Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

The explosion at number 3 reactor they reckon was the same as reactor 1. Releasing the pressure from inside caused the hydrogen to explode. They say the reactor 2 is also having similar problems so could yet be another explosion. The core is apparently intact in number 3.

Rods are now officially fully exposed in number 2 reactor (Japanese news source). The good news is so far, that even though a US Carrier Group had to move further out, background radiation levels in Eastern Russia and Phillipines are pretty much standard.

Last edited:
Rods are now officially fully exposed in number 2 reactor (Japanese news source). The good news is so far, that even though a US Carrier Group had to move further out, background radiation levels in Eastern Russia and Phillipines are pretty much standard.

What reactor has the rods exposed? Is it any that have had an explosion.

What reactor has the rods exposed? Is it any that have had an explosion.

Reactor 2 at Fukushima unfortunately. Looking at reports, they're having problems with overheating now at another reactor. No. 1 I think, though they've started puming water into No.2 reactor.

Last edited:
So a meltdown could well be on the cards then after all.:O

Really hard to say-situations changing so quickly. But Tokyo Electric are now saying that a meltdown cannot be ruled out in No 2 reactor

Most Physics experts agree that any disaster is more than likely to be on or near the scale of a 3 Mile Island rather than a Chernobyl.

Most Physics experts agree that any disaster is more than likely to be on or near the scale of a 3 Mile Island rather than a Chernobyl.

Did 3 Mile leak radioactive gases or materials with totally blowing? cant remember off top of my head

Did 3 Mile leak radioactive gases or materials with totally blowing? cant remember off top of my head

Partial meltdown due an accidental loss of coolant which went unnoticed by newly trained engineers.

Unknown amounts of radioactive gas and contaminated materials were released into the environment, but ultimately a major disaster was avoided, the plants sister reactor remains in operation and there has been no quantifiable effect on the health of citizens living nearby.

Last edited:

Lets just hope the experts are right.

Just seen on the news the Germans are having Anti Nuclear protests saying how a reliance on nuclear power is not acceptable after seeing what has happened in Japan.

Partial meltdown due an accidental loss of coolant which went unnoticed by newly trained engineers.

Unknown amounts of radioactive gas and contaminated materials were released into the environment, but ultimately a major disaster was avoided, the plants sister reactor remains in operation and there has been no quantifiable affect on the health of citizens living nearby.

Was meant to type without blowing lol-that I would've remember. Didn't realise it's sister reactor was still going today though.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Just seen on the news the Germans are having Anti Nuclear protests saying how a reliance on nuclear power is not acceptable after seeing what has happened in Japan.

Thought there would be protests. Thing is I would rather take nuclear power any day compared to natural resources. If I'm not mistaken, nuclear power can outlast the longitivity of fossil fuels by a mile. And it's cleaner

They're now saying, that they're expecting within the next 3 days, an aftersock of 7.0. There was another 5.9 shock earlier

Last edited:
Switzerland will also not be renewing the licenses of its nuclear reactors when they expire, and will then shut down all their nuclear facilities, citing the reliance on nuclear energy as unnecessary and unsafe, given the recent events in Japan.

All seems a bit over-reactionary to me, espically considering Germany and Switzerland are unlikely to ever fall victim to an Earthquake or a Tsunami.

I'm not some super pro nuclear nutter who ignores other opinions, but nuclear power (but for a few well publicised accidents) is actually pretty safe.

3 Mile Island was a ultimately a close call rather than a full blown disaster, and Chernobyl was down to the stereotypical Soviet Bloc combination of poor engineering, little to no safety features and poor management of the facility.

Yay ignorance, or just manipulation of a tragedy. Devastating earthquakes and tsunamis aren't exactly a huge risk to German nuclear power plants.

Switzerland will also not be renewing the licenses of its nuclear reactors when they expire, and will then shut down all their nuclear facilities, citing the reliance on nuclear energy as unnecessary and unsafe, given the recent events in Japan.

All seems a bit over-reactionary to me, espically considering Germany and Switzerland are unlikely to ever fall victim to an Earthquake or a Tsunami.

I'm not some super pro nuclear nutter who ignores other opinions, but nuclear power (but for a few well publicised accidents) is actually pretty safe.

3 Mile Island was a ultimately a close call rather than a full blown disaster, and Chernobyl was down to the stereotypical Soviet Bloc combination of poor engineering, little to no safety features and poor management of the facility.

I think people hear about something about Chernobyl, and straight away, without reading more into it, just make up their minds there and then. If they read more into the facts about nuclear power, and just ignore the countless scaremongering that goes on nearly everywhere, they'd see it haves so many advantages over natural fuels. Like yourself I'm pretty much pro-nuclear but don't go mad about it. And can see why people would be scared about something that if went wrong, would cause so many problems. But they have to see at some point, its the only way forward.

BBC website going crazy with breaking news over a meltdown alert.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12733393

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Breaking news bar also announcing that the fuel rods in one of the reactors are now fully exposed and the containment vessel has been damaged.

heard about the rods, but didn't know about the vessel being damaged.

Seems that was a misquote, as it's been removed from the site and the rolling video keep saying no damage to the vessel. Rods confirmed as exposed though, hence meltdown alert.

Thing is, as they're using sea water to cool the rods, surely that would mean they couldn't use the reactor anymore because of the sea water?

Thing is, as they're using sea water to cool the rods, surely that would mean they couldn't use the reactor anymore because of the sea water?
yep the reactor is now out of use because the water wasn't de-ionised

yep the reactor is now out of use because the water wasn't de-ionised

I see. Well, better to use sea-water to prevent an explosion even though it does render it unusable, than just give up and let it blow.