using this with City now. Took them over 18th Jan, 3rd, 11 points off top. Any help where my preferred team should be? I'm using the transfer update. Also, would Negredo fit into this tactic?

Hello,
A little question to you guys who have been using this a while! Should it also work using a smaller team?
Thinking of giving it a try with Tranmere, or is it to attacking minded??

Cheers