Transfer Rumour Thread 2011/2012

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8K
  • Views Views 610K
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's unfair. They're completely different types of player, Walcott is perfectly suited to a wide role with his low centre of gravity and his pace. Bendtner just isn't.

Never stopped Emile Heskey. :D

Whether he's suited or not. Walcott played as a forward and has to now play as a winger.

Last edited:
There's possibly a reason why he hasn't been played, or indeed has been played out of position. He's ****.

Actually, that's unfair. Occasionally he's excellent. MOSTLY he's ****.

Sums up Niklas Bendtner pretty **** well.

I actually like him, but he's one of the most frustrating players imaginable. Has a huge ego (to the point he complains when he isn't starting ahead of RvP and says he's one of the best players in the world) and is hugely inconsistent. His terrible display vs Burnley (I think?) when we drew 0-0 and then his hat-trick (albeit tap-ins and a penalty) vs Porto in the 5-0 home win is a great example of that. When he's in form, he can be an excellent player, but he'd never be more than a rotation/squad player at Arsenal.

Also - Poulsen plainly IS ****. And them both playing well for the Danish national team isn't especially difficult. No offence intended, but they're big(ish) fish in a small pond. Denmark aren't the most talented side, so its easy for players to do well for the NT and not so well at their clubs in the best league in the world.

The Walcott comparison is just silly. His passing & creativity suck balls, but he has pace to burn and is a ****** good finisher. Made sense in Arsenal's system to put him out on the wing. Thierry Henry was converted from a wide-player to a forward, doesn't mean David Bentley could make the same move.

Righty ho. Now we have a new manager, let the wild speculation of ridiculously out of reach targets begin!

Wait, what? DJ Campbell, you say?

No, wait, this is much better. Julian Draxter, the Schalke wunderkid, is rumoured to be making a loan move to Villa. To quote from the badly-translated link:
"According to entries from across the Channel, the 'Aston Villa would like to hire for next season Julian Draxler, young playmaker Schalke 04.The '93 class had debuted in the season just ended, the first team in the league, collecting 15 appearances by a seasoned network.Germany is considered one of the greatest talents have emerged in recent years."

One must consider other factors, too. With the return of Stephen Ireland, Villa fans can ***** up their ears and brains after realising that there's a new manager for him to fall out with. Joking aside, there's a player somewhere in there, and it's possible he could unlock his talent. Otherwise, Fabian Delph will likely continue in the driving midfield role he made his own towards the end of last season. Likely candidates alongside him in the centre of midfield include Jean Makoun or Stiliyan Petrov (holding role) and A.N. Other, the promising young talent brought up from the reserves (actually, likely Barry Bannan or Gary Gardner, if McLeish doesn't bring back the elder and worse Gardner from Small Heath).

Finally, and most importantly, is the defence and goalkeepers. What with Villa employing the so-far stunningly successful tactic of NO goalkeepers whatsoever (0 goals conceded!) McLeish might not consider this area worth investing in. I say might, because he would be an absolute ******* idiot not to. Top on the list is a new right-back: utility man Luke Young is ageing, and whilst he is still one of the most reliable full-backs in the league it would be worth scouting around for some new talent. As such, Villa have been linked with the mighty, er, Wes Brown, and have also been rumoured to be looking at Alan Hutton, replacing the excellent performances of Spurs loanee Kyle Walker last season with his slightly worse all-round Tottenham teammate. On the other side of defence, McLeish is apparently considering retaining the services of near-pariah-to-Villa-fans Stephen Warnock, an unpopular move. In the centre, things are more complicated. James Collins, whilst having an inconsistent year last season, remains young enough and good enough to have his services retained. Richard Dunne, however, is ageing and McLeish will need to make a careful decision about him. Whilst Ciaran Clark looks to follow on from his excellent last season at his favoured position of centre-back, Carlos Cuellar seems to be certain to leave for Rangers. Frankly, it'd be hard not to sympathise with the biblically patient Spaniard, consistently overlooked in favour of the pair the Villa fans were, with typical black humour, calling "The Chuckle Brothers", and his departure would only serve to increase the vitriol coming McLeish's way.

Goalkeepers are the really important position. Ben Foster is reportedly the top target, others such as Lee Camp, Frank Fielding and (god help us all) Robert Green have all been linked.

That's your lot for Villa gossip, I think.

Last edited:
28m + Sturridge for Modric? That's the most retarded deal I've ever seen, and people laughed at us for signing Carroll for 35m! Chelsea continue to prove they fail at signing players.

You think £35 million for Carroll is a better signing than £28 million + Sturridge for Modric would be?

I actually like him, but he's one of the most frustrating players imaginable. Has a huge ego (to the point he complains when he isn't starting ahead of RvP and says he's one of the best players in the world) and is hugely inconsistent. His terrible display vs Burnley (I think?) when we drew 0-0 and then his hat-trick (albeit tap-ins and a penalty) vs Porto in the 5-0 home win is a great example of that. When he's in form, he can be an excellent player, but he'd never be more than a rotation/squad player at Arsenal.

Also - Poulsen plainly IS ****. And them both playing well for the Danish national team isn't especially difficult. No offence intended, but they're big(ish) fish in a small pond. Denmark aren't the most talented side, so its easy for players to do well for the NT and not so well at their clubs in the best league in the world.

