Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

• Thread starter Thread starter Max
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 599
  • Views Views 28K
One of my uni mates is Japanese, he has friends and family in Tokyo - I hope their ok :(

Anyway, hope all the Japanese forum members are ok, and condolences go to the families that have lost their loved ones :'(

If they're in the city they should be ok I think. Luckily (in a way) Japan is used to earthquakes (albeit not on this scale). But it's probably the safest city to be in during an earthquake to be honest.

Just watching something on channel 5. Crazy stuff. The death toll is 1000 and thought to be rising much much more in the coming days.

6.6 magnitude earthquake just hit central Japan. Unclear if it connected to the earlier quake or not.

Geological survey web says it was North west Honshu, so by looks of it another strong aftershock. Last thing they needed

When you see a wave a mile inland, with a whirlpool off the coast, carrying a boat and a car right next to each other you know stuff is ****** up. The more you read, the worse it gets.

When you see a wave a mile inland, with a whirlpool off the coast, carrying a boat and a car right next to each other you know stuff is ****** up. The more you read, the worse it gets.

Pretty much yeah. Makes you appreciate the power of nature. Sounds like West Coast USA took some hits too. Californian town harbour took "significant damage", with waves measured up to 8ft

There's been a few nutters on the Sky News website. Someone actually blamed Obama in his quest for oil causing it. Some people should've been kept in the asylum.

And in case anyone thinks the moon caused this, I've provided this link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-supermoon-cause-todays-natural-disaster.html

It hasn't caused this Earthquake, it's 8 days too soon for starters. But it will cause the moon's gravitational pull on Earth to increase by about 1/6 which is quite interesting. I doubt anything major would happen because of that, but scientist's have considered it worthy of having some research paid to it.

The nuclear situation is very worrying indeed.

If they're in the city they should be ok I think. Luckily (in a way) Japan is used to earthquakes (albeit not on this scale). But it's probably the safest city to be in during an earthquake to be honest.

He's trying to get hold of them, but he can't get through - he's really starting to panic now :S

It hasn't caused this Earthquake, it's 8 days too soon for starters. But it will cause the moon's gravitational pull on Earth to increase by about 1/6 which is quite interesting. I doubt anything major would happen because of that, but scientist's have considered it worthy of having some research paid to it.

The nuclear situation is very worrying indeed.

To be honest, I think it'll affect tides a lot more than anything else, and possibly the weather. But I guess that would be about it.

likely to be a couple more earthquakes. It's rare for a single one to happen.

and I'm sure the nuclear plant had this contingency planned out. It'll work out alright.

I believe the contingency plan was that the cooling system would activate immediately to cool the massive amount of heat contained in reactor's.

I believe the contingency plan was that the cooling system would activate immediately to cool the massive amount of heat contained in reactor's.

There is more than one contingency plan. Absolutely no way that Japanese having a NUCLEAR plant wouldn't take every precaution.

And from what I've heard on the news is the death toll is 100, with 1000 missing, not 1000 dead.

and most of tokyo proper is in good shape due to their technological and scientific advances in the field of seismology

Looks like Japans getting it from all sides now (in reference to one Godcubed mentioned earlier)
A 6.6 magnitude shock has just been reported in the Nagano Niigata area of Japan, apparently on a different faultline from the 8.9 magnitude quake earlier.

There is more than one contingency plan. Absolutely no way that Japanese having a NUCLEAR plant wouldn't take every precaution.

And from what I've heard on the news is the death toll is 100, with 1000 missing, not 1000 dead.

and most of tokyo proper is in good shape due to their technological and scientific advances in the field of seismology

There's little they can do barring extreme measures if the cooling fails, such as releasing the radioactive pressure. Of course they're aware of multiple solutions, none of them are exactly ideal, though.

Worst thing is, that Japanese town that has 70,000 people living there, the fire brigade have failed to bring the blaze under control-pretty much unstoppable. Could that become a firestorm? Or is it too small a town

Just been on Sky News that it's Nitrogen-16 that is being released, which has a half life of 5 seconds and decays to stable Oxygen, so it's perfectly safe environmentally.

My friend at school is an exchange student from Japan and his whole family lives near where this earthquake is hitting really badly, hope they are ok.

Is there a list of the countries that have been warned?

There's little they can do barring extreme measures if the cooling fails, such as releasing the radioactive pressure. Of course they're aware of multiple solutions, none of them are exactly ideal, though.

What I'm saying is, they've probably got plans for releasing it and with dealing with the effects. Japan has never taken anything radioactive or nuclear lightly. I can't really say how, but it's possible they can release in a relatively safe way (large underground tanks/far out into the ocean?)

List on page 2 of this thread I think Joe, not sure if its changed though

Worst thing is, that Japanese town that has 70,000 people living there, the fire brigade have failed to bring the blaze under control-pretty much unstoppable. Could that become a firestorm? Or is it too small a town

Hard to predict firestorms. Mostly depends on the fuel and atmospheric conditions.

My friend at school is an exchange student from Japan and his whole family lives near where this earthquake is hitting really badly, hope they are ok.

Is there a list of the countries that have been warned?

Whole of the pacific basin pretty much, though Australia and New Zealand had alerts lifted. Some of the west coast of the USA and Alaska got some damage, with 8ft waves reported in some parts. But I think (hopefully I'm right on this) the majority of Tsunami warnings (bar the West USA) have been lifted.

Back