Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

I see. Well, better to use sea-water to prevent an explosion even though it does render it unusable, than just give up and let it blow.
very true, scary thing is that this could all have been worse...

very true, scary thing is that this could all have been worse...

God yes. On the positives, one of the oil ports is nearly fully operating so it shows they're doing they're best to go back to normal. Though Tokyo Electric shares plummetted 26%. And a finincial expert was saying the economic forecasts were overly pessimestic. Still, it won't bring back peoples lives. And Russia is ready to offer Japan a massive amount of emergency supply. So out of the carnage, there could be closer relations between nations.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

It still can be.

Think the main threat now is going to be the water supplies being infected by potential disease, and food supplies, and getting displaced people shelter.

1507: Nuclear fuel rods have been exposed again at the Fukushima plant, Kyodo news is reporting. More on this as we get it.

BBC breaking news.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

1513: Water level in reactor 2 at Fukushima has fallen again, AFP now reporting citing Japanese media.

1521: Fears of a partial meltdown at the Fukushima plant would appear to be growing, as Kyodo news agency reports that fuel rods in number 2 reactor are again "fully exposed".

Last edited:
1507: Nuclear fuel rods have been exposed again at the Fukushima plant, Kyodo news is reporting. More on this as we get it.

BBC breaking news.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

<LI class=type-9999>1513: Water level in reactor 2 at Fukushima has fallen again, AFP now reporting citing Japanese media.

<LI class=type-9999>1521: Fears of a partial meltdown at the Fukushima plant would appear to be growing, as Kyodo news agency reports that fuel rods in number 2 reactor are again "fully exposed".

Worse still, just heard on the radio that rods in all 3 reactors "appear" to be melting.

^^
Thought rods 1 and 3 had exploded and another one was looking like it was going to explode? Can someone clarify for me?

^^
Thought rods 1 and 3 had exploded and another one was looking like it was going to explode? Can someone clarify for me?

The rods were fully exposed in reactor 2 (not sure if still fully-hearing conflicting stories), so they started pumping in sea water. But basically, the problems are getting worse from what I'm hearing

The rods were fully exposed in reactor 2 (not sure if still fully-hearing conflicting stories), so they started pumping in sea water. But basically, the problems are getting worse from what I'm hearing

are the 'experts' still trying to reassure people by saying it's all under control?

^^

No the outer buildings which house reactors 1 and 3 were destroyed by an explosion. The reactors and their containment vessels are currently stable.

The explosion was caused because the cooling systems failed again and caused a build up of hydrogen, which needed to be vented to prevent a major incident, hydrogen when mixed with a material used to house nuclear reactors becomes highly explosive, hence the 2 explosions.

The rods in reactors 1,2 and 3 have all been fully exposed due to a lack of coolant at various points as far as i can tell, meaning all three of them will have at least partially melted, but it's very unlikely that they will physically explode. The risk comes if they melt and then sit in the bottom of the containment vessel and begin a secondary nuclear reaction, which will reheat everything and begin melting everything around the radioactive material. The radioactive material will then bore a hole through everything in its path, eventually findng its way into the outside environment.

Reactor 4 is offline and safe AFAIK.

No the outer buildings which house reactors 1 and 3 were destroyed by an explosion. The reactors and their containment vessels are currently stable.

The explosion was caused because the cooling systems failed again and caused a build of of hydrogen, which needed to be vented to prevent a majot incident, hydrogen when mixed with a material used to house nuclear reacotrs becomes highly explosive, hence the 2 explosions.

The rods in reactors 1,2 and 3 have all been fully exposed due to a lack of coolant at various points as far as i can tell, meaning all three of them will have at least partially melted, but it's very unlikely that they will physically explode. The risk comes if they melt and then sit in the bottom of the conatinment vessel and begin a secondary nuclear reaction, which will reheat everything and begin melting everything around the radioactive material. The radioactive will then bore a hole through everything in its path, eventually findng its way into the outside environment.

Reactor 4 is offline and safe AFAIK.

Unfortuantely you're right. Just been said they have started to melt, but the chances of an explosion have lessened.

Cheers for the clarification Jake. Sounds like a grim situation. Hopefully they can control it and the protective layer continues to do its job

they have started pumping water into it again and there has been some melt. The earlier explosion knocked out the pump trucks and that why the rods got exposed.

Thought there would be protests. Thing is I would rather take nuclear power any day compared to natural resources. If I'm not mistaken, nuclear power can outlast the longitivity of fossil fuels by a mile. And it's cleaner

The thing is, this isn't a result of nuclear power being inherently unsafe, it's due to the fact an 8.9 earthquake just hit, followed by an extremely powerful tsunami. We might as well stop living in houses, I mean, the earthquake destroyed them too!

There is research into methods of re-processing nuclear waste so that it can be used again, which would turn hundreds of years of supply of Uranium into thousands. It doesn't release air pollutants and it has an extremely high energy density yield. Considering the intense amount of research and safety that has been put into this, it would be insane for country's away from any earthquake danger to stop its use, it is a massive solution to our energy problems. And these are still methods just by fission, there's research and experimentation into creating fusion reactor's. It'd be nice if people would think where they expect energy to come from if they want to get rid of nuclear. there may well be a nobel prize in it for them.

The thing is, this isn't a result of nuclear power being inherently unsafe, it's due to the fact an 8.9 earthquake just hit, followed by an extremely powerful tsunami. We might as well stop living in houses, I mean, the earthquake destroyed them too!

There is research into methods of re-processing nuclear waste so that it can be used again, which would turn hundreds of years of supply of Uranium into thousands. It doesn't release air pollutants and it has an extremely high energy density yield. Considering the intense amount of research and safety that has been put into this, it would be insane for country's away from any earthquake danger to stop its use, it is a massive solution to our energy problems. And these are still methods just by fission, there's research and experimentation into creating fusion reactor's. It'd be nice if people would think where they expect energy to come from if they want to get rid of nuclear. there may well be a nobel prize in it for them.

Is it at all possible to turn nuclear weapons into a source of energy? Instead of getting rid of the weapons and dumping them somewhere, surely it could be turned into an energy source?

Is it at all possible to turn nuclear weapons into a source of energy? Instead of getting rid of the weapons and dumping them somewhere, surely it could be turned into an energy source?

Nuclear weapons are effectively just the uranium we use for energy that has been souped up. So yes it could.

Nuclear weapons are effectively just the uranium we use for energy that has been souped up. So yes it could.

I see. That's crossed my find couple times over years, but didn't think it would be possible as I thought there was some sort of process with weapons grade materials, that would make it unusable to power stations.

I see. That's crossed my find couple times over years, but didn't think it would be possible as I thought there was some sort of process with weapons grade materials, that would make it unusable to power stations.

Basically we use U-235 isotopes in fission. But only about 0.7% is present naturally, so we have to collect it and enrich the uranium. In power stations you enrich it to about 3-4%, and in nuclear weapons you have 20-80%, so you'd just need to make it less pure. The thing is converting them, no country is ever going to want to be the first to disarm themselves.

It is already. Mox fuel is made from weapons grade plutonium.

I cannot remember a time when I've learned so much from one thread lol. Remarkable

Wonder how bad it really is now. The rods are again fully exposed and now they're asking the US for help.
Is there any word at all on British people over there? All I hear so far is grave concerns from the government