• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 84K

Full-Time Score

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see Arsenal winning this tie, 3-2 to Arsenal first leg 2-0 Barca second leg.

Just look at the quality gap

Szczesny vs Valdes
Fabregas vs Xavi (closest imo)
Wilshere vs Iniesta
Nasri vs Messi
RvP vs Villa

the problem with Arsenal is that too often there team lacks enough experience throughout the squad, now that Fabregas, Nasri etc have developed we have taken to developing Szczesny and Wilshere, both great but not World Class, like we would need to face up to Barca. Then again Barca's bullying tactics to buy the players they want don't help, but that's another story entirely.

Forget the pre-match jitters, here's some light reading: My tactical preview for tonight's match for STV :HERE

And I musn't forget Another blogger's preview, also for STV, a little different, but no less enjoyable and thought provoking!

Right, with that plugging out of the way, COME ON YOU GUNNERS!

I can't see Arsenal winning this tie, 3-2 to Arsenal first leg 2-0 Barca second leg.

Just look at the quality gap

Szczesny vs Valdes
Fabregas vs Xavi (closest imo)
Wilshere vs Iniesta
Nasri vs Messi
RvP vs Villa

the problem with Arsenal is that too often there team lacks enough experience throughout the squad, now that Fabregas, Nasri etc have developed we have taken to developing Szczesny and Wilshere, both great but not World Class, like we would need to face up to Barca. Then again Barca's bullying tactics to buy the players they want don't help, but that's another story entirely.

I'd say that the Arsenal squad is more versatile, Barcelona's line-up is predictable but don't get me wrong, it works 98% of the time. They play similar football, just that Barcelona have somewhat mastered it. They play against very, very different opposition week in, week out so it will be interesting to see the approach that each manager takes. Both will be cautious and will be intimidated. I think the home support in this match will play a massive part on the results!

I don't know why, but I have a massive feeling that Arsenal are going to turn out a massive performance tonight and cause an upset...

Changing my prediction;

Arsenal 2-1 Barcelona.

Arsenal 4-1 Barca

Messi to give Barca the lead then 4 Samir Nasri goals ;)

Lmao, whys everybody trying to jinx it haha.

All I ask of this match is that we don't try to go defensive from the off. As long as that happens I will be satisfied.

Arsenal 2, Barca 0.

But then the score will be 7-1 at the Nou Camp.

Either way, looking for a good match as a neutral tonight!

hope arsenal win more english clubs in later stages the better imo pluswould **** platini off:)

Arsenal 3-1 Barca
Walcott hattrick
also Messi to get hurt get depressed then get as fat as Maradona

How Arsenal can beat Barcelona

Post categories: Football, football tactics
Alistair Magowan - BBC Sport | 06:31 UK time, Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Ever since Arsenal and Barcelona were pulled out of the hat to meet in the last 16 of the Champions League, reigning champions Inter Milan have been held up as an example of how to beat the Catalan giants in Europe.
Inter's two-legged win over Barcelona in last season's semi-finals was achieved in the second leg where, reduced to 10 men and hanging on to a 3-1 home leg victory, they were happy to yield possession and committed themselves to all-out defence.
The chances of Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger taking a similar approach to then Inter boss Jose Mourinho is even less likely than the prospect of a goalless draw between the Gunners and Barca on Wednesday evening.
Instead, Wenger will get the opportunity to show that attack can be the best form of defence and prove that his team have progressed since they lost to Pep Guardiola's Spanish charges at the quarter-final stages last season.

The problem for the Arsenal boss is that Barcelona have improved too, adding David Villa to their ranks to supplement the likes of Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta, Pedro and Xavi.
Former Arsenal full-back and Match of the Day pundit Lee Dixon has admitted that lots of things will have to go right for Arsenal to make the last eight this time.
But, apart from the recent 4-4 Premier League draw at Newcastle where they had Abou Diaby sent off, he has seen signs they have become more solid in defensive areas.
He has also identified aspects where the Gunners can play to their attacking strengths.
"Arsenal were a bit naive last year against Barca in the first leg," Dixon said. "They thought 'we can go out and play as well' and they ended up being too open.
"That's not to say they have to play defensively this time, but they didn't get tight enough, especially in Barcelona's midfield, which is now as strong as ever.
"I don't think Arsenal can change their approach. They have got such a forward thinking mentality that they stick to it, but if they are to get any joy against Barca then they will need width and it's not something that always comes naturally.
"At times, Arsenal play quite centrally with short passes and try and play their way through teams so I think Theo Walcott could be a key player for them."
That proved to be the case last season, where Walcott's introduction in the home leg helped Arsenal claw their way back from 2-0 down to secure an unlikely 2-2 draw.
Comparing the average positions for Arsenal in the first and second half of that game show how Walcott (number 14) was their most advanced player.​
arsenal_v_barca_touches.jpg

