This game is sooooo scripted!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game IS scripted, EG in FM10 Man City always signed Darijo Srna as it was scripted that way.

Srna never signed for City on any of my FM10 saves....

well and even if that happens. Maybe the game starts transfers at one point. But simulate 5 games 5 years further and I don't think everything will have gone the same way. So transfers ARE NOT scripted. What is it with you guys. Like the match engine, allright, but now even starting to say that transfers are scripted. What do you play fm for when it's all scripted anyway. Buying a game where you can just watch what happens to you when you find your way through a scripted future.

well and even if that happens. Maybe the game starts transfers at one point. But simulate 5 games 5 years further and I don't think everything will have gone the same way. So transfers ARE NOT scripted. What is it with you guys. Like the match engine, allright, but now even starting to say that transfers are scripted. What do you play fm for when it's all scripted anyway. Buying a game where you can just watch what happens to you when you find your way through a scripted future.
Not all transfers are scripted, but in my experience most in the first season are.

ok the first season is scripted (according to you). if you don't care just play from the first season. if you do care start playing in the second season.

ok the first season is scripted (according to you). if you don't care just play from the first season. if you do care start playing in the second season.
I normally play at least 2 or 3 seasons, I don't really care about it tbh, I was just pointing it out.

no i agree, to me it seems fixed to... for about ALOT os results now i guessed the results half way through the game easily, i mean i noticed this on fm2010, but on 2011 it just seems alot worse.

Perhaps the variables that influence game outcomes before the game is actually played are now in need of tweaking ....maybe re-loading a game to the day before isnt enough to "erase" these variables...like a star player being unhappy . If thats true and re playing a game 20 times results in 20 wins or losses i'de say these pre-kick off variables need toning down to allow for more varied results...but it must be a difficult thing to balance i'de imagine.

Well, some things may be scripted but match engine surely not.

Once I was making a long term save with Boavista, from Portugal, and in my third season I reached europa league, got man city in the group, who had a monstrous team, I only had portuguese young players ( about 20 portuguese, 4 brazillian) , I thought I was going to be trashed, but I got there and I won 3-1 away, the most surprising win ever (alongside 5-0 with Benfica to Inter Milan)

"The game's designers have decided that no team should win all games and quite right too. But us clever players work out how to get best players, tactics etc, so if they just left it to straightforward maths, we would always win.

What they do is create some random generator, based on certain conditions within the game, to decide that certain games will be heavily weighed against you. In these random games, the mathematical formulae are modified in favour of the lesser team and are modified by a very large factor, to make the outcome almost certain."

Thank you. In my experience this is almost certainly true.

There's definitely an issue with the match engine. I've had Van Persie score a hat-trick in every single one of his last 6 games. Yes, he could be "just that good", but it really kills the realism when that sort of extremely unlikely thing happends!

No I decided to comment without reading your post!
**** of course I read it.
Stop cheating by reloading.

if you read it, then probably your mind is too simplistic to understand what OP is saying.
He is saying that "ALL CIRCUMSTANCES ARE THE SAME"
goalscorer, cards, scoring time.

so just GTFO if you're just here to screw some OP.

"The game's designers have decided that no team should win all games and quite right too. But us clever players work out how to get best players, tactics etc, so if they just left it to straightforward maths, we would always win.

What they do is create some random generator, based on certain conditions within the game, to decide that certain games will be heavily weighed against you. In these random games, the mathematical formulae are modified in favour of the lesser team and are modified by a very large factor, to make the outcome almost certain."

Thank you. In my experience this is almost certainly true.

Noooo, thank you.

I wholeheartedly agree with this conclusion, as in my experience it is indeed almost certainly true.

Bad luck can be a very harsh mistress. I've had more numerous experiences in the sense that FM05 had powers to read the mind than you can have of scripted games. Every [censored] time I thought "I should change this part of tactics?... hmmm... " there was the opposition scoring!. Gaaaaaaaah!! FM05 gets inside my head and every time it detects I'm thinking on modifying tactics it decides to get the goal before I do!. Well, nope, despite how creepy frequently it happened. I swear, no less than 85% of times I thought of tactical changes I received a goal before clicking the button to get me to tactic screen, no input to the game that could hint I was considering any changes.

If you want to convince us of scripting, give us numbers. How many scripted or not scripted?. What conditions each?. What are the whole set of variables and data that can possibly affect the match for either side?

Or FM05 has a mind reading program with FM05 that doesn't need peripherals for mind reading?

LOL! How many times does that happen? You can see that your CB (or whoever) is gonna cost you a goal and decide to change it but... just a fraction too late to stop him costing you a goal... soooooo frustrating, but then it works the other way too. How many times have you decided to substitute a player cos he's having a stinker and he pops up with a goal/assist right before the sub happens? Happens to me regularly :)

I normally play at least 2 or 3 seasons, I don't really care about it tbh, I was just pointing it out.

2 or 3? My FM09 game is into season 19 (or 20?) now and I'm still playing it occasionally :/

====

This thread has had me howling with laughter at some of the comments. I wonder if those who think the game is 'scripted' also think that online poker is 'rigged'? It would not be in SI's interests to take away the randomness of the game in any way, it's about learning the game and what works for your team and what doesn't.

