Transfer Rumour Thread 2011/2012

• Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 592K
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we sign Varane still, I can see us loaning him back to his club. Evans will stay this season and be gone next summer with Varane coming back and him being loaned out to an EPL club. Then when he comes back Rio will be too old to be a regular and Jones/Varane will slot in alongside Nemanja and Smalling will be 3rd choice for one more season before Nemanja starts winding down and Jones/Varane/Smalling all start fighting to be first choice depending on how much they've developed over the 2/3 years.

I think we will not sign Varane, even if we does, maybe we will loan him. We play close to 60 games a season, there will be plenty of chances.

Evans is low on confidence maybe one more season on loan to get back to his best, and then Rio will be at twilight of his career.

Not really "plenty of chances" over 60 games for 5/6 CBs. Rio + Vidic haven't really been rotated as much as just being injured and Smalling being thrust into the action earlier than planned due to Evans being ****. I know you're keen to big up Utd's rotation policy. You remind me/others of it whenever you get a chance and insist that everyone gets a game etc.

Assuming both Rio and Vidic are able to play 30+ League games a season (Vidic made 35, and 47 in total, Rio 19 and 24 in total), that really only leaves room for one, max. 2 other CBs to get regular games. Unlike other areas of the field, it's risky to rotate CBs too often. A partnership and understanding between them and the 'keeper is vital and considering you're going to have a new GK as well, you'd assume the experience of Rio and Vidic will be used as often as possible to help him.

Chris Smalling made 34 apps in total last season, but wasn't expected to. How are Varane (who's made 23 apps) and Jones (who's made 26 apps) going to fit in realistically? They won't be happy sitting on the bench.

Seem a lot of Sunderland fans want Evans.

Not really "plenty of chances" over 60 games for 5/6 CBs. Rio + Vidic haven't really been rotated as much as just being injured and Smalling being thrust into the action earlier than planned due to Evans being ****. I know you're keen to big up Utd's rotation policy. You remind me/others of it whenever you get a chance and insist that everyone gets a game etc.

Assuming both Rio and Vidic are able to play 30+ League games a season (Vidic made 35, and 47 in total, Rio 19 and 24 in total), that really only leaves room for one, max. 2 other CBs to get regular games. Unlike other areas of the field, it's risky to rotate CBs too often. A partnership and understanding between them and the 'keeper is vital and considering you're going to have a new GK as well, you'd assume the experience of Rio and Vidic will be used as often as possible to help him.

Chris Smalling made 34 apps in total last season, but wasn't expected to. How are Varane (who's made 23 apps) and Jones (who's made 26 apps) going to fit in realistically? They won't be happy sitting on the bench.

Both Varane and Jones can play an anchorman role in midfield as well, this versatility was part of the reason why Ferguson is/was keen on Rodwell, except Rodwell is midfielder who can play centre back, these two are the other way around. If we sign Varane, i would expect him to go straight back to France on loan, thus negating some of your argument.

It wouldn't surprise me if we signed all 3 of them to be honest, i did on FM11... ;)

Both Varane and Jones can play an anchorman role in midfield as well, this versatility was part of the reason why Ferguson is/was keen on Rodwell, except Rodwell is midfielder who can play centre back, these two are the other way around. If we sign Varane, i would expect him to go straight back to France on loan, thus negating some of your argument.

It wouldn't surprise me if we signed all 3 of them to be honest, i did on FM11... ;)

It negates some of my argument. It doesn't negate all of it because Ferdinand is probably still going to be 1st/3rd choice if he's fit in two seasons time and Vidic isn't yet 30.

That's why I said before that unless SAF pushes Jones into DM, I'm slightly surprised by the move.

Still - Everton fans will be happy.

No way Rio will make 30 plus league appearances. And Varane is not signed and there is nothing official from club that we are going to sign him. There are rumors that Evans may go out on loan. He will get his chances as a CB and also as a DM. We have FA cup, CC and Champions league group stages where he will get plenty of games.

Edit: You keep saying our players dont get opportunities, I will keep bringing up our rotation policy.. We dont have fixed starting 11..

Last edited:
Jones will get the game, who realistically thought Smalling would get that many games last season?