"I don't think Barca have the best defensive full-backs," Dixon added. "And I'd actually like to see Walcott play on the left cutting in on his right foot against right-back Dani Alves."
With Alves one of Barcelona's rampaging outlets, there would be plenty of space to exploit and the England winger has also been more positive in Europe this season, improving the frequency of his goals, his shots on goal and their accuracy.
Another aspect that Dixon has urged is a premium on possession, which is something Arsenal have improved on in the attacking third in the Premier League this season.
"You would like to think that as good as Barcelona are, Arsenal will have the ball for a fair share of the game which means the opposition hasn't got it," he stated. "The more you restrict Messi, Iniesta and Xavi from having the ball, the better.
"If you know you are going to get it back then you can be a bit sloppy in some of your passing or you might try and knock a few risky balls. That is clearly not going to be the case here so it's very important Arsenal treat the ball like money."
Arsenal have been described as Barcelona-lite for their attacking approach but if they are to succeed this time, Dixon said, the Gunners need to replicate some of the Spanish champions' defensive qualities too.
Guardiola's team are renowned for their collective pressing with the Spanish coach reasoning that the higher up the pitch his team win the ball, the closer they are to the opposition goal.
The key factor when attempting to do this is that groups of players are involved, allowing deeper midfielders or defenders time to adjust their positions.
However, Wenger's team are not noted for their shape when they don't have the ball.
They are particularly vulnerable to counter attacks with statistics showing that over the past two Premier League seasons they have conceded the highest percentage of goals this way, with only Wigan conceding more in number.
"When you lose the ball against Barca, wherever you are on the pitch, there has almost got to be an instant blueprint that you go to," Dixon explained.
"Obviously you react to where the ball is, but I think their positioning elsewhere on the pitch has to be quicker. It has almost got to be instantaneous."
This also goes for closing down space when Barcelona are further forward. That is when the importance of midfielders Jack Wilshere and Alex Song is underlined.
"I was watching Messi in the 1-1 draw against Sporting Gijon on Saturday and he goes off and wonders around the pitch but then he just stands still in front of the back four with other players just running off him," added Dixon.
"He's brilliant at it, and then all of a sudden the ball comes to him and he's 15 yards outside your penalty area and he's off. That's why that area is a really key one. Wilshere, for example, has to be disciplined.
"Sometimes because he is so young, the 19-year-old can get a bit enthusiastic and go off and leave Song on his own, but against Barca that would not be wise.
"Going forward Arsenal have got enough about them to worry any team. I don't think they should back down on attacking, but I think the transition into defence is the major thing they can improve on. It might be the aspect that earns them a decent result.
"How things work defensively is not something at the forefront of Wenger's mind most of the time. He's aware of defence but it's not a priority for him which could be their downfall.
"They are more than capable of scoring against anyone so any sort of victory would represent a good result and even a 0-0 is never a bad thing in Europe at home."
Betting odds of 14-1 suggest that is unlikely. Yet if Arsenal can retain their attacking instincts while remaining compact they could be capable of springing a bigger surprise.​

Think if Arsenal want to win this game then what they do off the ball will be the most important factor. What they did against Barcelona last year was try to play them at their own game, and as a result got absolutely outclassed. It was like Arsenal allowed them complete freedom, I don't remember them trying to press the ball at all and one thing you have to do against a team like Barcelona is put them under pressure so they make mistakes.

They could've honestly been about 4-0 up in the first 20 minutes last year at the Emirates. One things for sure though, if they allow Xavi to have the kind of time and space he did last year Arsenal will be in for a long night.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sjmEfM1c88&feature=related"]YouTube - Xavi VS. Arsenal - Beautifully Simple by ElAlonso[/ame]

I honestly hope Arsenal can win this over the two legs. They've got players back that they didn't have for this game last year (RVP in great form, Fabregas not carrying injuries).

Arsenal Starting XI:

Szczesny
Eboue Djourou Koscielny Clichy
Song
Fabregas Wilshere
Walcott
-------------------------- Nasri
Van Persie

Barcelona Starting XI:

Valdes
Alves Pique Abidal Maxwell
Busquets
Xavi Iniesta
Messi
--------------------------- Pedro
Villa

Last edited:
Goodluck Arsenal going to be a great game, can't wait.

Team to play Barcelona: Szczesny, Eboue, Clichy, Koscielny, Djourou, Song, Wilshere, Fabregas, Nasri, Walcott, Van Persie

Team to play Barcelona: Szczesny, Eboue, Clichy, Koscielny, Djourou, Song, Wilshere, Fabregas, Nasri, Walcott, Van Persie

Already posted both line ups above....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back