Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

• Thread starter Thread starter Max
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 599
  • Views Views 28K
perhaps this is in poor taste but...

japan3.gif

hold F11 for intended effect

What I'm saying is, they've probably got plans for releasing it and with dealing with the effects. Japan has never taken anything radioactive or nuclear lightly. I can't really say how, but it's possible they can release in a relatively safe way (large underground tanks/far out into the ocean?)

Yes of course, as sad as it is to say, it's fortunate it hit Japan rather than say Indonesia again. They're incredibly prepared.

Yes of course, as sad as it is to say, it's fortunate it hit Japan rather than say Indonesia again. They're incredibly prepared.

I have to say, watching the re-runs of the footage, they seemed incredibly calm, which i found fascinating, seeing that the quake was so powerful. Was remarkable

Rest in Peace to those who have passed during this disaster. The pictures i've seen are horrific..

I think 2011 is showing the World in it's true colours. How many political wars and civil battles have started over the past month or so, a clear sign that us human beings are struggling to live together.. On a broad scale going back, the amount of terrorism on the increase. The point i'm trying to make is that we may be at fault for the increase of natural disasters due to our crazy polluting acts, but it's just horrible how the human race aren't helping eachother, if anything, we're fighting eachother..

What have we done to the World..

2006: Three to four new power supply cars have arrived at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant in north-eastern Japan to provide emergency electricity for the earthquake-damaged cooling system of one reactor, the World Nuclear Association has said. The power cars are being prepared for connection, the WNA said, citing the Japanese ministry of economy, trade and industry. Other power modules are being flown in.

2009: The World Nuclear Association said pressure inside the containment of Reactor 1 at Fukushima-Daichi had been steadily increasing over the time that its emergency core cooling systems had not been active. The Tokyo Electric Power Company reported at 0200 local time (1700 GMT) that pressure had increased beyond reference levels, but was within engineered limits, the WNA added.

Was watching the news earlier and there was somebody in their car trying to get out of their town, unfortuantly the water/mud got there just before him and basically surrounded the whole town :(

I'm curious. There's a 3.3 quake thats just been recorded in Hawaii. Is that linked?

I'm curious. There's a 3.3 quake thats just been recorded in Hawaii. Is that linked?

Very much doubt it. would be volcanic based in Hawaii, as Hawaii doesnt actually sit on a tectonic boundary (which causes the quakes in Japan, NZ etc) Its sits on a mantle plume instead...

almost 100% sure

This is the world we live in.

Strings of natural disasters, wars and chaos have always plagued humanity.

It's nothing new, and it will never ever change. Even if the world unified to fight off **** zombie martians in a bid to colonize the former planet Pluto, we will still bicker amongst ourselves and take natural disasters as a spiritual warning (as we've done for eons).

the hole south paific tectonic plate is very unstable at the moment it would not surprise me if there another big earthquake in the coming days

unfortuanately japan will have aftershocks for months maybe years

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

hopefully not in christchurch again

Very much doubt it. would be volcanic based in Hawaii, as Hawaii doesnt actually sit on a tectonic boundary (which causes the quakes in Japan, NZ etc) Its sits on a mantle plume instead...

Ah right. Was just wondering. Obviously it's a very small quake, but wasn't entirely sure about the boundaries of the Ring of Fire, so wasn't sure if the major quake may have sparked off a small quake

the hole south paific tectonic plate is very unstable at the moment it would not surprise me if there another big earthquake in the coming days

Hawaii is in the middle of the plate, and is effected by a mantle plume, rising from deep in the Earth, which is what causes tectonic activity there, same kinda thing as is under Yellowstone, which is also in the middle of a plate.
Volcanoes and earthquakes which happen around the ring of fire, are different, they are caused by the plates sliding against each other, and when they break, causes earthquakes. (very simply)

Fingers crossed there isn't. But the other 6.6 quake was on a different fault line in Japan. Whole things a mess

Last edited:
****** **** that's awful, things like that shouldn't happen. Hope people are ok, I know some won't thoogh.

The 3.3 mag quake you guys are talking about happened on the 24th of February and it only lasted 5 seconds. Minor tremors were felt in Honolulu. There was another quake in the last week in Yunnan, China. Over 18k homes destroyed and close to 300 casualties. :/

2 people dead in California from tsunami.

Most likely a couple of idiots.

The 3.3 mag quake you guys are talking about happened on the 24th of February and it only lasted 5 seconds. Minor tremors were felt in Honolulu. There was another quake in the last week in Yunnan, China. Over 18k homes destroyed and close to 300 casualties. :/

yeah I've just checked it again. Think I'm gonna stick with the geological survey for info from now on and the NOAA. ****** :$

Back