The Walcott comparison is just silly. His passing & creativity suck balls, but he has pace to burn and is a ****** good finisher. Made sense in Arsenal's system to put him out on the wing. Thierry Henry was converted from a wide-player to a forward, doesn't mean David Bentley could make the same move.

Well said.

But I always stick by my Grandad and his annoyance of Bendtner.

"That lad can't even finish his breakfast"

Skysports.com understands Wolves have made an enquiry about Liverpool defender Paul Konchesky.

Yayayayaya

gabby obertan has been put up for sale THE TIMES / lassana diarra has been told he can leave and is in talks with man utd METRO

QPR, Sunderland, Everton, Newcastle looking at Jay Bothroyd. (skysports.com) Bothroyd gone from England squad to no1 rushing to offer him a contact. 6 months ago there was rumour's a "big" club wanted him. Haha things change so quickly in football these days.

QPR, Sunderland, Everton, Newcastle looking at Jay Bothroyd. (skysports.com) Bothroyd gone from England squad to no1 rushing to offer him a contact. 6 months ago there was rumour's a "big" club wanted him. Haha things change so quickly in football these days.

Nope. He's going to be snapped up by my Arsenal Free-Agents XI - a team compiled entirely of players who used to play for Arsenal at one point in their careers and are now free agents:

Lehmann

Kerrea Gilbert - Campbell - Upson - Thomas Cruise

Roarie Deacon - Randall - Vieira - Pires

Aliadiere - Bothroyd.​

We're going to pwn.

We're also trying to convince Cedric Evina and Seb Larsson to cancel their imminent deals with Charlton and Sunderland respectively. Plus bringing Kanu out of retirement aged 34. Pascal Cygan and Richard Wright are on the bench n all.

Udinese have stated no deal has been brokered with Barcelona for Alexis Sanchez amid weekend reports the starlet would be flying in to finalise the transfer.

If his passing and creativity is **** but is extremely fast and a ****** good finisher. Why put him on the wing? "****** good finisher" is what most people would look for in a striker?

Udinese have stated no deal has been brokered with Barcelona for Alexis Sanchez amid weekend reports the starlet would be flying in to finalise the transfer.

The 22-year-old forward is currently training with the Chilean national squad ahead of next month's Copa America, but was thought to be ready to leave the camp to rubber-stamp the transfer.

The Catalan giants have reportedly offered €28million (£24.6m) up front along with a €11m (£9.6m) bonus and promising youngster Jonathan Soriano in exchange.

However, Udinese president Giampaolo Pozzo insists Sanchez remains the club's player as Barcelona's offer remains well short of the club's asking price.

"Sanchez is still an Udinese player," he told Sky Sport 24 Italia. "I'm sorry about this 'saga'. We wanted to keep him for another year to help us with the UEFA Champions League qualifiers.

"But unfortunately we're not a big club in Europe, so when top clubs put their eyes on our player you cannot do anything. But the right offer has not yet arrived.

"Barcelona's offer is not yet the right price, and everyone knows it: both Barcelona and other big clubs. Between us and Barcelona we are still far away."

Sigh.. Dont even know which all teams are involved. Barca and City are in for sure..

If his passing and creativity is **** but is extremely fast and a ****** good finisher. Why put him on the wing? "****** good finisher" is what most people would look for in a striker?

Because Wenger was unwilling to change the role that the forward has always had at Arsenal under him. In a 4-3-3, we've never had a player who was simply quick and a good finisher - the modern "poacher", if you will - partly, I believe, because Wenger was ahead of the times a little. Anyway, to save me going on a rant about how great Wenger is, the simple explanation is simply that he didn't fit the system as a lone striker, and we weren't going to go back to 4-4-2 just to suit him.

His role on the right hand side allows us to get the best out of him (as a winger at least) and RvP, who drops deep and allows Walcott to move in behind him. Bendtner doesn't have that pace, so was largely useless on the wing. He's a big guy with a bit of skill, but nowhere near enough to use that role well.

I think we need to find a middle ground here - Bendtner IS largely ****, but playing him on the wing hardly helped things.

Because Wenger was unwilling to change the role that the forward has always had at Arsenal under him. In a 4-3-3, we've never had a player who was simply quick and a good finisher - the modern "poacher", if you will - partly, I believe, because Wenger was ahead of the times a little. Anyway, to save me going on a rant about how great Wenger is, the simple explanation is simply that he didn't fit the system as a lone striker, and we weren't going to go back to 4-4-2 just to suit him.

His role on the right hand side allows us to get the best out of him (as a winger at least) and RvP, who drops deep and allows Walcott to move in behind him. Bendtner doesn't have that pace, so was largely useless on the wing. He's a big guy with a bit of skill, but nowhere near enough to use that role well.

I think we need to find a middle ground here - Bendtner IS largely ****, but playing him on the wing hardly helped things.

Okay, I'll go with that.

I dont think Konchesky is that bad just is not good enough for a club like Liverpool. Didnt he do pretty well at Fulham and West ham?

I heard he was even pretty bad at Forest when he went on loan there. Didn't watch him much though, if any Forest fan could confirm. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back