If my team loses a game that, in theory, it shouldn't then I analyse the whole pre-game period, my tactics v the opposition's, my teamtalk, the opposition players that were up against my poorer performers, the fitness/morale/form of the team as a whole but especially the poorer performers and try to figure out what I did wrong rather than blaming it all onto the programming.

I've been playing this game since it was CM2 (1995?) and I've also been one for restarting games that we should never have lost IN THE PAST... I don't need to do that now, nor do I want to, if my team loses then, as the manager, it is ultimately MY FAULT and I take the blame, period!

Yes, it's fairly easy to blame the game for being scripted because you lost. It's your own fault and maybe due to some circumstances

Sometimes, when my team is on a winning run for a while, then suddenly i meet a unexpected humiliating defeat, makes me wonder, am i playing the game, or is it that the game was ******** with me all the time.

Transfers are NOT scripted. It may seem it, but it works like this -

A club has a set transfer budget. They will usually only sign players that they need, and will automatically move for the best player in that position that they can afford, and will join them. Darijo Srna is the best player in his position for two or three seasons, and that is why ManCity, and other huge teams move for him.

This thread has had me howling with laughter at some of the comments. I wonder if those who think the game is 'scripted' also think that online poker is 'rigged'? It would not be in SI's interests to take away the randomness of the game in any way, it's about learning the game and what works for your team and what doesn't.

If my team loses a game that, in theory, it shouldn't then I analyse the whole pre-game period, my tactics v the opposition's, my teamtalk, the opposition players that were up against my poorer performers, the fitness/morale/form of the team as a whole but especially the poorer performers and try to figure out what I did wrong rather than blaming it all onto the programming.

I've been playing this game since it was CM2 (1995?) and I've also been one for restarting games that we should never have lost IN THE PAST... I don't need to do that now, nor do I want to, if my team loses then, as the manager, it is ultimately MY FAULT and I take the blame, period!

I never said it was "scripted." What I did say is that the games designers have built in a mechanism to make it very difficult for you to keep winning, even if you have the best players, best training, best strategy and so on, in that certain (and only certain and then probably at random) matches will have had the odds/probabilities bent very heavily in favour of the weaker team.

When you say that you accept you've got something wrong if you lose, how do you explain if you replay the game with exactly the same parameters (and I really mean exactly the same in every sense) and you then go on to win. Do you then take credit for getting it right?

As a side note: gambling establishments always have the odds tipped in favour of the house, so even if you win an individual hand, spin, game etc., over time you will lose and if you play you're a mug!!

The analogy does have some merit in that my contention is that the game's designers tip the odds/probabilities of you getting an unfavourable result more heavily in this direction if you're doing too well (so as to achieve a more realistic overall result).

Nobody's saying it's wrong for it to be done in this way, but don't be blind, ignorant fools in thinking that as you approach each match you will only get a poor result if you do something wrong. It just ain't true!!

Let's hear from a real programmer involved in the production of this software and get them to say categorically that no such mechanisms have been built into the game, because the outputs of the game prove otherwise.

@Piginho: of course there's something that increases probs of the Sunderland defeating Chelsea, there needs to be shock resuts as it happens in RL, but that's not something to express in "I lost again X GAME IS SCRIPTED" (I'm not saying you said it, with such long thread I don't really know who said what), it's as simple as form runs, morale status and so on. One of the ways it can be done is that Sunderland will have increased benefits for their good runs and good morale etc than Chelsea and Chelsea will get higher penalties from the bad morale, harmony, etc than Sunderland, so maybe the result of the weighing of those may end that at the date of the save, those factors out of the tactics/formation end giving Sunderland higher chances of winning the next game despite being the a priori weaker side. And scripted has been hurled. I'm kind of not sure if we disagree at all or how you get to support the scripterists (somehow, even if you don't say scripted, well, you don't really but... eh since you seem to reply against notscripterists) ;). Maybe my problems with english made me not be understood right (or didn't quite get you). Heh, it's kind of a mess, so perhaps it's kind of better to say "we're not really that disagreeing, in the end it's just a very subtle difference in exposition, as it sounds"

LOL! Lazaru5, I think you took me too much to the letter or seriously as if I were complaining, I'm just exposing a case of really weird coincidences, that there's something wrong with my tactic and the AI scores not in any minute but just after I've spotted it and am during consideration of pertinent changes, not during the 65 mins of match before (and I've not yet clicked on teamname to ask the changes). So thing is, I see enemy winger getting the back of my full back, then I think "okay, can't let him so free. Before going to tactic screen and change, let's consider, close down more? drop deeper? stop forward runs? Man or zonal? wider or na--- gaaaah they scored now I lose 0-1. sigh... narrower? yes, no, yes, zonal still wider, *click team name button*". Therefore for one, two, three or four instances out of a lot of reloads in which such behavior as described in the first post happens, I will not jump to scripted! (in the way scripted is used there).

Or when playing NWN online, when I roll for actions of little importance (not action scripted, mind you, there's no way the program can know if I'm rolling to scratch my **** or block the arrow coming to the noble's head according not to engine combat but DM's emote) I roll 20s (auto success), but as soon I'm in a DMed event and it's time to roll for the result or something important, I always roll 1's (auto failure). It's weird, but it's not the game being after my ***, just some weird luck.

This has been edited a few times in sensible parts of first paragraph

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.