Papers: Sanchez favours United

08/06/2011 10:07
8694C9754D1F4B559739FFD7E54A7BB4.ashx

Phil Thomas writes in The Sun...

San's the man for £30million
Manchester United will have to splash £30million to prise winger Alexis Sanchez from Udinese. United were hoping to land the Chile golden boy, 22, for £5m less - but the Italians are refusing to lower their asking price. Sanchez prefers a link-up with Alex Ferguson ahead of Barcelona, as he knows he would spend as much time on the bench as the Nou Camp pitch. His agent, Fernando Felicevich, has met bosses at the Spanish giants to discuss personal terms but NO deal is in place. And there is a belief at United, who have also held extensive talks, that it is a ploy by Udinese to push up Sanchez's price.

The same newspaper claims Aston Villa have given the green light for United to complete a £16m move for Ashley Young - who's getting married this weekend - and says Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp values Luka Modric at more than the £20m the Reds would reportedly pay for the Croatian midfielder. The Times goes further to refute the Modric to Manchester talk, quoting the player's adviser Mario Mamic as saying he will stay at Spurs this summer.

The Daily Star suggests Sir Alex Ferguson will have to wait to sign David de Gea with the Atletico Madrid goalkeeper quoted as saying he wants to concentrate on the UEFA Under-21 Championships with Spain, which commence this Sunday.

The Daily Express says Gabriel Obertan and Wes Brown could move to Southampton as part of a deal to bring 17 year-old winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to Old Trafford.

Not the most reputable sources, I know. I can't see Obertan/Brown going to Southampton. How would they afford their wages? Sanchez is the one that excites me though, but I think we may settle for Young

TBH I am not convinced Sanchez would cut it in the PL. Obertan & Brown may go on loan deals to Southampton maybe?

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Jones will get the game, who realistically thought Smalling would get that many games last season?

Utd need to start getting the replacement for Rio sorted, he is 32, so he realistically hasn't got a great deal of time at the top

According to SSN he actually turned down Arsenal to sign for us, not Liverpool.

Interesting, and not something that has happened lately with young players so very good news!

So Arsenal were interested, not Liverpool. Phew..

TBH I am not convinced Sanchez would cut it in the PL. Obertan & Brown may go on loan deals to Southampton maybe?

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Utd need to start getting the replacement for Rio sorted, he is 32, so he realistically hasn't got a great deal of time at the top

I can't see Obertan moving down a league, there'd be a few clubs in Ligue 1 that would take him. What's their keeper situation like? Because Brown + Amos would be a good option. Also, what makes you think Sanchez wouldn't cut it? I think he'd be as fantastic here as he is with Udinese, I wouldn't sign him for £30M though unless Valencia is leaving (or, Nani goes & Sanchez is willing to play down the left).

One more thing, we have a replacement for Rio; his name is Chris Smalling.

According to reports in the Netherlands, we're close to signing Mounir El Hamdaoui from Ajax for £5m-7m. Sounds like a brilliant deal, only came to Ajax last summer for a £5m fee. Jol knows him, Dembélé knows him, he isn't happy at Ajax and would surely like to come.

I keep telling.... Valencia is one of the best RWers, who gives a **** if can't do any trick ? Sanchez is very good, but I rate Valenica higher. Also, if you need players with bag of tricks there is Luis Nani. Also, Obertan is good, he just need a chance. Great deal about Jones. Now, I don't think we'll sign Varane. If we still sign him, I can see him going to loan at Lens for a season. He's 18 for god sake, he'll get lot of chances in future :) SAF, save that 30 million for playmaker ;)

How I would love to hear:

"Phil Jones has not managed to agree terms with Manchester United and is now on his way for a medical at the Emirates."

But it won't happen.

@TonyBarrettTimes
Anyone got any idea where Phil Jones is? :)

Wonder what he means by this?

Jeez. Some people are never happy.

People say Arsenal need experience, we need to spend £20m + on one player.... Then when it comes out we're interested in Jones, everyone's suddenly keen on him, then when we DON'T sign him, it's all about how Wenger didn't offer him enough cash or can't attract good players any more etc.

Sometimes - just sometimes - a player chooses another club. Utd being a) Champions and b) In Lancashire make more sense than Arsenal for him, clearly.

Sorry - just a little rant after some of the stuff going around on twitter etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.